Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Latelistener

Arcane
Would be nice to have different types of ammo for shotgun, aka standard buckshot, flechettes, armor penetration slugs, explosive rounds or the "Dragon's Breath" ammo, rather than just 6/8/12p shells.

Black Angel

Arcane
Would be nice to have different types of ammo for shotgun, aka standard buckshot, flechettes, armor penetration slugs, explosive rounds or the "Dragon's Breath" ammo, rather than just 6/8/12p shells.

You bet your ass he will! Or most probably he will.... I don't know his priority. Remember, we already have acid/incendiary/shock bullets for other guns, why not those for shotguns?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Another progress report:

Core City and the Tchort Institute are full of fun quests, but I find both too big for the content they have available. I agree with whoever said the city feels a lot like the New Washington section of Flashback, which is one of my favorite levels ever. However, I don't like at all how the main quest was handled since it's both railroaded and extremely vague. I could take the complete lack of direction if you could actually find the acid hunters on your own, but no, you have to ally yourself with a company and fight enough times in the arena so they can just tell you where he is and that isn't intuitive in the slightest.

On the subject of the Arena, I'm now part of the Carnifex Kill Club.

boklJJq.jpg

It was a very AoD-esque fight considering that I only won through reloading enough times for my sound strategy to work (aimed sniper shot, flashback to stun, get up real close while stunned, burst twice).

I also killed those two psychic bitches on the island in a single turn with the use of the AFX sniper rifle and blitz. It didn't take nearly as many reloads. +M

Now I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I've run out sidequests I want to do (things left undone: all the gang war crap in the Junkyard crap I don't care about because one gang's as bad as another, protectorate/drones stuff because I want to maintain neutrality and they both come across like jerks, playing soldier for the Institude), and I've unlocked the point of no return quest, but I'm only freshly level 17. I'm getting the impression that may be "underleveled," but I don't want to wander around all over the place scrounging for oddities. :( Unless there's an extreme difficulty spike, I think I might be able to manage through stealth and being extraordinarily well-supplied. I'm open to advice.

And while I'm at it, is there a place I can buy/find a gas mask? I think I vaguely remember seeing one for sale at least once but figured "eh I'll buy it later when I need it" but when the time came when it'd actually be useful, I couldn't find any shopkeepers who'd sell one whatsoever. I've just been eating the damage and healing afterwards, but that's probably not the best of ideas in the caverns.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
If you do the drone/protectorate quest lines you will eventually gain a very useful armor for deep caverns.

1 gas mask is near Blaine's shop,next map to the right if I remember correctly.

Latelistener

Arcane
Unless there's an extreme difficulty spike, I think I might be able to manage through stealth and being extraordinarily well-supplied. I'm open to advice.
It is a game that relies heavily on exploration, so if you don't want to explore (why choose oddities then?), I'm not really sure what's there to offer. 17 is underleveled for DC, and yes, there is a difficulty spike. In fact, it was so massive that even people in this thread has gone butthurt (you can all it a final test for your build). Although it was nerfed (if I'm not mistaken) eventually, it is still not an easy location.

You can check specific oddities and try to pinpoint their locations.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Deep Caverns was never overly difficult for me at any point. My only issue with it was the fact you had to allow yourself to
get infected by spores
in order to proceed. It's illogical and the hint(s) aren't elegant enough.

Then again:
79bebb641f.png

I'm still pretty unhappy with the font changes. If Styg doesn't implement a user-friendly way to plug in our own, I'll either figure out how to hack in my own fonts, or else pay some coder to figure it out for me, then release a mod.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It is a game that relies heavily on exploration, so if you don't want to explore (why choose oddities then?), I'm not really sure what's there to offer.

I've been almost-thoroughly exploring every map I've been to. I chose oddities because I didn't want to get penalized for sneaking past enemies (which I've been doing for the most part).

17 is underleveled for DC, and yes, there is a difficulty spike. In fact, it was so massive that even people in this thread has gone butthurt (you can all it a final test for your build). Although it was nerfed (if I'm not mistaken) eventually, it is still not an easy location.

Sure will be funny if I beat it then, won't it?

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Deep Caverns was never overly difficult for me at any point. My only issue with it was the fact you had to allow yourself to
get infected by spores

Then again:
79bebb641f.png

I'm still pretty unhappy with the font changes. If Styg doesn't implement a user-friendly way to plug in our own, I'll either figure out how to hack in my own fonts, or else pay some coder to figure it out for me, then release a mod.

The problem with Deep Coverns is that it's just boring and tedious. There is a giant fetch quest and has so much backtracking.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
get infected by spores

Then again:
79bebb641f.png

The problem with Deep Coverns is that it's just boring and tedious. There is a giant fetch quest and has so much backtracking.
It has a lot of cool parts too though, with juicy lore info to be found, atmosphere and some nice locations and challenging combat. I think the biggest problem is that it locks you out of the rest of the game. There should have been some way to fix that second DC elevator and come and go as you please from a point on. That alone would improve the experience by a huge margin because you would be able to take a breather and also move through the game at your own pace, as it was up until that point.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You can take a cargo lift back to the surface, but not before solving the big puzzle and dealing with the big bad... or so I seem to recall.

In RPGs, people generally dislike being trapped, just as they generally dislike time limits (see: Fallout). However, it wouldn't feel much like having to survive in a harsh environment if you can take the turbolift up to the replicator any old time you want.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Something that COULD be neat was if you could find a single-use elevator. Something with a mechanic who says "I managed to patchwork it into a working condition, but I have no idea for how long it'll hold - might even break permanently the next time you get here!"

Black Angel

Arcane
Now I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I've run out sidequests I want to do (things left undone: all the gang war crap in the Junkyard crap I don't care about because one gang's as bad as another, protectorate/drones stuff because I want to maintain neutrality and they both come across like jerks, playing soldier for the Institude), and I've unlocked the point of no return quest, but I'm only freshly level 17. I'm getting the impression that may be "underleveled," but I don't want to wander around all over the place scrounging for oddities. :( Unless there's an extreme difficulty spike, I think I might be able to manage through stealth and being extraordinarily well-supplied. I'm open to advice.

And while I'm at it, is there a place I can buy/find a gas mask? I think I vaguely remember seeing one for sale at least once but figured "eh I'll buy it later when I need it" but when the time came when it'd actually be useful, I couldn't find any shopkeepers who'd sell one whatsoever. I've just been eating the damage and healing afterwards, but that's probably not the best of ideas in the caverns.
Yes, lvl 17 is absolutely underleveled for Deep Caverns. However, I remembered going down that elevator when I was just at that level or maybe 18 during my very first playthrough, since I skipped Protectorate/Free Drones questline AND the entire
Oculus
questline by ratting out Abram to the Protectorate, and on top of that I didn't even explored every nook and cranny of the South Underrail, so I missed a LOT of oddities. In that playthrough I spread my SPs thin across the board, though, not even able to craft a piece of decent gear at all down there, so you should have a bit more chance than me provided you focused on skills mattered to your build and playstyle since you skipped crafting. I ended up having to 'grind' for every bits of oddities I can find from critters to finally get extra SPs and a feat point to help me beat the last boss, and that was even with a help from an entirely optional side-quest. I got out of that shithole and ride up the elevator at lvl 20.

If you don't really want to side with any of the gang of Junkyard, I suggest work with Eddy's Scrappers to its' conclusion because his questline didn't end with a gang-war, or rather prevent any conflict escalation, and you're not even required to kill Blaine at all. Also, speaking of Abram, have you done his questline and the follow-ups I mentioned in the spoiler above?

Also, Deep Caverns absolutely a breeze for stealthers, but still quite tedious and absolutely ridiculous in some parts. As for gas mask, I remembered finding a biohazard suit/biotechnician's suit somewhere in the Warehouse down there, though they might be not your first choice as a stealther.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Something that COULD be neat was if you could find a single-use elevator. Something with a mechanic who says "I managed to patchwork it into a working condition, but I have no idea for how long it'll hold - might even break permanently the next time you get here!"

People could—bear with me now, because this is radical, outside-the-box thinking—people could also avoid being a bunch of whiny faggots who need a safe house and shops to flee back to at all times.

Granted, I haven't played the game in a long while. There should probably be some indication that you aren't allowed to return for a while; I don't remember if there is or not.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Through the use of kiting, an adrenaline shot with morphine, a low-level shield, and a cloaking field, I have succeeded against the pulsating root.

There's not going to be significantly more of this mandatory combat is there, I think I underestimated the number of batteries I'd need. :negative: In the interest of reducing the amount of mandatory backtracking, I've already spoiled what I have to do here, and I know I have a big fight with some robots coming up.

Latelistener

Arcane
You can find some supplies in the abandoned warehouses on the east (?) (place with a huge amount of shelves).
Dealing with robots was much harder for me, but I guess it depends on the class, and what kind of weapon you use.

Black Angel

Arcane
I bugged the place, but I'm not participating in a jailbreak.
You should just go with it. Participating with this one doesn't mean you will break your neutrality. In fact, doing this would give you a chance to join THE most neutral faction in ALL of Underrail.

Also because the quest and the follow-ups was mostly tailored to stealthers and overall subterfuge.

But hey, I see you've managed to get the pulsating root. Maybe you're running out of batteries, but do you have any EMP 'nades and maybe AP ammos?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You should just go with it. Participating with this one doesn't mean you will break your neutrality. In fact, doing this would give you a chance to join THE most neutral faction in ALL of Underrail.

Also because the quest and the follow-ups was mostly tailored to stealthers and overall subterfuge.

Well, too late now. :)

But hey, I see you've managed to get the pulsating root. Maybe you're running out of batteries, but do you have any EMP 'nades and maybe AP ammos?

I bought all the batteries I could from the tchortist and found a good stash in the warehouse section, so my battery concerns are fine for now. I've been buying every AP bullet I can for my guns the entire game and I have 9 EMP grenades.

I slightly regret listening to the advice I saw from a forum post telling me to dump my jhp ammo before entering the DC since there were/are enemies that would be effective against (specifically that damn root). :(

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Deep Caverns is the best part of Underrail.

I couldn't pick a favorite or "best" part. I like all of it.

The best moment however is definitely when
the Oculus appears.

It's exceptionally rare that a game can give me a "What... the... FUCK... is that?!" moment these days. It almost approaches awe, although that's not entirely possible on a screen the size of a pillow.

Black Angel

Arcane
I bought all the batteries I could from the tchortist and found a good stash in the warehouse section, so my battery concerns are fine for now. I've been buying every AP bullet I can for my guns the entire game and I have 9 EMP grenades.

I slightly regret listening to the advice I saw from a forum post telling me to dump my jhp ammo before entering the DC since there were/are enemies that would be effective against (specifically that damn root). :(
In that case, you should be fine now. Most stuff in Deep Caverns that you HAVE to fight would mostly be heavily armored, anyway. While stuff with little-to-no armor are fairly easy to sneak past.

But yes, it's much better to stock up on different types of ammos. Especially if you have some crafting to make acid/incendiary/shock bullets, their utility would absolutely come in handy in places like Deep Caverns.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
Guys where can I find trichrome steel before the beast quest?
Also does the jaggernaut feat takes account of armor sloping/nible?
I have a crafted steel armor with an armor penalty of 30%,without the armor sloping/nible its 65% but I can't qualify for juggernaut.
Isn't basic steel armour without any extra plates at 65% penalty?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IRIS is disabled and I now have more batteries than I know what to do with. Barring any surprises, I'm over the hump until Tchort-time. :cool:

Good god, the backtracking in that place though. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom