Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

I don't agree with the name change either. Even if it may be less relevant to the game setting, you went from a name that stands out and makes you really curious about its meaning, to one which evokes no imagery of any kind.

I would suggest either changing it back, or coming up with something new. "Underrail" is not going to do you any favours.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I think Underrail is a great name. It fits the setting and it has an 'established sci-fi universe' ring to it.

Timelapse Vertigo is also a good name, but it has a 12 Monkeys/Terminator feel to it. If your game isn't about time travel, or doesn't have anything else to suggest some sort of vertigo-inducing 'Timelapse', I don't think it would be right. It's also a bit of a mouthful. If it doesn't fit the setting it would just sound like two words that were thrown together because you thought they sounded cool.

quasimodo

Augur
I liked the Timelapse: Vertigo better. But in the end, it's just a name.

It's fine if you want to make turn-based combat, and fine if you don't. The bottom line is that it has to be fun, and something that works well with the rest of the engine/feel/etc.

Name a game like this that does not have TB combat and still manages to be good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't get it. I don't give a flying fuck what the name of the game is. It could be Billy's Buttfucking Adventure. As long as it has some solid cRPG gameplay elements I don't give a shit.

Styg: Just ignore the retards, and just continue developing this. The cRPG elements/game-play are your #1 priority. The name you can worry about later.

:love:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I liked the Timelapse: Vertigo better. But in the end, it's just a name.

It's fine if you want to make turn-based combat, and fine if you don't. The bottom line is that it has to be fun, and something that works well with the rest of the engine/feel/etc.

Name a game like this that does not have TB combat and still manages to be good.

Honestly I've not liked any game in the genre since Fallout :\

An atmospherefag, I could work with Arcanum's realtime combat if the game didn't immediately give off a terrible dull stench.

quasimodo

Augur
I have a decent mental list of TB games with guns that are fun. I can't however think of a single RTwP game with guns that I liked.

The catch here is that its a single character RTwP game......I suppose that would actually play a lot like Diablo with a pause. Point and click and shoot and pause to change weapons?????

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Hacking Computer Consoles

console.gif

Throughout the Underrail the player will encounter a great number of computer consoles. These consoles will have multiple security access levels that the player can attain by finding the required key card or by hacking.

The consoles have various purposes, such as:
  • Store documents (general texts, blueprints, messages)
  • Control electronic doors and storage lockers
  • Control automated turrets, sentry bots, etc.
  • Provide view through remote cameras

So investing in the hacking skill will allow you to change the environment to work to your advantage in combat, or avoid the combat altogether. In some cases it will also be an alternative to persuading/bribing/fighting your way to the key card in order to progress in some locations because you’ll just be able to hack your way through.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Those models look really good. Those consoles sound good too. I like the green screen glow.

Johannes

Arcane
RTwP is totally fine if done well, but how about a party or possibility to have controllable NPCs? Or is the UI and coding too much based on the 1 PC model already?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Thanks for the support, guys!

villain of the story said:
I'm so :bounce:, I'd just like to know if you need any assistance on anything. This shit can't come out fast enough!
Not until I have a public demo ready, which is still long ways off, so keep your pants up. ;)

Johannes said:
RTwP is totally fine if done well, but how about a party or possibility to have controllable NPCs? Or is the UI and coding too much based on the 1 PC model already?
Yeah, the game specific code is pretty much tied into using a single player character. Not that I couldn't change this if I wanted, the engine can support it. However, single character approach is something I decided way back in the early design stages and much of the game design revolves around it.

I might add uncontrollable (or semi-controllable) "pets" at one point, but that's a low priority feature.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

console.gif

Throughout the Underrail the player will encounter a great number of computer consoles. These consoles will have multiple security access levels that the player can attain by finding the required key card or by hacking.

So investing in the hacking skill will allow you to change the environment to work to your advantage in combat, or avoid the combat altogether. In some cases it will also be an alternative to persuading/bribing/fighting your way to the key card in order to progress in some locations because you’ll just be able to hack your way through.

How does the Hacking Skill work in this instanc (just curious).

Is it:

A. A check to see if you have a certian level in the Hacking Skill and then can use the options available at this terminal.
B. A check to see if you have a certian level in the Hacking Skill and then a further skill check (or dice roll) to see if you are successful at using the options on this terminal.
C. A check to see if you have the Hacking Skill, if so you can use the options on this terminal.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

console.gif

How does the Hacking Skill work in this instanc (just curious).

Is it:

A. A check to see if you have a certian level in the Hacking Skill and then can use the options available at this terminal.
B. A check to see if you have a certian level in the Hacking Skill and then a further skill check (or dice roll) to see if you are successful at using the options on this terminal.
C. A check to see if you have the Hacking Skill, if so you can use the options on this terminal.

Here's how it works exactly:

There's a sub menu at the terminal that allows you to hack it to gain certain access level. The higher the level, the more difficult the hacking. The hacking check is your effective hacking skill (skill points in hacking + modifiers) vs. the hacking difficulty (fixed number depending on the access level and importance of the console).

There's no randomness such as virtual dice rolls, the hacking levels that are not attainable are grayed out in the menu.

Once the console is hacked, you permanently unlock the options that come with that access level at that console.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There's a sub menu at the terminal that allows you to hack it to gain certain access level. The higher the level, the more difficult the hacking. The hacking check is your effective hacking skill (skill points in hacking + modifiers) vs. the hacking difficulty (fixed number depending on the access level and importance of the console).

There's no randomness such as virtual dice rolls, the hacking levels that are not attainable are grayed out in the menu.

Once the console is hacked, you permanently unlock the options that come with that access level at that console.

OK cool. Keep up the great work!

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Lower Underrail

I've been mostly working on graphics for a new area in the previous week.

LowerUnderrail1.gif
LowerUnderrail2.gif

The are two major metro networks in the Underrail: Lower and Upper Underrail.

Lower Underrail (shown on the screenshots) is sort of industrial/military zone that back in the days of its prime housed a number military training grounds and production facilities, power plants, warehouses, secret research facilities, prisons and more. Some of these locales are abandoned now and some are inhabited and adapted by small groups or independent mid sized colonies.

While everyone protects their own station and the immediate surroundings, no larger faction has a decent grip on the Lower Underrail so it remains largely unpoliced. Wondering its long dark sprawling tunnels is dangerous business, especially if you venture unprepared.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom