Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I found that simple item use can really help "patch up" most non-optimal builds, so I wouldn't start over. Just have a handy stash of grenades on the ready, dump some points into throwing (You really don't need too much), and it can save your butt a lot of times.

epeli

Arcane
you recieve bonus from the highest stat, not from both (which is retarded, there isnt a single martial art that shouldnt benefit from both, tbh Styg should probably key melee to both, maybe maul just to str).

I think you and Styg have the same general idea there, but the implementation differs. Melee benefits from both stats: STR increases damage depending on weapon type, DEX increases crit chance and also reduces AP cost for light weapons. Minmaxing str/dex isn't always the best choice for melee builds.

However, bonus to melee skill (which is a large factor in damage and precision) comes only from the highest stat. Why? Probably to keep things consistent, but getting that bonus from 2 stats would also be too much. Especially for some NPCs. Now, you might think that melee could be based on 50% STR 50% DEX and that would keep the overall system balance (althought that would not change anything in this case) but it would be a nerf to most melee players because they'd need more stat points to reach their old bonus. It would also be inconsistent, as the practical ceiling for this bonus would be lower than for any other skill.

Lhynn

Arcane
I'll do that only if i get stuck, since I'm not really trying to be optimal. Besides, what's so horrible about it?
Will lack damage, survivability and will be a sitting duck.

Provided I want to play psi monk in heavy armor, I can't really drop str below 8
Sure, if thats what you want to play its fine. Youll have a rough time tho.
And yeah, dont put points in dodge and evasion in heavy armor, better divert them to mechanics.

My only problem so far is chasing down some enemies, which I guess can ruin a character, but for now I'm fine.
Fair enough, let us know how it goes.

Lhynn

Arcane
you recieve bonus from the highest stat, not from both (which is retarded, there isnt a single martial art that shouldnt benefit from both, tbh Styg should probably key melee to both, maybe maul just to str).

I think you and Styg have the same general idea there, but the implementation differs. Melee benefits from both stats: STR increases damage depending on weapon type, DEX increases crit chance and also reduces AP cost for light weapons. Minmaxing str/dex isn't always the best choice for melee builds.

However, bonus to melee skill (which is a large factor in damage and precision) comes only from the highest stat. Why? Probably to keep things consistent, but getting that bonus from 2 stats would also be too much. Especially for some NPCs. Now, you might think that melee could be based on 50% STR 50% DEX and that would keep the overall system balance (althought that would not change anything in this case) but it would be a nerf to most melee players because they'd need more stat points to reach their old bonus. It would also be inconsistent, as the practical ceiling for this bonus would be lower than for any other skill.

I dont see a problem with both stats giving full benefit to melee, you are too point starved to invest heavily in str, and if you do, then those points arent going someplace else. It would also stop these 3 STR builds, 5 would become the baseline str which seems fair, otherwise youd suffer a 20% penalty to the skill.

Axie

Scholar
its time for the EXPANSION me thinks.
yes.png
yes.png
yes.png
yes.png
yes.png
yes.png
yes.png
yes.png
yes.png
yes.png

You're tearing us apart, Styg!

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
I kinda wish they'd just make a split branch that has a few important bug fixes copypasted in, like the cryokinetic orb bugfix and the incendiary bullets bugfix and release that, no reason to tie those fixes to a large update that takes so long to come out.

ciox

Liturgist
No, even though you need at least DR/DT to know what you're doing with your ammo types, there's some stats on the wiki at least for some monsters (click on Combat Stats) http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sentry_Bot

edit: actually it looks like all of them have stats now, so that's your beastiary right there

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
Nope, all you get to see directly is their health, psi and shield points.
At one point in alpha, NPC level was also shown on their portrait. IIRC Styg removed that because it didn't reflect power of the NPCs very accurately, but I always thought it was a good way to estimate their overall power level. Imagine being level 10, going into Rail Crossing for the first time and seeing level 20 faceless group... you knew shit was about to get serious.

We finally have another poor soul valuable contributor helping me on the wiki, he's taking care of NPC pages so I don't know what's exactly going on over there, but he's been doing a thorough job datamining stats. And talking about monsters, very soon we'll have nice new ways of getting killed.

Also, Underrail confirmed for popamole?
OoiGmyR.png
:hmmm:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Epeli as you are a great underrail contributor and have some inside knowledge judging by the prerelease photos, does Styg plan to add some helmets in the game? The armor variation is nice, but we only have one helmet option, just made with diff materials. Some lighter helmets, like light kevlar helmet would be a good in-between balaclava and metal helmet.

epeli

Arcane
When I hinted at exciting new ways to die in the upcoming patch, I did not mean getting wasted with Dude! because that's in the expansion ;_;

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gentlemen, I was waiting for Underrail's expansion to arrive before asking for a review, but now the CRPG Book is really close to being finished (only 9 reviews remaining!) and the expansion apparently will take a bit longer...

So, anyone here willing to write a 800-word review on Underrail, explaining how the game works and why it's interesting? What you say, epeli ? :)

epeli

Arcane
So, anyone here willing to write a 800-word review on Underrail, explaining how the game works and why it's interesting? What you say, epeli ? :)
I appreciate the offer, but you couldn't get decent write-up out of me. Trust me, I can barely write sensible forum posts. :P

Gaius maximus there are campfires too. Lots of other little expansion teasers in 1.0.3 data. What's in-game? I don't know. From now on I'm going to save some surprises for myself, and replayability just got a whole lot better with hundreds of random events. :love:

Tigranes

Arcane
Gentlemen, I was waiting for Underrail's expansion to arrive before asking for a review, but now the CRPG Book is really close to being finished (only 9 reviews remaining!) and the expansion apparently will take a bit longer...

Ask Blaine, you'll get 800 pages.

epeli

Arcane
and replayability just got a whole lot better with hundreds of random events

can you write some of them in the wiki so we can get some idea what to expect?

Play the game and find out! :) Styg chose not to elaborate much on their mechanics and content, so I'll stick to that for now. Also, best random events are the ones you don't even realize are random events. Will eventually add something about them to the wiki. Still undecided how detailed it's going to be.

PS. Encounters and enemies have also been tweaked for each difficulty, so the entire game feels quite fresh right now. It's a good time for a replay before the expansion, though it wouldn't hurt to wait for a hotfix patch or two. Quite a bit of last moment changes were made to early game after I tested it, and right now they're buggier than a burrower nest.

PPS. I recommend hard difficulty for everyone who thought it was getting too easy before this patch. It's better now! DOMINATING if you're a glutton for punishment.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Epeli do you know where i can get W2C ammo blueprint? Its not in SGS, its not in protectorate, its not in core city. Do i have to visit every trader in the game to find this blueprint?

epeli

Arcane
Epeli do you know where i can get W2C ammo blueprint? Its not in SGS, its not in protectorate, its not in core city. Do i have to visit every trader in the game to find this blueprint?

Hmm. Looks like Fraser, Kevin and Constantine have it. Try Fraser again after his next restock if you can't get to the others?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom