Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Doktor Best

Arcane
sounds awesome! cant wait to play this, but i pledged to myself to wait until the release...

Kalasanty11

Learned
Most importantly, I implemented a noise system so the player will now have to consider more than just visual perception when handling a hostile area. This system works in a simple manner - certain actions, mostly relate to combat, such as firing weapons, grenade explosions, etc now emit a certain level of noise that travels through the map, with walls and other obstacles dampening their propagation (with certain thick walls doing so drastically). This will cause certain weapons - crossbows, knives and silenced pistols (and to lesser extent sledgehammers), will now have an edge over other weapon types when doing a stealth assassination.

GREAT improvement. It always bothered me that my enemies are completely deaf. Once I even assasinated a guy with cryokinesis instead of assault rifle, just for larping roleplaying purpose. It would be nice if there was added silencer to some guns. Unless it's already there and I'm just blind.

Also, have a good time on your vacation, don't get killed by terrorists :)

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GREAT improveSMGs
. It always bothered me that my enemies are completely deaf. Once I even assasinated a guy with cryokinesis instead of assault rifle, just for larping roleplaying purpose. It would be nice if there was added silencer to some guns. Unless it's already there and I'm just blind.

Also, have a good time on your vacation, don't get killed by terrorists :)
  • Added silencer enhancement that can be added to 5mm pistols and SMGs
Also terrorists? In the Mediterranean? Wtf are you smoking?

epeli

Arcane
You know, after spending way too many years jumping from MMORPG to another and seeing dev blindness slowly ruin each game with every single patch... Underrail's devlogs are nothing short of miracles in comparison. There's always a good amount of new stuff across the board and player concerns are addressed. Problems are actually solved, not handwaved away or made worse. Styg really knows how to distill useful information from all the feedback channels while staying true to his vision with plenty of original ideas. AND he keeps implementing stuff they said wouldn't be done!

Watching the development of Underrail has been a pleasure. The world needs more Stygs.:love:

ST'Ranger

Augur
Imagine the incomprehensible suffering that another universe endures so that we might, on balance, experience such sublime joy.

I can hardly grasp the concept of this game getting any better. The Incline is steep, brothers. We must gather our strength and carry on with twice the effort if we are to survive the climb to the top.

Abhay

Augur
I have yet to try thus game. Last time I checked the game was supposed to be released by July ( if I'm correct ).
So, I'd like to know the final release of the complete game, and also, as a new player, Is there going to be a tutorial/manual explaining the concept and mechanics of the game on purchase?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
  • Added silencer enhancement that can be added to 5mm pistols and SMGs
Also terrorists? In the Mediterranean? Wtf are you smoking?
Well, depends on which side of the sea you are talking about, right? But I bet Styg is vacationing somewhere in Croatia like a proper human being.

As for the update. Nerfs all around, but they were expected as certain items, feats and builds worked to well together. But I bet those "The game is too hard" from steam will cry even more now.

The noise addition is a welcomed surprise for me, did not expect a major component still being added to the game, but its logical and makes the game more interesting so Im all for it.

I was also under the impression that there are going to be some new PSI abilities added before the release, as per the wiki listing some of their names. But maybe they will be revealed later on.

And Styg have some joyful vacations, you marvelous bastard!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Goddammit Styg, why you gotta make my dick rock hard with such awesome updates!

Have a good vacation, buddy! This game is absolutely amazing!

GOTY 2015 confirmed ;)

Sykar

Arcane
Styg I love those changes, especially that PSI characters will have a less health than non-PSI characters so there really is a hard choice to be made. This should make things interesting especially in the early game.

I cannot wait to see the initial areas with those improved gorgeous background graphics. It will be glorious. I'd give you a well deserved brofist but alas, Codex still thinks I am too much of a newfag for that so this will have to suffice:

:bro:

Diggfinger

Arcane
enjoy your well-deserved holidays, Styg.

This game looks more and more awesome. All the changes show that you have an underlying appreciation/understanding of what a good RPG is.
Godspeed, good sir! :obviously:

epeli

Arcane
I was also under the impression that there are going to be some new PSI abilities added before the release, as per the wiki listing some of their names. But maybe they will be revealed later on.

They were listed in a previous devlog:
  • Psi
    • Added the remaining nine psi abilities, three for each psionic school.
    • Psychokinesis
      • Electrokinetic Imprint - Places a hidden electrokinetic imprint on the ground that deals electrical damage and stuns the first creature to step on it. Only one imprint can be active in an area at a time.
      • Disruptive Field - Creates a disruptive field around the target that reduces their chance to hit with ranged and thrown weapons.
      • Implosion - Deals mechanical damage equal to a percentage of target's current health. This attack bypasses damage threshold and shields.
    • Thought Control
      • Psi-cognitive Interruption - Burns target's psi points, dealing damage equal to a percentage of psi burned and also applies psi inhibition which prevents the target from invoking psi abilities or regenerating psi points.
      • Mirror Image Pseudo-spatial Projection - Projects additional copies of yourself in the immediate vicinity that travel with you. Each time you are attacked by a weapon or unarmed attack there's a chance that the attack will hit a copy instead, removing it. Machines and true-sighted attackers cannot be fooled by this mind trick.
      • Neurovisual Disruption - You disappear from the sight of the target, removing its ability to detect for 1 turn, and immediately enter stealth. Target also has its perception reduced by 5 and detection by 50% for 5 turns. Likewise, does not work on machines or true-sighted enemies.
    • Metathermics
      • Cryokinetic Orb - You launch a large frozen orb which shatters on impact, sending ice shards flying in all directions. Each shard deals cold and mechanical damage and chills the target. Due to shards fanning out, targets closer to the place of impact may be hit with up to multiple shards, while those farther away might not be hit at all. Each shard has 50% chance to inflict a bleeding wound that does additional 100% of the original mechanical damage done.
      • Exothermic Aura - Makes you immune to heat damage and generates flames around you and in your wake. Flame generation stops one turn before the aura expires, giving you the opportunity to flee your inferno.
      • Cryo-shield - Creates a number of frozen shards around the invoker. Each time the character suffers a melee attack, there's 50% chance that one of the shards will block some mechanical damage and be destroyed in the process.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
For all of Blakemore's posturing and postulation, Styg is the man quietly delivering the goods.

Goblino

Savant
Just got this, and I have a question about the oddity experience system. How difficult is it at present, and is it worth trying on a first time play, or should I just use classic?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Just got this, and I have a question about the oddity experience system. How difficult is it at present, and is it worth trying on a first time play, or should I just use classic?
Use oddity, its not difficult at all. You get a fair amount of them and level in a steady pace, you can even game the system a little bit if you know where certain oddities are to get some more experience quickly but thats beyond your first playthrought.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Use oddity, its not difficult at all. You get a fair amount of them and level in a steady pace, you can even game the system a little bit if you know where certain oddities are to get some more experience quickly but thats beyond your first playthrought.

Further to this, if you an explorefag it is highly rewarding gameplay wise.

Goblino

Savant
I've tried a little of both systems, and I think I'll go with oddities. I don't think I've ever seen a game with artifact based experience, and I like it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Must... resist... playthrough!!!

But seriously, I've been following this game since it was first announced in.. Jesus was it really 2012? September 2nd 2012 was the first time I posted in this thread.
I've been into this game since it's old name and the old menu screen.
FUCK I FEEL OLD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom