Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

I sure do hope they will implement cloud save now that I have seen that original Fallout has this on steam. I already lost my saves once.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I sure do hope they will implement cloud save now that I have seen that original Fallout has this on steam. I already lost my saves once.

Underrail has no cloud save? That's weird. You don't need to use Steam API at all for that, you just point it to where your save files are, and it does everything automatically - literally takes 30 seconds to set up. The only logical reason for lack of cloud save, would be Underrail's save files exceeding Steam cloud size limits.

Underrail has no cloud save? That's weird. You don't need to use Steam API at all for that, you just point it to where your save files are, and it does everything automatically - literally takes 30 seconds to set up. The only logical reason for lack of cloud save, would be Underrail's save files exceeding Steam cloud size limits.

indeed that it's the case. It seems it won't be included in the future because of the size of the files.

indeed that it's the case. It seems it won't be included in the future because of the size of the files.

Steam Cloud's standard limit is 1GB, is it not?
here is what Epeli wrote on the official forum :
"Fallout 1 is not Underrail, the saves are different. Space available on Steam Cloud also varies by game and while I don't know the specifics, I suspect it just won't be possible for Underrail unless Steam increases the cloud save size limit."

epeli

Arcane
Hey, Styg.. if I bitch enough, will you implement Steam Cloud support?

Moving saves around hurts my precious mousing fingers.

They are too big for Steam Cloud. No amount of bitching will help.

I don't know more than that, but I doubt 1GB is a standard for Steam Cloud - it varies, and some games have only few dozen MB of cloud space available to them.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

I don't know more than that, but I doubt 1GB is a standard for Steam Cloud - it varies, and some games have only few dozen MB of cloud space available to them.

Games choose their own size, and you can choose 1GB (or more like 953mb, whatever).

ip748j.png

All you have to do to "implement" Steam Cloud (Auto-Cloud), is tell it the location of your savegame folders. Which should be located somewhere in %APPDATA% area to avoid permission problems and crap. Then it will just sync the files every time the game starts and exits.

2e6h9n9.png

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I much prefer the user to have to specify steam cloud than it automatically happening. I doubt most people have a use for cloud saves, so it only makes sense to have the handful of people who could possibly find a use of this future to have to set it up themselves rather than any the majority who have no use for it.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

Games choose their own size, and you can choose 1GB (or more like 953mb, whatever).

ip748j.png

All you have to do to "implement" Steam Cloud (Auto-Cloud), is tell it the location of your savegame folders. Which should be located somewhere in %APPDATA% area to avoid permission problems and crap. Then it will just sync the files every time the game starts and exits.

2e6h9n9.png

This seems less restrictive then back when I was looking into it originally. I'll see what can be done, but it's going to be low priority for a while.

Latelistener

Arcane
Just to be sure that we understand each other, I don't need a map for myself. I bought the game on release, and drew maps just like everyone else (one may argue that it was a monkey work).
Still, I have no idea why having any kind of in-game map would be a decline.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I bought the game long before release and never drew any maps.

Still, I have no idea why having any kind of in-game map would be a decline.

I know you don't. The short answer is that, especially in the context of a room-by-room game, an automap (let alone a premade map) trivializes navigation. I enjoy having to explore, memorize routes, try to remember how to return to someplace I've already been later on, find new passages I may have missed before without a map pointing them out to me, etc.

I call this "environmental challenge," and it's sorely lacking in almost every game made since the turn of the century. If I never get confused, if there's no risk of getting lost, then there's not much challenge. No built-in map combined with intricate, non-linear, interconnected level design is about as good as it gets.

Just do this, and never need a map from anyone ever again.

k3fhZwp.png

Oh, my sweet summer child. +M

50cb581518.png

Tygrende

Arbiter
Not even in the labyrinth? That's the only place I drew a map of in my 634 hours. As a matter of fact I think I draw a map of it in each playthrough because I always throw them away right after.

Not that I'm complaining, quite the opposite. Reminds me of the modron maze from P:T.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Not even in the labyrinth? That's the only place I drew a map of in my 634 hours. As a matter of fact I think I draw a map of it in each playthrough because I always throw them away right after.

Nope. In fact, I had to look that up, because I wasn't sure which area you were referring to. Thought maybe you meant the Rathound King's lair or something.

Now that I'm reminded, yeah, that's a very challenging area to navigate. I didn't map it precisely because it's difficult to navigate and easy to get turned around in, and also because I never mapped anything else, so why start now?

Latelistener

Arcane
I know you don't. The short answer is that, especially in the context of a room-by-room game, an automap (let alone a premade map) trivializes navigation.
I wasn't talking about an automap that shows you secret passages, or a pre-made map, but... this really isn't going anywhere, is it?

When a conversation starts with:
I know you don't.

You just kinda know it will be fruitless.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, I know that too, because I've had this conversation many times before.

I actually did explain my reasoning pretty thoroughly—including, very specifically, why I think that adding a map system to Underrail would be decline—which is a lot more than can be said for you. You expressed the desire for a map, but with no explanation of the whys and wherefores.

If (emphasis on the "if") you mean to imply that adding a map would help get more people into the game and make it more accessible, I agree with you. I still don't want a map. They can fuck off.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Something desirable that's just not going to happen, despite that it will make the game more accessible for newcomers.

It's not about accessibility, it's simply because the new font is ugly as sin compared to the original font.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom