Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

JoKa

Cipher
Twinkie, I was able to speak with the Dude, so it's not bugged for everyone. He gives a nice quest and is generally a cool character. The dude abides.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Twinkie, I was able to speak with the Dude, so it's not bugged for everyone. He gives a nice quest and is generally a cool character. The dude abides.

I'm afraid it will be bugged for the old saves. One way to fix it is to (without starting a new game):
  • exit the area
  • save the game
  • open the save folder
  • delete lmaps\rc1*.*
He should a dialog after that. Also, there's another quest we added to the area that you'll get access this way.

On second thought, you could always buy a TNT charge, restart the game with that character and just go to Rail Crossing. :)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
It must be done even in the most basic things - for example, once I'm done in this post, I'm gonna go into the Underrail thread and pester Styg to change his character creation slightly. Atm, you start with 5 points in all 7 stats and 5 bonus points to distribute. You can decrease stats to a minimum of 3 to gain bonus points. So it's like 5 stat points in the pool and 14 already distributed. I will propose that the character creation starts with all stats at the value of 3 and 19 points to distribute - no change in the rules, just a change in the presentation. Whether intended or not, Underrail is a min-maxing game with tough combat, so spreading your stats too thin (and I've watched some random LPs - all of them started the game with a bunch of 5-6-7 average stats, no min-maxing) will hurt the player. So why push him in the wrong direction when you can push in the right one?

I must also add that it would've been interesting to see a couple of perks that actually reward the extreme mediocrity (for example, they require you to have 6 in all stats to be taken), but, ultimately, the game is all about focusing on 3 or 4 stats atm and it's too late to push it into the other direction, imo.

JoKa

Cipher
Another thing I've noticed is that the freshly added maps (i.e. Foundry etc.) were all completely revealed from the start - I became disoriented because of that as I thought I've already been there. Intended?
Another thing - the tunnels are bloody confusing, I know I'm popamole but is there a way to implement a map or something? If there already is one, I'll hit my head against the wall for being stupid :/

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Another thing I've noticed is that the freshly added maps (i.e. Foundry etc.) were all completely revealed from the start - I became disoriented because of that as I thought I've already been there. Intended?
Another thing - the tunnels are bloody confusing, I know I'm popamole but is there a way to implement a map or something? If there already is one, I'll hit my head against the wall for being stupid :/

Urban maps (or at least most of them) are meant to be revealed.

Map will be added at some point probably.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Maybe add a cartography skill/perks, where the higher the skill the more detailed the map.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Are Human Brains involved in any quests at this stage? I found one in a Lurker trunk just outside of Camp Hathor.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Maybe add a cartography skill/perks, where the higher the skill the more detailed the map.

Or tie it to the perception attribute.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Eh, I don't know if I like attaching skills to map usage. Seems too much like Christopher Columbus of the rail line. IMO, once you've gone to an area you should have it "marked down." Cartography is no longer a difficult science. Also, it's a weak gameplay dynamic. Very passive, not proactive.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if this has been asked or not, but will we be able to salvage certain components from our crafted items (for instance, the super string upgrade from a crossbow?) I like having to search for higher quality components but it feels like I am perpetually waiting for the best so I can make a good item and not 'waste' them. For instance, if I find a really nice regenerative vest, I either have to wait for an undisclosed amount of time so I can find other quality components to match, or use it together with comparatively-worse components without the wait time. Maybe it could be balanced by requiring much higher crafting skills, or the ability to only salvage one component per item, or the use of an expensive salvage kit etc.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a breakdown mechanic, acquired by blueprint, but Yoshiyyahu makes a great point about keeping certain valuable components. Perhaps there could be an option to either turn an item into scrap or break it down into it's original components? Styg ?

JoKa

Cipher
Well, having those valuable components back by recycling them would further trivialize the game's economy. At least on normal difficulty I'm swimming in cash (4000+ stygian coins) and already have not much to spend it on. Remember, at the moment you can't even add scopes to existing weapons -my understanding of the reason for this was the difficulty of balancing the economy. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to break down those items and add better augments...

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
*shrugs*

I had plenty to spend my money on. I never let myself dip lower than 500 stygian, but I was often tempted.

x4nti

Educated
It'd definitely be an improvement if you could salvage the components from items, rather than just turning them into generic parts for repair kits.

Crafting needs to get more useful simple because most of the time you'll be finding things (in shops or otherwise) that are around 95% as good as the best stuff you can craft. The limiting factor in crafting is the quality of components - so something (a mechanic tied to crafting skils?) that could improve on the quality would be nice. Maybe something like: If you have two items of the same type and quality within say 85% of each other then you can combine them to make one item with higher quality than any of the two was before.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I still say we (or shop-keeps) should be able to add some weapon mods to existing weapons, where logical (laser, magazine, etc).
+M

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Being able to break down an item and gain one of its components is something that I've been considering before. I might implement it. It would, as someone pointed out, make it a bit easier for players to obtain the components for that "perfect" weapon they're looking for. :)

Adding mods to existing weapons might happen at a later date. I want to implement more enhancements first to see what does and what doesn't make sense to mod separately from crafting. Also, I must consider how this will interact with the item breakdown mentioned above - will you be able to detach it at will, etc and will that make it too cheap economically, and such.

World map(s) will most likely be implemented at some point. No cartography skill required.

It must be done even in the most basic things - for example, once I'm done in this post, I'm gonna go into the Underrail thread and pester Styg to change his character creation slightly. Atm, you start with 5 points in all 7 stats and 5 bonus points to distribute. You can decrease stats to a minimum of 3 to gain bonus points. So it's like 5 stat points in the pool and 14 already distributed. I will propose that the character creation starts with all stats at the value of 3 and 19 points to distribute - no change in the rules, just a change in the presentation. Whether intended or not, Underrail is a min-maxing game with tough combat, so spreading your stats too thin (and I've watched some random LPs - all of them started the game with a bunch of 5-6-7 average stats, no min-maxing) will hurt the player. So why push him in the wrong direction when you can push in the right one?

I must also add that it would've been interesting to see a couple of perks that actually reward the extreme mediocrity (for example, they require you to have 6 in all stats to be taken), but, ultimately, the game is all about focusing on 3 or 4 stats atm and it's too late to push it into the other direction, imo.

While I do agree that there's substantial advantage in min-maxing in Underrail, I disagree that it's to the extent where you absolutely must do it. When I play the game I only make sure to max my primary offensive stat and not to spread the rest too thin and that usually does the trick. Keep in mind as well, that even if you start with like 6-7 points in your primary stat, you will be able to eventually increase it through leveling and obtain the juicy feats related to it.

Also, I like the idea of rewarding moderate investment in "off-spec" stats and skill that grant you feats that enhance your primary skills (e.g. Cheap Shots) and intend to add more of that stuff. It will make builds more diversified and interesting.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
New Meds, Psi, and Weapons; Core City Sneak Peek

Hey guys. The development of the next city-state in the world of Underrail is in full swing. Core City, the metropolis of the South Underrail, is the largest of the urban areas this game will feature. Here's a little sneak peek:

cc1.jpg
cc2.jpg
cc3.jpg

I've added more firearms: one new pistol, one new SMG, two more assault rifles and two more sniper rifles. Also added two new crossbows. One model from each of the weapon categories (pistol, SMG, crossbow, etc) will be only available through crafting. This doesn't mean it will necessarily be stronger than the others, just different.

I've tweaked the base stats (damage spread, crit chance, crit bonus, precision, etc) of each of the firearm and crossbow models to diversify them further and make the choice between them more meaningful when crafting or purchasing. I won't be adding any more craftable firearms or crossbows to the game (though we will be adding unique ones), instead I'll be adding more weapon enhancements you'll be able to add to the mix when crafting your weapon of choice. These new enhancements will only be available through crafting, meaning, they won't appear (or will appear extremely rarely) on randomly generated gear.

Additionally, in the future I will be adding more character feats that will play on strengths of thoughtfully crafted and enhanced custom weapons. E.g. if you make a character build that gives you a number of ways to perform on-demand critical hits, you'll want to stack critical damage bonus and use a slow hard hitting weapon; while on the other hand if you have feats that give you extra on-hit effects (such as flat damage bonus) with critical hits and have high dexterity you'll want to use quick light weapons with high critical hit chance.

In other news:

• Items
    • Added throwing knives - they are fairly inexpensive and their damage scales with your throwing skill. While they are unlikely to replace your primary offensive skill, they do act as a nice ranged supplement for high dexterity characters, especially when you use the poisoned ones.
    • Added electrical pistols - a type of energy pistol that shoots electrical bolts that stun the primary target and jump a few times (similar to electroshock bolts)
    • Added two energy weapon enhancements - only applicable through crafting; one increases the critical damage bonus, while the other increases the special attack damage
    • Added 5 new crafting only meds and appropriate organs and chemicals that are needed to produce them
  • Creatures
    • Added the deadly coil spider
  • Psi
    • Added Thermodynamic Destabilization (metathermics) - You tag a creature with a debuff. If you kill it within 2 turns, it will explode, dealing heat and mechanical damage to everything around it. The amount of damage dealt scales with the metathermics skill and the amount of health the creature had when it was tagged
    • Added Enrage (Thought Control) - Enrages a living target for up to 4 turns which causes it to turn hostile to everyone.
    • Reworked Force Emission (Psychokinesis) - No longer provides extra range, but works with fist weapons as well.
    • Added Telekinetic Proxy (Psychokinesis) - Moves the telekinetic proxy from its current location to the specified location, dealing mechanical damage to everything in its path. If the proxy is not present, is too far away, or doesn't have a clear straight line path to the destination, a new one will be spawned. Telekinetic proxy will mimic your single target telekinetic psi abilities and effects (currently Telekinetic Punch and Force Emission) if the target is within its radius. The proxy lasts 3 turns, but the timer refreshes with each move or mimic.
  • Bug fixes
    • Fixed the overly heavy boots (will only affect the newly generated/crafted items, the old ones will remain heavy)
    • Crawler poison component now correctly named (was "Cave Ear" poison)
    • Plot items can no longer vanish when attempting to transfer them to the trading window (oops)
    • Opportunity feat now works with wrestling/tacklling (they are considered slows)
    • Balaclava repair category changed to fabric
    • Armor penalty calculation rounding errors fixed (Nimble feat should now apply properly in all cases)
    • Bleeding wounds from boots/armor enhancements will now stack as they should
    • Weapons of wheeled bots and turrets now considered firearms so vests should work correctly against them now
    • Dirty kick now triggers hostilities as it does in real life
    • You can now reload chemical pistol from the quick reload bar like other weapons (cannot unload, that's inteded)
    • Combo feat will now properly stack when using armors or boots that provide extra damage
    • You can no longer use Expose Weakness to kill The Beast or other stuff that's immune to mechanical damage
    • No longer possible to beat up some creatures to the point their "armor" degrades

That's all for now. Cheers.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Styg

Bro, is there an approximate release date for the game? Can you at least name the year?

I've bought the game long ago, but won't play till it's complete.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah Styg , more crafting and more variety in weapons is exactly what I wanted so I am oh so very happy with this update.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Styg

Bro, is there an approximate release date for the game? Can you at least name the year?

I've bought the game long ago, but won't play till it's complete.

It will be this year for sure.

With each update post you make, i keep thinking "there's no way this will be released this year, it's just so much". Glad to hear your optimistic about the timeframe for release, because each time i fire up steam and see the beta sitting there, the urge to play it is just too much :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom