Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

epeli

Arcane
IIRC Styg did mention somewhere that he regrets making the icons so small, but it was a necessary compromise early on when he was doing all the graphics work alone. They won't be redone at this point since there's over 1000 of them.

Sykar

Arcane
The UI is functional and decently developed. You get 3 hotbars with 10 slots which you access with alt and shift. Some stuff like shift+q for direct reload of your weapon with normal ammo. It's small and very unobtrusive which is a bug plus in my bug. I hate nothing more than overly big icons and stuff. It serves no real purpose and only distracts from what is actually happening.

Alfons

Prophet
I hate the way the inventory system works. Is there a way to stop it from bumping up items to the top?

Fry

Arcane
How many people are actually working on this? Main guy and a couple of part time artists?

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Been playing a bit, but I see that the Oddity xp system seems to be preferred. Time to restart I suppose.
if you want to be all combat alla time...maybe go for classic, but so far Oddities has felt more natural and rewarding with any build. It doesnt remove the reward for kills, like eg POE, since enemies will often drop an xp oddity. I had reservations but would never go back, and I pray that underrail's (hopeful) popularity will allow this to be a mechanic we see more of in the future.
Id love to see "oddity" xp mods to other pc games. Like Skyrim, but ive played enough of that for one lifetime, mods wont bring me back.

Alfons

Prophet
if you want to be all combat alla time...maybe go for classic, but so far Oddities has felt more natural and rewarding with any build. It doesnt remove the reward for kills, like eg POE, since enemies will often drop an xp oddity. I had reservations but would never go back, and I pray that underrail's (hopeful) popularity will allow this to be a mechanic we see more of in the future.
Id love to see "oddity" xp mods to other pc games. Like Skyrim, but ive played enough of that for one lifetime, mods wont bring me back.
I've heard more than once that the oddity system is more "rewarding" than classic, but I don't see it. I killed 2 level 8 mobs at level at 4 and I got nothing for it, that doesn't seem very rewarding.

Alfons

Prophet
The stealth/pickpocket builds benefit greatly from oddity while combat builds suffer.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
The stealth/pickpocket builds benefit greatly from oddity while combat builds suffer.
I just dont see it. You dont get rewarded for EVERY mob, but one oddity may take you 1/4 of the way to a new level all at once. But every major map generated some oddities for me from combat, plus the ones obtained as quest rewards. I can see how if you have zero sneak/lockpick/hacking/social skills and dont do quests but just wandered around doing combat then your progression may be slower.
The majority of mine arent from locked containers, or if they are there are often more than one way to access them eventually, eg force, a keycard, lockpicking, etc. The level difference between you and the enemy doesnt matter, just that once or two enemies on every map WILL drop an oddity, and sometimes those artifacts will be worth 0% 25% or even 50% of progress towards a new level.

Alfons

Prophet
Did you mess around with pickpocket and stealth? As soon as you hit junkyard there are 4-6 exp that are unavailable to you unless you have both. From what epeli stated numerous times this seems to continue throughout the game.

The level difference between you and the enemy doesnt matter
That is what I don't like. I don't mind that killing is a limited exp resource, but I think there is too much randomness involved. For instance, killing two enemies that are twice my level gives me nothing, but killing a level 1 mob that doesn't fight back gives me 2 exp.

Sykar

Arcane

Nonsense.
Concise and retarded. :salute:

Stealth builds usually avoid most combat. This coupled with the fact that Oddity drops are random on enemies often leads to stealth builds not getting as many Odities fom enemies than combat heavy builds but they can often make it up with Lockpicking/Hacking. Therefore it's pretty balanced between the two.
If you want to talk about "retarded" I'd start looking into a mirror if I were you.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I can see how that would be an issue. My psi character before deciding to go for lockpicking though was still level 4 by the time i got to junkyard, and 6-7 once i was done with most of it. about one level behind the rebuild that took stealth and lockpick.
for a mostly combat character though the system could encourage sticking to completing quests and NOT exploring and fighting, as those will yield less xp rewards without investment in noncombat skills.

Alfons

Prophet
Issue is a strong word, I just don't like that. This "issue" might only exist with builds that go heavy on psi, I tried killing the same mobs while underleveled and it didn't go too well.

As far as pure stealth vs pure combat, yeah it's balanced, but I was referring to builds that have stealth/pickpocket. I don't see the point of skipping combat entirely in this game, that's where all the meat is.

Diggfinger

Arcane
The UI is functional and decently developed. You get 3 hotbars with 10 slots which you access with alt and shift. Some stuff like shift+q for direct reload of your weapon with normal ammo. It's small and very unobtrusive which is a bug plus in my bug. I hate nothing more than overly big icons and stuff. It serves no real purpose and only distracts from what is actually happening.

:excellent:

UI is fine as it is. Focus should be on getting the darn thing done gameplay and mechanics

ST'Ranger

Augur

Nonsense.
Concise and retarded. :salute:

Stealth builds usually avoid most combat. This coupled with the fact that Oddity drops are random on enemies often leads to stealth builds not getting as many Odities fom enemies than combat heavy builds but they can often make it up with Lockpicking/Hacking. Therefore it's pretty balanced between the two.
If you want to talk about "retarded" I'd start looking into a mirror if I were you.

Let's make a few things clear.

a) "Stealth builds usually avoid most combat." Stealth builds are still combat builds. Stealth builds can avoid a great deal of combat, but this fact in no way implies that they should or must. If you feel that your stealth character is skipping too much combat, I suggest not doing so as a remedy to the problem.
b) All oddities from enemies are limited to 1/2/3 maximum. Chances for them to be holding those oddities ranges from 100% to ~20%. And for each enemy with probabilistic oddity drop, there are multiple dozens to over a hundred present in the game itself (and all of them respawn after some amount of time). This means that you can easily avoid the vast majority of combat with these enemies while still collecting all the oddities from them.
c) Hacking and lockpicking (and to a lesser degree, pickpocketing) each offer availability to oddities that cannot be achieved by a character without those skills until later in the game, sometimes much later.

Given b) and c), it is unavoidable to conclude that characters lacking hacking/lockpicking/pickpocketing will trail behind other characters in terms of oddity XP, all else being equal.

Now, let's consider the same idea from the point of view of classic XP. The majority of enemies in the game respawn after a certain amount of time. Opportunities to use skills like lockpicking and hacking are fixed. This means that combat XP will inevitably outpace non-combat XP in the long run. The point where this occurs will depend somewhat on playstyle and progression path.

One of the big conveniences of the game for Stealth character is the ability to avoid "unnecessary" combat. If you choose to exercise this ability, though, you lose out on combat XP. This is (among many other reasons involving grinding) a reason that oddity XP is superior in terms of gameplay, character development etc. to classic XP. Choosing to go with oddity XP is kind of like activating a patch that buffs an entire playstyle, making many more cool characters available to play without strings attached.

Thus, we can see that "combat" characters come out ahead in classic XP, and characters which like to avoid (some) combat have the possibility to come out ahead in oddity XP.

Diggfinger

Arcane
the Underrail.com site has been updated! Gone are the links to Gamers Gate and Desutra. They have been replaced by a ... a .... *excuse me while I vomit in my mount.*..LINK TO STEEEAM!! *crows and bats fly of the screen and ominous organ music plays*

This is unholy! What manner of trickery is this?
Has Styg gone mad?! Decided to sell on DRM Portal aka. Steam only, has he? Sold his soul to Besestha as well because they promised to convert Underrail into Gamebryo "take good care" of teh IP?
Are the rumors true??:(:(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
maxresdefault.jpg

You seem upset Diggfinger

epeli

Arcane
Oh snap, Ulminati revealed the final boss of Underrail!

How many people are actually working on this? Main guy and a couple of part time artists?
It's a little bit bigger operation than that. Three guys working full-time and a few freelancers doing music and additional art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom