Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Urbanolo

Augur
There's no longer any doubt that Carnifex "cheats" at stats. His initiative is 29, which means he has an average of 12 DEX and 12 AGI, on top of massive CON... and presumably very high STR, and good WIL to boot. His INT must be -12 to afford all those increases.

Fight's definitely not "fair," and favors very high Initiative, a massive Dodge score, and/or tons of CON and high-quality metal armor.

Anyway, I beat him as level 18 pure psi only by save scumming Initiative with the further assistance of a tasty cave hopper steak. It was either that or never complete the quest line; there was no scenario in which my character would survive two rounds of him whaling away on me, regardless of level. I'm fine with it, because he's a massive cheater himself.

I threw out Mental Breakdown, Doppelganger, shot up with adrenaline and focus stim, used Cryostasis to give the clones time to beat him down, he shot Morphine, I loaded him down with Cryokinesis, laid out an Electrostatic Imprint, then ran to hide. Ran back out when he hit the trap, hit him with a couple more Cryokinesis, then used Force Field to force him to walk all the way back around to the other bridge; ran and hid again behind the opposite column. Popped out, saw his morphine had worn off, then killed him with some random shit because he had only a sliver of HP left.

Bilocation is good for looting corpses before the match ends, too. The clones cause the match to last one more round as they vanish.

Since I killed Carnifex on several playhroughs, I think the pure PSI char had it the easiest. Mental Breakdown, bilocation, frighten then finish with the cold spell. You just have to survive the 1st round. Also am I wrong or you can no longer loot Stygian Exorcist's robe? I'm pretty positive it was possible before.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Hey who's autistic enough to have figured out whats the best caliber for an assault rifle?

When crafting a ranged weapon, the quality of the component and the barrel determine the damage of the weapon. So at equal caliber, higher quality Marauder will do more damage than a slightly lower quality Chimera.

Bigger caliber has a easier time going through mechanical threshold, at the cost of more AP per shot. Bigger caliber also tend to have low # of rounds per magazine.

I personally prefer Hornet because all I do is burst and I want to burst a lot. My second choice would be a Huszar because sometimes RNJesus' blessings.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
There's no longer any doubt that Carnifex "cheats" at stats. His initiative is 29, which means he has an average of 12 DEX and 12 AGI, on top of massive CON... and presumably very high STR, and good WIL to boot. His INT must be -12 to afford all those increases.

Fight's definitely not "fair," and favors very high Initiative, a massive Dodge score, and/or tons of CON and high-quality metal armor.

Anyway, I beat him as level 18 pure psi only by save scumming Initiative with the further assistance of a tasty cave hopper steak. It was either that or never complete the quest line; there was no scenario in which my character would survive two rounds of him whaling away on me, regardless of level. I'm fine with it, because he's a massive cheater himself.

I threw out Mental Breakdown, Doppelganger, shot up with adrenaline and focus stim, used Cryostasis to give the clones time to beat him down, he shot Morphine, I loaded him down with Cryokinesis, laid out an Electrostatic Imprint, then ran to hide. Ran back out when he hit the trap, hit him with a couple more Cryokinesis, then used Force Field to force him to walk all the way back around to the other bridge; ran and hid again behind the opposite column. Popped out, saw his morphine had worn off, then killed him with some random shit because he had only a sliver of HP left.

Bilocation is good for looting corpses before the match ends, too. The clones cause the match to last one more round as they vanish.

Since I killed Carnifex on several playhroughs, I think the pure PSI char had it the easiest. Mental Breakdown, bilocation, frighten then finish with the cold spell. You just have to survive the 1st round. Also am I wrong or you can no longer loot Stygian Exorcist's robe? I'm pretty positive it was possible before.

If you survive the first round of his onslaught. So either you walk in with shields(I don't know if that is possible) or you have insane CON. I think the best way is to beat him on initiative. It takes some lucky rolls, but my fight with Carnifex came down to who went first.

I think CON is the weakest stat along with STR for min/max purposes

Urbanolo

Augur
If you survive the first round of his onslaught. So either you walk in with shields(I don't know if that is possible) or you have insane CON. I think the best way is to beat him on initiative. It takes some lucky rolls, but my fight with Carnifex came down to who went first.

Wot. High Con is awesome for pure PSI build, esp. since you won't have the skill points for dodge/evasion and Last Stand works wonderfully with Tranquility and the second 9 con perk that gives you higher crit chance below 30% hp works great with psychosis.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just beat Tchort with an assault rifle character that had a few sniper feats. I tried getting in close at first to use burst, but that didn't work due to all the tentacles ganging up on you as you approach. A sniper rifle with W2C ammo makes the fight very easy though. You can shot him from far away, only getting attacked by two tentacles in the process. I had by no means the best sniper rifle at this point and Tchort took 750-850 crits. The fight played out pretty anticlimactic in this way.

Overall I didn't like Deep Caverns when I compare it to what came before. It's just very tedious. I had to look up the solution to the mushroom forest, is it anywhere hinted at that you have to let the spore debuff stack?

What kind of armor did you have? Shield?

There is some vague information from an old guy but ... I never meet the guy in my playthrough. I read about it on Steam forum.

Metal armor and a generic 450 high frequency shield. Which tentacles spawn near the ladder is random I think. So you can reload a few times if you get a pair that hits you too hard.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
oneself
The Tailoring requirement for Molotov cocktails has been complained about before, although I think it's worth noting that there seems to be a little more to Molotov cocktails than just "sticking a rag in a bottle," since if that's all you do, the contents will at some point slosh out and all over the rest of your pack.

Some Molotov cocktails I've seen on Google seem to include sometimes rather intricate capping systems with bands to hold the wick or such like. Even the Molotov in Underrail seems to have bands crossing its center, so one can argue there's more to this than making a gas candle out of a bottle.

Also, what about the material used for the wick? What if it's flame-retardant? What if the fabric is so intensely flammable that it lights the cocktail on fire in your hand, or simply fizzles in a moment and fails to ignite the liquid once thrown? It could further be argued that a bit of knowledge about fabrics is necessary if you don't want to blow yourself up or end up with a dud.

Last edited:

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter

Wot. High Con is awesome for pure PSI build, esp. since you won't have the skill points for dodge/evasion and Last Stand works wonderfully with Tranquility and the second 9 con perk that gives you higher crit chance below 30% hp works great with psychosis.

I don't like CON because no skill is dependent on CON. I feel like I am just wasting it for the health. I guess tank caster is a thing in this game. Always imagined casters to be squishy.

The Tailoring requirement for Molotov cocktails has been complained about before, although I think it's worth noting that there seems to be a little more to Molotov cocktails than just "sticking a rag in a bottle," since if that's all you do, the contents will at some point slosh out and all over the rest of your pack.

Some Molotov cocktails I've seen on Google seem to include sometimes rather intricate capping systems with bands to hold the wick or such like. Even the Molotov in Underrail seems to have bands crossing its center, so one can argue there's more to this than making a gas candle out of a bottle.

Mechanics skill then? Or am I making a cross stitch for the cap?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mechanics skill then? Or am I making a cross stitch for the cap?

I'll quote myself, since you replied so quickly:

Also, what about the material used for the wick? What if it's flame-retardant? What if the fabric is so intensely flammable that it lights the cocktail on fire in your hand, or simply fizzles in a moment and fails to ignite the liquid once thrown? It could further be argued that a bit of knowledge about fabrics is necessary if you don't want to blow yourself up or end up with a dud.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter

You can rationalize that in anyway you want and you will eventually find some justifications for it. I have to say though that your justification while valid, remain a justification and it is not more true or less so than an alternate one, suppose it is logical.

However, it is still very inconvenient that for something that require lot of chemistry to also require tailoring. It is also very non-intuitive given no other similar recipes in a similar category needs that.

It is not a BIG problem for most, but it is just a inconvenience.

Inf0mercial

Augur
I have got my burst fire to 9 rounds a burst, i will be honest its fucking hilarious, i just need moar perception, gotta make some goggles i guess, this is my heavy armour character with regen vest, my only issue is i am strangely low on money like i have never been this broke at this stage in the game before.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ukraine-clashes-kiev-molotov-si.jpg

pictured: professional tailors

you can tell by their reinforced leather jackets and balaclavas

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
molotov requiring tailoring is pretty bs imo, mechanics and chemistry should be enough.

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using Tapatalk

Lord Andre

Arcane
Hey who's autistic enough to have figured out whats the best caliber for an assault rifle?

IMO, 9mm ain't worth it if it puts you over 15 AP. There are many times when squeezing in a single shot is useful and you have only 15 AP left on the turn. Same reason why the bipod sucks.

As far as enhancements go, +2 burst and smart module seem the best.

ST'Ranger

Augur
Looks like it's hard to build unarmed build as they get bonus damage for str and ap reduction for dex, so probably best build would be 10str/10dex/agi 8/con 3/per 3/will 3/int 3...unarmed glass cannon for lyef!

Strength is really not required as the majority of your damage is gotten from the Melee skill (which triggers off either DEX or STR, whichever is higher). The additional damage from STR based on weapon descriptions can be strong, but it's definitely a big tradeoff to take two high stats just to improve one skill. If you're going to go STR+DEX melee, I'd consider going the heavy armor route - at least that way your STR is being well-utilized.

I'm trying my best not to add any commentary regarding the Deep Caverns until I finish it on 3 or 4 different characters.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

IMO, 9mm ain't worth it if it puts you over 15 AP. There are many times when squeezing in a single shot is useful and you have only 15 AP left on the turn. Same reason why the bipod sucks.

As far as enhancements go, +2 burst and smart module seem the best.

7.62mm with Micro Shrapnel ammo which is easy to make; add the concentrated fire, dirty wounds perks and modules Comrade Andre spoke of and you have machine of death in your hands Comrade... Add to this Grenadier perk which got rid of cool-downs for grenades and you can kill even those pesky mages psionics with no trouble.

Looks like it's hard to build unarmed build as they get bonus damage for str and ap reduction for dex, so probably best build would be 10str/10dex/agi 8/con 3/per 3/will 3/int 3...unarmed glass cannon for lyef!
Wrong.

Unarmed is sick overpowered. 3 str/10 dex/8agi/3 con/3per/7 will/6int (for crafting) - pump first two stat points into dex, next into int to get crafting perks, and then from 16 on into agi or more dex (for crit and melee skill bonus - I'm deciding this tradeoff right now).

It's all about stacking feats and the skills force emission and telekinetic proxy. Nimble + Reckless + Opportunist + expose weakness + critical strikes + combo + vile weaponry + taste for blood + expertise + fancy footwork. Then, after that you can decide on what else to take (probably power management + skinner?), but the way that thing layers on damage...

It's fucking insane. You miss out on the damage bonus from str, but especially with bladed fists (which you should be using to take advantage of taste for blood + vile weaponry), you are going to be dropping anyone in no time. The only headache is heavily armored enemies (robots and bladelings and whatnot), but that's what expose weakness is for.

I don't know if this is the most powerful build in the game, but it's on the short list with heavy AR/sniper based on what I've tried out.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
what are the best snipers u guys found?

Should I go for REAPER or that other one with low AP

Also, what are the best enchancements to put on the sniper

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom