Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Released

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Codex has fapped its collective dick into a bloody stump over this game and it's all because of combat and nothing much else? Must be some seriously good combat then.

If by seriously good you mean completely generic, then yeah. Its oldschool to the bone, but hardly game breaking.

And yeah, it seems to be exploration/combat focused game (which is exactly what they advertise too). The writing is so mediocre it may as well not exist at all. I've literally forgotten what the plot is within 3 hours of playing.

Seems like fun little game, especially for the laughably low price you could grab it before launch. The systems are very nicely done, the atmosphere is great, but people calling it the real Fallout 3 need to lay of Mountain Dew.

SniperHF

Arcane
This is one of the few of the recent batch of RPGs I've intentionally avoided pre-release playing. Some interface complaints aside, it's really good. A steal at under $15.

I've only played up to the Quest but the maps are nice. I ended up using a grenade to kill that guy+ratdogs guarding one of the power stations. After playing a lot of games recently like Shadowrun and Blackguards where you don't really much choice in initiating events that was a nice change of pace.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Codex has fapped its collective dick into a bloody stump over this game and it's all because of combat and nothing much else? Must be some seriously good combat then.

If by seriously good you mean completely generic, then yeah. Its oldschool to the bone, but hardly game breaking.

And yeah, it seems to be exploration/combat focused game (which is exactly what they advertise too). The writing is so mediocre it may as well not exist at all. I've literally forgotten what the plot is within 3 hours of playing.

Seems like fun little game, especially for the laughably low price you could grab it before launch. The systems are very nicely done, the atmosphere is great, but people calling it the real Fallout 3 need to lay of Mountain Dew.

I agree, nonetheless it’s a new classic. If you think that people are exaggerating with this game, you have to remember that we have been promised an old-school game a few years now by Obsidian, InXile, Harebrained and other studios that were cashing in on the hype, but they were all superficial, bland, and forgettable games. Still, they receive a lot of support here and in other sites. Even Darth Roxor, that bashed PoE relentlessly, praised “Shadowrun: Dragon Fall”, which is an isometric popamoler game. That is how low we got. So, after a few years with kickstarter, millions of dollars in backing and all this bullshit about the cRPG renascence, how many worthy cRPGs we have? For me, besides Stgy with Underrail, only other two studios managed to deliver on their promises: Iron Tower, with “Age of Decadence”, and Whalenought Studios, with “Serpent in the Staglands”.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Fantastic exploration with detailed environmental interactivity; truly expert world-building; an intricate, nuanced, highly customizable crafting system; multiple approaches to many problems/crises; warring factions to align with or against; top-notch atmosphere and music; an extremely flexible character creation and progression system offering multiple playthroughs that play and feel completely differently; and yes, the combat itself, which is unbelievably sleek, complex, and well implemented, and of course also isometric and turn-based.

It's true that the writing isn't as wonderfully adjectivized or prolific as the most treasured storyfag graphic novels, that there aren't as many heavily-branching dialog trees, and that the overall story isn't jaw-droppingly awe-inspiring, speculative, or innovative (although frankly I think that people who outright worship PST et al. should crack open a proper sci-fi novel), but it is fairly unique, there is an element of mystery, and there are (reportedly; much has been added since EA) some surprising twists.

It's not bad, it's there, it's definitely serviceable, and there's actually quite a bit of it. We're talking about one man who seems to be mainly a programmer. Hiring a team of D&D nerds who fancy themselves published authors and have thesaurus fetishes really wasn't in the scope of the game.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It's true that the writing isn't as wonderfully adjectivized or prolific as the most treasured storyfag graphic novels, that there aren't as many heavily-branching dialog trees, and that the overall story isn't jaw-droppingly awe-inspiring, speculative, or innovative (although frankly I think that people who outright worship PST et al. should crack open a proper sci-fi novel), but it is fairly unique, there is an element of mystery, and there are (reportedly; much has been added since EA) some surprising twists.

It's not bad, it's there, it's definitely serviceable, and there's actually quite a bit of it. We're talking about one man who seems to be mainly a programmer. Hiring a team of D&D nerds who fancy themselves published authors and have thesaurus fetishes really wasn't in the scope of the game.

Well, the standard of good writing in cRPGs is measured by other cRPGs, not books. However, even if the writing of Underrail is not stellar, at least it has a lot of personality and it’s very immersive. I love the causal way in which NPCs talk about creatures, like rathounds and hoppers, or different cities and stations, etc. This, accompanied by a direct presentation, makes everything in the game look like a real world.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you think that people are exaggerating with this game, you have to remember that we have been promised an old-school game a few years now by Obsidian, InXile, Harebrained and other studios that were cashing in on the hype, but they were all superficial, bland, and forgettable games.

Balderdash, W2 and Dragonfall are one of the best cRPGs ever created, don't overdo the edgy. Other greats include both Grimrocks, MMX, DOS, Neo Scavenger or AoD. Plus a shitload of indies that are at least solid. We got infinitely more old-school goodness in the last few years than anyone had dared to dream about in the dark days of imbecility and decline.

But allright I'll give this game a shot.

At such a fantastic price I immediately ordered. Congrats on developers for achieving such a fantastic job! I'm so happy I now have a CRPG with no party based. And that music....such a fantastic time for PC players.

Last edited:

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you think that people are exaggerating with this game, you have to remember that we have been promised an old-school game a few years now by Obsidian, InXile, Harebrained and other studios that were cashing in on the hype, but they were all superficial, bland, and forgettable games.

Balderdash, W2 and Dragonfall are one of the best cRPGs ever created, don't overdo the edgy. Other greats include both Grimrocks, MMX, DOS, Neo Scavenger or AoD. Plus a shitload of indies that are at least solid. We got infinitely more old-school goodness in the last few years than anyone had dared to dream about in the dark days of imbecility and decline.

But allright I'll give this game a shot.

If you think Dragonfall and W2 are some of the best CRPGs ever made (wtf???) then you can't possibly be let down by Underrail.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Seems like fun little game, especially for the laughably low price you could grab it before launch
Well I wouldn´t call it little, because it has a lot of content (e.g. vast exploring, demanding character creation, crafting system....).
I would say the price is more than fair!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I agree, nonetheless it’s a new classic. If you think that people are exaggerating with this game, you have to remember that we have been promised an old-school game a few years now by Obsidian, InXile, Harebrained and other studios that were cashing in on the hype, but they were all superficial, bland, and forgettable games. Still, they receive a lot of support here and in other sites. Even Darth Roxor, that bashed PoE relentlessly, praised “Shadowrun: Dragon Fall”, which is an isometric popamoler game. That is how low we got. So, after a few years with kickstarter, millions of dollars in backing and all this bullshit about the cRPG renascence, how many worthy cRPGs we have? For me, besides Stgy with Underrail, only other two studios managed to deliver on their promises: Iron Tower, with “Age of Decadence”, and Whalenought Studios, with “Serpent in the Staglands”.

Oh I agree. Its definitely the closest to the 'oldschool style' out of this entire new batch of isometric RPGs.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Maybe I'm just dumb, but what do the unobscuration, SCT and 'Time between' options do?

Also, does anyone else have difficulties clicking on items in the toolbar? It's kind of hit and miss whether they are correctly selected on first click.

Great game so far.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The causals reviews are pure gold:

Not Recommended
2.7 hrs on record

Combat difficulty borders on unfair to impossible. I'm unable to get past the first few encounters and I can't be bothered to exploit the export/import like most people recommend.

The first 15 minutes of the game are cool but I wish I could figure out why I'm unable to kill the half dozen rats or groups of bandits sitting right outside the beginning of the level.

Not Recommended
12.9 hrs on record

I know this is a thinking persons game but I just find it too difficult. Nearly every encounter I feel overwhelmed. And I'm playing in the easy mode. Even though it appears open world you have to follow the progression of the story. I've not encountered any side quest. If you go exploring you will die. Hell, I die just following the storyline. As dated as this game looks it could be fun and enjoyable as you discover new things, but for me I just simply die at nearly every other encounter. I can't recommend this game because for me trying to figure out the best method to kill the monsters at every turn stops the fun and turns on the fustration.

Not Recommended
3.3 hrs on record

No map no sense of direction, Game is way harder then it needs to be.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lol how on earth people can think the beggining to be too hard.

I'm playing on normal, died like once per hour of gameplay so far, and I went full on crafting and speech skills, so I have no defensive skills whatsoever apart from 6 Con.

Wow.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I just remembered this. Guys, you can promote this game on the walking dead communities!

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Don't call it Fallout 3 please, call it UnderRail.

It will be great disservice for both Franchise, and i don't think UnderRail need to be related to Fallout when the game itself is great in own rights.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Really? The Spiderman meme AND as a video?

Sorry, that was disrespectful of me. You deserve better, so here's something danker.

f83fecef23.gif

HotSnack

Cipher
An early access game actually finished? How can this be?!

UnderRail is great as long as you don't expect planescape level writing or quest design.
You can say that about pretty much any rpg post MotB though. I've played the tutorial and early parts so far, and already find the writing more engaging than WL2, PoE and SRDF.

Edit: Actually add AoD on the good pile as well. The writing felt a bit crude at times, but it had the most interesting lore I've seen in a while.

epeli

Arcane
Maybe I'm just dumb, but what do the unobscuration, SCT and 'Time between' options do?
Unobscuration alpha is the alpha applied to partially obscured objects when you highlight(unobscure) them with Tab or Z.

Time between SCTs is time between scrolling combat text. In other words, the delay of the the little text popups above characters when they do stuff.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wonder how many weeks/months before Underrail goes on the 'banal,shit,boring', 'overhyped garbage' shitheap with the others?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom