Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Any recommendations for a newb build? I got the game to work by frantically clicking at startup to skip whatever it's doing that causes crash on startup.

Check out this excellent video: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...cess-now-available.69181/page-42#post-3227847

Thanks for that. I'm in that early stage where I cannot figure out what build I want so I'm playing around with the early game. I heard psi kinda sucks from the Steam forums a while back is that still true do you know?

Going to watch that video again. I had 8 in 4 stats and left will/int to 5 because I wanted a stealthly xbow wielding 'burgular' type with some psi abilities but I feel like the game was really designed for min/maxing like the gentleman in the video was saying.

To everyone else who has not played it -get it-. Massive incline. The game feels like a good CRPG from the get-go. Not the half hearted nonsense you get playing WL2's start.

Stokowski

Arcane
I have no idea of the flow of Underrail's budget but I wonder if this doesn't work to its advantage. In film I've noticed that a low budget and/or working under censorship allows some artists to work around these constraints in creative ways. So I wonder if the constraint of limited ressources, at least at the start, doesn't push game developpers like Styg, or VD for that matter, to have a very precise no-nonsense vision of the work to do and its objectives, especially compared to crowdfunding when people end up with a considerable sum of money from the start and often do not know how to manage it and waste parts of it on frivolous stuff.
aka Peter Jackson Syndrome. ;)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I heard psi kinda sucks from the Steam forums a while back is that still true do you know?

Not if you understand how the abilities work and you're generally good at this type of game. My current build is combat-proficient in Guns, Traps and Thought Control (in that order) and my entire combat strategy is based on the cooperation of all combined uses of talent. And my character kicks ass.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Question. When I find an oddity and "transfer it" to my inventory, is it consumed and the XP awarded at that time? That doesn't seem very clear. I went looking for them but they are not in my inventory.

Branm

Learned
So, thanks to the codex I bought this game and wow....I haven't spent this much time in a game for a long time. Love it so much fun and it seems a lot of the builds might actually be viable!!! (playing a full out Psyker at the moment, my only gripe is that there is a distinct lack of Regen powers, or things that decrease psi cost of spells, everything reduces AP cost of spells which isn't really an issue)

Only thing I found is Premeditation and Shroomhead. I never picked up Shromhead looks like a waste of a talent point.

Just one question, I read there was some new areas added. I found the one in the east with the hunter camp. ( I'm sure this is known but at the end of the first quest, it wont let you place the TNT on the actual rocks)

Anyway where is the Foundry located?

Keep up the great work, for what its worth having played the game for the first time I thought that the balance and pacing is right on!!

Branm

Learned
I heard psi kinda sucks from the Steam forums a while back is that still true do you know?

Not if you understand how the abilities work and you're generally good at this type of game. My current build is combat-proficient in Guns, Traps and Thought Control (in that order) and my entire combat strategy is based on the cooperation of all combined uses of talent. And my character kicks ass.

I gotta agree here. My first character a Psyker and it works very well. You have access to plenty of stuns and lots of other crowd control abilities. Best Psi power imho a upgraded Telekynetic Punch. Also casting AoE Bilocation awesome lol

I do have to say it be nice for there to be more Psi powers...Seems there are only 11 in total. I haven't learned a new one for ages...Seems there are only the 3 original teachers in SGS and they never teach any new spells.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Question. When I find an oddity and "transfer it" to my inventory, is it consumed and the XP awarded at that time? That doesn't seem very clear. I went looking for them but they are not in my inventory.

There is a space above the UI which fills up with green bars in accordance to the amount of points each item is worth. It should be immediate (and also very clear).

You have to take a metro to get there. It's pretty far along and another quest which leads you to a different location will put you in a position to get there.

I do have to say it be nice for there to be more Psi powers...Seems there are only 11 in total. I haven't learned a new one for ages...Seems there are only the 3 original teachers in SGS and they never teach any new spells.

Agreed. This is one of the things I plan on bringing up in my 0.1.11.0 playthrough summary.

Branm

Learned

You have to take a metro to get there. It's pretty far along and another quest which leads you to a different location will put you in a position to get there.
Hmmm I just finished both the Rail Crossing quests. Which quest chain leads you there? I do have the foundry option at the metro but cant find any quests there

Last edited by a moderator:

Branm

Learned
I do have the foundry option at the metro but cant find any quests there

The fuck? I thought you said you couldn't find the Foundry??

P.S. if you're there and you haven't found any quests? EXPLORE BETTER.

The option to go to Metro must of been there since I cleared the tunnels after Junkyard, just didnt notice it before you mentioned that I could get there via the metro. Just tell me in which place the quest chain starts, I'm pretty sure I've been every where...I got all the way to the end of the mine but nothing I have can hurt "The Beast" thing at the end..

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Handholding:
There's a room in one of the residential areas with the mayor and his chief. There's also a woman named Evelynn (sp?) who you should talk to. Honestly, dude, you shouldn't need this help.

For nothing.
Why not for a number of keys to be distributed to poorfags of codex?

It's on steam for $10. Can't get more accessible or cheaper than that so that's not much reward for raising funds.

Now if there was a way to get Codexian content in for 10k and the dev wanted to do it, sure.
Fuck "Codexian Content". The whole damn game is Codexian Content. Let's just raise the money and not ask for anything in return (maybe some steam keys for those that don't have it yet).

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Hey guys, thanks for all the loving. :)

Just to clear something up - I never ran a Kickstarter or similar crowdfunding campaign partial due to being apprehensive and largely due to geographical problems. Instead I went with the early access/alpha funding model (first on Desura and GamersGate and then later on Steam) and am I ever glad I took this route. Though it didn't net me nearly as much money as a well promoted Kickstarter campaign would (especially during the KS craze) I find this model quite a bit healthier for the game's development and more honest in dealing with your playerbase, and it did enable me to continue the development full-time and even create a small team.

While more money never hurts :) I don't think I would be comfortable with received a bunch of money for nothing in particular, even if it comes from fans who are quite happy with the way the game is turning out. If you have money to spare and feel like supporting the game, you can always buy extra copies as some of you did (I might add some sort of "collector's edition" or something like that at some point for those who want to pay more).

Bitcher1

Cipher
i like your game, styg, like it a lot

copped a couple more copies on steam, pm your username if you want one
I'd pm you but I'm too :obviously: to beg for incline instead of dutifully paying for it.

KNOW THIS!!!

Also, why not go to GameTrailers or some other shithole where your copies my actually raise awareness of the game?

'cause i would like to give 'em to people who will actually enjoy the game, not play it once for 15 minutes before never touching it again

Wasteland 2
By giving them away on the codex, you're effectively generating lost sales for Styg ( defeat the point of earlier overpaying ).
I've overpaid and am an owner of multiple keys too, but I am responsible customer and keep them all to myself :obviously:

blamzooie

Educated
This runs perfectly through Steam on both my Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 boxes. For the guy who asked about Windows 8 comparability earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom