Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like price got raised to $15 USD

Still an absolute steal.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hate it when games want the player to pick skills before they are at least somewhat familiar with the game. What is the ratio of locked doors/containers to hackable computers?, How do the rewards and hidden content behind them compare?, How good is melee versus ranged?, etc.. This pretty much guarantees your character customization will be uninformed in the first playthrough, and the story will be spoiled for potential future playthroughs.

Sssshhh! This is the Codex. Games should require 15 failed attempts before teaching you enough to actually play them. Anything less is :decline:
If you'd both have bothered to read a bit this fucking thread you would have known, that:

1. Underrail is not AoD where you need heavy specialization, or you're fucked
2. Underrail is not PoE where every game plays essentially the same, despite of your build.
3. In Underrail completely stupid builds will be punished, BUT if you put a modicum of thought into it and make a build that makes SENSE, it will be Perfectly VIABLE. You don't need extensive knowledge of the game and its systems to do that, just common sense.
4. Builds in Underrail play differently. Depending on your build the game gives you different ways to solve problems, approach combat, engage exploration. That's why Underrail has high replay value.
5. Obviously min-maxing a character requires metagaming knowledge. If you're the kind of faggot that wants to min-max from the first playthrough, wait for a walkthrough to tell you how to play your game, so you can feel good that you've rekd the game from the get go, while devouring doritos and gurgling down mountain dew.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, I've played through pre-release Underrail twice (to at or near max level in each case, and in one case to the very end of all available content), and I can't wait to play it through again.

Different character builds actually feel and play completely differently in this game, and there are many viable combinations. The six "basic" combinations are stealth melee, stealth ranged, armored melee, armored ranged, pure psi, and hybrid psi, but even those are oversimplifications.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I really don't understand the resolution complaints unless people are using 11" screens and playing at 1440p without the large font in-game options enabled, yet several people have complained about it.

I've always suspected that the Codex might be populated mostly by troglodytes with the visual acuity of cave salamanders, and I consider this strong evidence in favor.

Objectively, the game is NOT optimized to look the best at 1900x1080/1200 or above resolutions. This is apparant to pretty much anyone, seeing as the objects, characters, animations etc. (fonts lol) are mega tiny at those high resos. The game simply looks the best at lower resos like 900p, 720p or lower. The game is certainly playable at 1900x1200, and the games does look good, but everything is so fucking tiny. These are valid complaints, whether you agree or not. Several people on several forums have pointed them out, so you can't just ignore it (or shouldn't) as a game dev.

I will be looking forward to your resolution scaling / graphics settings and fixes with an optimization guide !

Of course, resolution discussions aside, the game is so great, it doesn't really suffer that much from it. It's just a minor complaint, but it does annoy people.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The font just needs a high res remake. The one now simply scales with some algorithm and thus it gets a bit blurry when you choose the bigger sizes, mainly because it's an intricate font. I'm sure styg will eventually get to it.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria

Still an absolute steal.

14 Euros and 19 Eurocents in Euroland

btw, how do you pump an abilty to 20 when you get 1 point per 4 levels and cap 20 (now 25)?

(i only played the ea till about lvl 5 or so)

I did some experimenting with the reso and as others said 720p gives the best result on my 1920*1200, for character details and text (apart from the orange stuff in some menus).

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

Still an absolute steal.

14 Euros and 19 Eurocents in Euroland

btw, how do you pump an abilty to 20 when you get 1 point per 4 levels and cap 20 (now 25)?

(i only played the ea till about lvl 5 or so)

I did some experimenting with the reso and as others said 720p gives the best result on my 1920*1200, for character details and text (apart from the orange stuff in some menus).

You don't, at least not solely with points earned through level ups, maybe some gear provides some attribute boni later. Afaik the level cap will be 30 in the final version albeit I am not sure about it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wouldn't worry about buildcrafting in Underrail too much. My first character wasn't optimal, but I still got as far as I wanted to (which was the end of the EA). You'll easily be able to do optimal builds after familiarizing yourself with the game somewhat. If it's such an issue then you can always just restart. It's not like it'll take _that_ much time as you'll be zipping through places a lot faster and easier with meta-knowledge, plus you can take the opportunity to try things differently and see how that works out. The only thing you can mess up anyway are your base stats, really. You need to be courageous and drop some of them all the way to the minimum value so you can maximize something else. The game isn't punishing in the least when you min/max your stats in that way because some stats will be absolutely useless to your build. Dump stats are determined by builds, but not a single stat is a dump stat in itself. Styg out did every single other RPG dev in this regard.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
3. In Underrail completely stupid builds will be punished, BUT if you put a modicum of thought into it and make a build that makes SENSE, it will be Perfectly VIABLE. You don't need extensive knowledge of the game and its systems to do that, just common sense.

I vouch for that. I made a dagger/dodge build and I'm killing everything. Sword (Knife) and Board (Riot Gear) is also pretty viable. Now, if only I could import those meteorite daggers from AoD... :happytrollboy:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think I'll try and make a stealth dagger guy with battlefield control psionics as a backup for my first playthrough. I'm not sure if I should bother upping perception for counter-stealth or not. It's funny to think that stealth characters might just ignore each other completely. There's too many ways I want to start this game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I think I'll try and make a stealth dagger guy with battlefield control psionics as a backup for my first playthrough. I'm not sure if I should bother upping perception for counter-stealth or not. It's funny to think that stealth characters might just ignore each other completely. There's too many ways I want to start this game.

Stealth characters rarely ignore each other completely unless you bypass them by a fairly wide margin. Since one typically explores each room or screen thoroughly in an RPG, this is unlikely. One of you will see the other first, because NPC stealthers don't skimp on their detection scores (the opposite is true).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How are strength based melee weapons?

I'd quite like to make a heavy armour/heavy melee character for my first proper character.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
How are strength based melee weapons?

I'd quite like to make a heavy armour/heavy melee character for my first proper character.

Technically, melee weapons of either kind may draw from either Strength or Dexterity, whichever's higher. Practically, sledgehammers are Strength-based.

Sledgehammers and heavy armor are a very strong combination, and as Hobo Elf indicates, Throwing is also commonly thrown into the mix, because armor 'n' hammer guys need some versatility and crowd control.

One significant advantage enjoyed by Strength-based armored melee is the ability to entirely skip both the Dodge and Evasion skills, freeing up points for Throwing and more/higher crafting skills.

Note that as an armored sledgehammer wielder, random hobos with prison shivs can fuck your whole world up pretty quickly. All builds have their weaknesses.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nobody answered my previous question about if there are aimed attacks/shots in this game and if there is body parts damage (like when you do damage you do it to certain body parts and like in F1/2 you can cripple enemies).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
After all the 1.0 additions, I'd guess that a non-rushed playthrough will clock in at 80-100 hours, easily.

Nobody answered my previous question about if there are aimed attacks/shots in this game and if there is body parts damage (like when you do damage you do it to certain body parts and like in F1/2 you can cripple enemies).

There are abilities granted by feats (Aimed Shot, Kneecap Shot, Point Shot, Steadfast Aim, etc.) that simulate this, some of which trade accuracy for more damage and/or add in crippling effects.

There is no HP damage to individual body parts, though.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

We need a fucking FAQ with all these questions coming out of the woodwork.

No, there's no aimed shots system like fallouts. There are, however, some feats and abilities, that cripple body parts (legs etc.)

Goromorg

Savant

ArchAngel

Arcane
After all the 1.0 additions, I'd guess that a non-rushed playthrough will clock in at 80-100 hours, easily.

There are abilities granted by feats (Aimed Shot, Kneecap Shot, Point Shot, Steadfast Aim, etc.) that simulate this, some of which trade accuracy for more damage and/or add in crippling effects.

There is no HP damage to individual body parts, though.
So more like WL2 system :(
My most fun playthrough in F2 was Melee+Jinxed+Doctor. I could fix all my injuries and at worst my weapon would drop to the ground, enemies were crippling themselves and their weapons exploding all the time :D
With no body parts damage outside special feats, this is not possible :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom