Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
My question is any intersting build which plays differently enough from the above I could try?
Crossbow and traps?

Or should I wait for the expansion; if its around the corner.
It's a mystery. Styg has been quiet lately. Hopefully working his ass off.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Glass cannon pure psi with a side dish of high stealth (you'll have a fair few points to branch out with after a short while) plays quite differently than psi/unarmed. You'll need most of the crafting skills at a decent level, because min-maxed psi gear is fairly important for insta-obliterating things.

Basically, you'll pop out of the shadows and obliterate everything in sight. In some cases, as with the Ironhead base, you can stealthily nuke them all one, two, and three at a time without raising the general alarm. As I recall, exhausting all my cooldowns allowed me to take out the Ironhead HP songe boss without him being able to do anything except enter the room.

Major difficulty spikes crop up during the very few major encounters versus groups of numerous other psi users. They can be a real bitch. The same is true of optional clown car fights such as attempting to eradicate major NPC bases, but line-of-sight and zone cheesing (to refresh glass cannon cooldowns) can usually win out in those cases.

This is all assuming pure psi hasn't been horribly nerfed, mind you. Even if it's been a bit nerfed, it's probably pretty OP.

Crossbow and traps?

I get the impression he wants to enjoy his new playthrough, not hate every minute of it.

Having said that, everyone should play a crossbows and traps character at least once to experience the only really major failure on Styg's part to design a segment of the game mechanics properly (although many months back, he personally responded to my scathing criticism of crossbows being shit acknowledging that they "needed some love"; perhaps that's already happened, haven't been paying attention just lately).

Basically, any encounter with enemies wearing heavy armor and a lot of hit points will produce incredible frustration for the crossbow user. I'm sure I went into great detail at some point.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I get the impression he wants to enjoy his new playthrough, not hate every minute of it.

Having said that, everyone should play a crossbows and traps character at least once to experience the only really major failure on Styg's part to design a segment of the game mechanics properly (although many months back, he personally responded to my scathing criticism of crossbows being shit acknowledging that they "needed some love"; perhaps that's already happened, haven't been paying attention just lately).
IIRC it was one of the early builds I tried and it seemed fun. IDK maybe crossbows have been nerfed a lot since. Anyway traps and something else can be a fun build, with your character luring enemies to your traps.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
After painfully slogging through the dulldrum that is The Witcher 3, I've just purchased this little beauty. Only an hour or so in, but so far it has me absolutely hooked. The atmosphere is LUSH, and it oozes mystery. Can't wait to sink my teeth into more today.
:russiastronk:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Holy shit, the game got bombarded by negative reviews after the sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/UnderRail/

I gotta say this, the algorithm used in deciding your opponents is not. NOT decided by you level.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Resulting in an incredibly predictable and dull combat system, that ends very quickly either way.

:timetoburn:

There are two groups of users with bad reviews:

Group 1. Complete retards which cannot grasp even the basics of combat mechanics. The game is too hard for them therefore it's shit.

Group 2. People pissed off by Deep Caverns cause a lot of them did enjoy the game and they had good impressions until they reached that part of the game.

Nothing surprising to be honest. But in some way it justifies the deluge of bad indies: why bother developing a good game when there is no audience capable of appreciating it !?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
IIRC it was one of the early builds I tried and it seemed fun. IDK maybe crossbows have been nerfed a lot since. Anyway traps and something else can be a fun build, with your character luring enemies to your traps.

It's fun until you realize that guns as a group are much more versatile and most of them (particularly ARs) output far more damage, much more quickly. The Guns skill enables pistols, sniper rifles, SMGs, ARs, and both types of energy weapon, while the Crossbow skill enables... crossbows. Feats can specialize you such that you may avoid using most of the available gun types, yet the option is still available; and crossbows are easily as feat-heavy as any other specialization anyway.

Guns also come out on top in terms of attachment slots, and unlike crossbows they aren't near-useless versus heavily-armored enemies. Crossbows also have a much more limited selection of attachments, and of those, at least one is near-mandatory regardless of your build (Super String). As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, it is my opinion that crossbows should come with an additional, "free", scope-only slot.

Of course, crossbows are silent, or very close to it. Yet killing undetected in select situations only provides a certain limited advantage, and that limitation is exceeded when you have to spend all your cooldowns stunning and poisoning a goon in tank armor and then wait five turns for him to die. God help you if there's more than one of them. Pure psi on the other hand could incapacitate and vaporize the both of them with likely no one being the wiser, just as an example.

If I had to pinpoint one thing crossbows need, other than a free scope-only slot, it would be a viable way to reliably defeat heavy armor... say, shaped-charge explosive bolts, or some type of specialized bolts and/or attachments. They'd be okay then.

Parabalus

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions.

I picked Hacking because of the synergy with electronics, but since I'll have to up mechanics aswell I might pick it instead. Only problem is that my dexterity is very low so I won't be getting as much bonus.

The carapace requires mechanics and biology I think.

What do you think about psychosis and tranquility? Thought about picking them but they didn't seem very useful early game.

I disagree with Sykar , if you are playing pure PSI there is little reason not to roll with 10(->16) WILL/ 10 INT. INT gives you the most free skill points per point and you simply don't have anything else important to spend them on. Something simple like this means you get to see most content on your first run - you can max out the effective skill out of all the tagged skills easily. PSI is really good for a first run since you have inherit solutions for every problem, and you don't need meta knowledge to cover your weaknesses.

I prefer psychosis since it's more suitable for glass cannon builds and benefits more from crafting gear, but both are fine. Premeditation is the best feat, but no real reason to delay psych or tranq.

You can also stealth around no problem since you can craft gear which gives you +200-300 stealth, no need to put points in. Evasion or Dodge aren't really needed, you have 3 combat (PSI) skills already.

Basically, any encounter with enemies wearing heavy armor and a lot of hit points will produce incredible frustration for the crossbow user. I'm sure I went into great detail at some point.

Crossbows and traps got buffed a lot in a patch compared to release, specifically the elemental bolts, so heavy armor is a bit less anger inducing.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Crossbows and traps got buffed a lot in a patch compared to release, specifically the elemental bolts, so heavy armor is a bit less anger inducing.

Well, that's neat.

I'm going to guess that sniper builds are still an overall better way to utilize ranged stealth ambush tactics, since although they are loud, unlike crossbows they don't require you to be close enough to the enemy to smell his taint sweat in order to hit anything (and can also deal tremendous damage). If you absolutely must prevent a general alarm from being raised, pure psi stealth is almost certainly the way to go.

On the other hand, I know the sound portion of the stealth system was supposed to be expanded, so it may be that pure psi ambushers bursting into surprise treats is a less stealthy approach than it once was (although it was never perfectly silent/concealed).

I think stealth knifer and psi martial artist are the only archetypal combos I haven't yet tried. I've completed the game with hammer/throwing/armor, AR/throwing/armor, pure psi/stealth, and crossbow/traps/stealth pre-buff; I've gone a long way in as stealth sniper and assorted other things.

Overall, AR/throwing/armor is the easiest build. It's not as consistently easy as pure psi/stealth, but it doesn't get massive difficulty spikes in certain situations either and is tougher and more forgiving if your approach is imperfect or compromised.

I haven't done a dedicated non-explosives thrower or pistol gunslinger, but I continue to highly doubt the viability of such things and related feats like Pinning and so on.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Well, that's neat.

I'm going to guess that sniper builds are still an overall better way to utilize ranged stealth ambush tactics, since although they are loud, unlike crossbows they don't require you to be close enough to the enemy to smell his taint sweat in order to hit anything (and can also deal tremendous damage). If you absolutely must prevent a general alarm from being raised, pure psi stealth is almost certainly the way to go.

On the other hand, I know the sound portion of the stealth system was supposed to be expanded, so it may be that pure psi ambushers bursting into surprise treats is a less stealthy approach than it once was (although it was never perfectly silent/concealed).

I think stealth knifer and psi martial artist are the only archetypal combos I haven't yet tried. I've completed the game with hammer and armor, pure psi/stealth, and crossbow/traps pre-buff, and I've gone a long way in as stealth sniper and assorted other things.

I haven't done a dedicated non-explosives thrower but I continue to highly doubt the viability of such a thing and related feats like Pinning and so on.

I didn't actually play anything which uses bullets yet (goes to show how many builds the game has lol).

I had a stealth knifer but switched to light-fist at midgame since I realised knife is much worse, with the only saving grace being eviscerate (which I used with weapon swaps), they share the majority of feats. The difference gets more pronounced later since fist weapon crafting quality is much higher thanks to super steel infusion + skinner.
Didn't have PSI here since I was stretched for points and HP, but the damage was already insane, easy first turn kill of the ol' Eye, dunno if Tele Punches are worth it for low STR/ max DEX.

With pure PSI I found stealth to be somewhat detrimental, since I want enemies to clump up to AoE them down, or I would run out of juice. Initate from max range and LoS at turn end went much smoother for me than stealthing.

Didn't try those throwers myself, I agree that at a glance it seems underwhelming.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wanna expansion, but it's probably not coming out this year :(

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Only played through the game once and that was as a stealthy pure-psi. I put a lot of points into stuff that I found was unnecessary, and spread myself somewhat thin, starting out with crossbows as a secondary weapon and a few points in dodge/evasion that didn't do much when I eventually bought/made tabis that gave me more. Attributes a bit all over the place, because I was like "oooooo I want high perception to find secrets!", only invested in hacking early and not lockpicking because I thought they could be used as alternatives to each other in most places, rather than being best together.
If I had to do it again, I'd maybe go something like this:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwG...NgBYQ14BOeAiFS2lOkLJRWUD8o1ZFNkCSyCwglFHh4wQA
Get tranquility/psychosis and its upgrade. Since this is pretty squishy, tranq is probably best. At least that's what I went with. Leaves you with some free feats and and bunch of skillpoints to put more in crafting skills, stealth or buff up the other two psi-skills as you prefer. Or go into intimidate, defensive skills or a secondary offensive skill like melee/unarmed, which can also be useful early with just a few points as a secondary thing when you don't have a lot of psi-abilities.

Alternatively, I guess something like this?
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwG...dhHXTN1iSLxBoaXQXhNHenwcSVZAAs6QWEFIUoFGWxggA

Can also go a bit lower in intelligence and put more in something else.
This works as a middle ground between the two above:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwG...CLgE4iDaZRL97ZRMlEjjRn9EkV2IEpiFghKSKEg1MwMEA
But go 10 Will and only pump points into that from then on.

Just what I think should be what you should be aiming for, increasing the skills as you need them.
E.g. you might be able to do fine in the beginning without any crafting at all, because you can just buy decent armors at first and not sure how useful electronics is early on, since I recall shield gens and psi headbands are not available from the get-go?

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions.

I picked Hacking because of the synergy with electronics, but since I'll have to up mechanics aswell I might pick it instead. Only problem is that my dexterity is very low so I won't be getting as much bonus.

The carapace requires mechanics and biology I think.

What do you think about psychosis and tranquility? Thought about picking them but they didn't seem very useful early game.

I disagree with Sykar , if you are playing pure PSI there is little reason not to roll with 10(->16) WILL/ 10 INT. INT gives you the most free skill points per point and you simply don't have anything else important to spend them on. Something simple like this means you get to see most content on your first run - you can max out the effective skill out of all the tagged skills easily. PSI is really good for a first run since you have inherit solutions for every problem, and you don't need meta knowledge to cover your weaknesses.

I prefer psychosis since it's more suitable for glass cannon builds and benefits more from crafting gear, but both are fine. Premeditation is the best feat, but no real reason to delay psych or tranq.

You can also stealth around no problem since you can craft gear which gives you +200-300 stealth, no need to put points in. Evasion or Dodge aren't really needed, you have 3 combat (PSI) skills already.

7 int is more than sufficient to get all those skills to high enough level, 10 is overkill. The gear for stealth you mentioned won't be available anytime soon how long do you want him to wait until he can skip combat? Also do you want him to constantly swap gear between a PSI and a Stealth setup? What a waste of time. Just pump some points into Stealth, get a stealth generator, Tabi boots and you are set. Use the head slot and the armor for PSI cost reduction and boni to PSI skills.
Getting Evasion to 50 and Dodge to 60 for their respective feats is a good idea considering that you have plenty of feats to spare and there is always a chance you might get caught with your pants down or have a round where you cannot do much because you already used up all your PSI and a PSI booster and having those running dramatically reduces the damage enemies can deal to you.

Jrpgfan I forgot to mention but your build has one major weakness: traps. You have shitty perception and no traps skill, you will not enjoy any areas like some of Depot A or Ratking hideout since those are full of those. Either you get Traps into your build or you rush getting a good shield asap because that is the only thing which will save your ass. That and a lot of batteries to recharge them since you will have to have it running quite a bit.
Or you can try to remember all trap locations, good luck with that though.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
7 int is more than sufficient to get all those skills to high enough level, 10 is overkill. The gear for stealth you mentioned won't be available anytime soon how long do you want him to wait until he can skip combat? Also do you want him to constantly swap gear between a PSI and a Stealth setup? What a waste of time. Just pump some points into Stealth, get a stealth generator, Tabi boots and you are set. Use the head slot and the armor for PSI cost reduction and boni to PSI skills.
Getting Evasion to 50 and Dodge to 60 for their respective feats is a good idea considering that you have plenty of feats to spare and there is always a chance you might get caught with your pants down or have a round where you cannot do much because you already used up all your PSI and a PSI booster and having those running dramatically reduces the damage enemies can deal to you.

You can't max all 3 PSI skills, 4 (chem dropped) crafting skills and 5 content (3 talk +lockpick/hack) skills if you put points into Dodge/Evasion/Stealth. INT helps a lot and gives 2 PSI/Turn.

I didn't diss your build but presented an alternative which drops Dodge/Evasion/Stealth since I never found them needed as PSI, but liked seeing more content and crafting (which makes feats tight). This was the first build I ran used and it's very simple, which is why I suggested it for a new player. Skipping stuff is IMO more for later playthroughs.

Why would you ever skip combat except in DC though? (where you can use stealth gear) You miss out on XP and valuable crafting ingredients, and more importantly, exploding random stuff is extremely fun.

Sykar

Arcane

You can't max all 3 PSI skills, 4 (chem dropped) crafting skills and 5 content (3 talk +lockpick/hack) skills if you put points into Dodge/Evasion/Stealth. INT helps a lot and gives 2 PSI/Turn.

I didn't diss your build but presented an alternative which drops Dodge/Evasion/Stealth since I never found them needed as PSI, but liked seeing more content and crafting (which makes feats tight). This was the first build I ran used and it's very simple, which is why I suggested it for a new player. Skipping stuff is IMO more for later playthroughs.

Why would you ever skip combat except in DC though? (where you can use stealth gear) You miss out on XP and valuable crafting ingredients, and more importantly, exploding random stuff is extremely fun.

Oddities from enemies are racked up fast so there is plenty of combat which is pointless.
The only skill he HAS to max are the 3 PSI skills. There is no need to maximize anything else since there is usually a cap after which it becomes pointless, or little benefit, to increase them any further. There is no need for Tailoring if he pumps up Stealth which renders the need to constantly swap gear and not forget about it moot.
The little extra in PSI point regeneration is not really noticable. A pure Stealth/PSI build is all about bursting away and CCing, if that fails you try to reset the fight.

Here was my build for my hybrid which is a truely skill point starved build:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwG...0CEii1ri95yaAOO9deaUaATnBQALKGGZhUWFJTYoaYMCA

10 skills, of which 4 are maximized, Guns, PSI*2 and Stealth. The rest is at a level where I can do everything. Still some skill points to spare and 3 feats for flexibility.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So uhm, when was the x-pac supposed to be out again? Wasn' it like summer 2017? Like... NOW!

Styg! where iz it

Parabalus

Arcane
The only skill he HAS to max are the 3 PSI skills. There is no need to maximize anything else since there is usually a cap after which it becomes pointless, or little benefit, to increase them any further. There is no need for Tailoring if he pumps up Stealth which renders the need to constantly swap gear and not forget about it moot.
The little extra in PSI point regeneration is not really noticable. A pure Stealth/PSI build is all about bursting away and CCing, if that fails you try to reset the fight.
I was obv. talking about maxing effective skills (since I mention 12 different skills), you're being intentionally dense now. Dunno why you even bother responding like this or why you seem to take great personal offense.

You can play pure PSI without stealth, I found it more comfortable that way and that allows me to spend those points on other stuff. Underrail supports different playstyles, news at 11.

When I needed to stealth (Abram, Protectorate Warehouse and DC pmuch), I equipped stealth gear. Tailoring proxies as stealth for this, while giving you access to better gear and acceptable move speed before you get decent boot springs from the Uni/Oculus.
You don't have to max all 3 PSI skills, you can also get by with just 2 , as sole offense, but that's besides the point.

Here was my build for my hybrid which is a truely skill point starved build:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwG...0CEii1ri95yaAOO9deaUaATnBQALKGGZhUWFJTYoaYMCA

10 skills, of which 4 are maximized, Guns, PSI*2 and Stealth. The rest is at a level where I can do everything. Still some skill points to spare and 3 feats for flexibility.

That's a somewhat unrelated build, it uses guns as a main damage source, with PSI support. It looks solid.
For comparison though, if you craft 3 black cloth pieces with Q140 you get 120 stealth, which is functionally very similar since you don't need to melee range engage(+you have a CFG). Dunno why you would call that build point starved though, it seems very comfortable.

INT at 10 is very valuable if you are going for something like what I mentioned, crafting over stealth, which is actually tight:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwG...IEkKs8sAJwgALKlERR8ESNEok4vJKohieOsHGZJmUpkFA

Pure PSI is unique in that you can easily dump attributes and take all crafting+content skills. You could also conceivably drop one PSI skill for pickpocket and really have everything covered. When the expansion comes I'll prob try a SI variant which forces a drop of INT (unspent into new TM)
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwG...6H0gywsiZInQAWKGJpjkYsSDFZIVRoWwUIwKJpqaNwVEA
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwG...6H0gywsiZInQAWKGJpjkYsSDFZIVRoWwUIwKJpqaNwVEA

When you have 7 INT dependent skills that one attribute point costs you 50ish skill points.

Oddities from enemies are racked up fast so there is plenty of combat which is pointless.

Oddities are random and you can get fucked by RNG easily, especially on the rarer ones.

Oddity XP system is MORE reliant on killing thrash mobs, because classic XP maxes out earlier, because the fact that they give you XP doesn't matter when you're 25 (which you hit way before oddity).

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Thanks for all the tips guys. It's been very helpful.

By the way, I'm not a new player, I've finished the game three times already with different builds. I just never played a psi character and it's been like a year since the last time I played the game. I don't mind skipping some content as I've already seen everything, but I'll probably do it all over again anyway as I'm a compulsive completionist.

So far I'm finding this build enjoyable to play although I have a feeling it's a tad OP and will make this run too easy.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
3 hours in, immersed massively. Superbly atmospheric and well paced. Enough there to get my teeth into, but isn't bogging me down either. Looks like a late night tonight.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If I had to pinpoint one thing crossbows need, other than a free scope-only slot, it would be a viable way to reliably defeat heavy armor... say, shaped-charge explosive bolts, or some type of specialized bolts and/or attachments. They'd be okay then.

Corrosive acid bolts reduce armor resistances and thresholds by 7% for five turns and it stacks up to ten times.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Corrosive acid bolts reduce armor resistances and thresholds by 7% for five turns and it stacks up to ten times.

Yes, that's precisely the issue. You have to spend all of your cooldowns and multiple turns filling tin cans full of poison and acid stacks and using numerous traps to keep them away from you (and stack more poison) until they finally decide to keel over... or alternatively, you can shred them into Starkist flaked tuna INSIDE their tin cans in one or two turns using an high-powered assault rifle, or bake two or three of them into a tasty Dutch oven roast in a single turn using psi powers.

On paper the poison/acid stacking et al. is fun and cool, but in reality it's massively underpowered compared to other offensive options and, importantly, leaves things alive to rape your asshole in the meantime.

Black Angel

Arcane
Yeah, even with the buff like special bolts now having 99 stacks, Crossbow still severely needs some proper balance or more feats - it's extremely feat-starved compared to other builds.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Crossbow isn't feat-starved, but its feats are like Chinese food: Even if you stuff your face with them, you still feel hungry two hours later.

Bros, pure psi crafter looks like fun.10 con 10 will 8 int for the thick skull feat with will all bonus stats going to will.

How much biology and chemistry is required for a psi crafter if i skip on grenades (but having enough for dynamite) and want that carapace armor and can craft the psi/hp restoring consumables?

I think a final score of 120 in mechanics/electronics/tailoring is enough for crafting the highest quality euipment otherwise (headbands/shieldgen light armor).

Also thinking of dumping persuation and focus on intimidate to get the yell feat. Anything survives the first round psionic barrage and doesnt get cc'ed; yell gives a good debuff.

But yell would work better with a dodge/evasion psichokinesis monk. But i already tried that gameplay.

So any other build focused around yell which works? Else will start psi crafter this weekend.

ciox

Liturgist
The crossbow build I used after the buffs and playing on Normal was Pneumatic Cyclon firing mainly Shock Bolts MK2 and MK3, with most of the crossbow feats except Deadly Snares and Special Tactics, and enough psi to cast Cryostasis and get this http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cryogenic_Induction and this http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Premeditation
This means I had a completely AP-free Cryofreeze to use whenever I wanted, so I could freeze a heavy target, ignore it for 1-2 turns while dealing with the rest, then shatter it with a normal or aimed crossbow attack (even from the Cyclon) to mostly ignore its high health and resistances. It wasn't too bad.

I think what bothered me most was the lack of variety in tactics, pummeling guys with Shock Bolts felt mandatory in most fights, and there aren't enough unique crossbows or unique stuff in general related to crossbows.

One feat I would have liked to see is a Rapid Fire for crossbow attacks only, it would give you a buff that disables use of special bolts and reduces accuracy, but also reduces AP cost of attacking and increases critical chance, allowing you to let your hair down once in a while and just gun down some mooks without worrying about using the right bolt, or use a Monsoon with a +10% crit chance scope and a FocusStim to get mostly crits on a heavy incapacitated target.

It would feel really natural to have a feat like that instead of Special Tactics which just makes no sense to me, functionally and logically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom