Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Forgot to mention that there are still a few exits that consistently give Zone Transition Failures. Assuming these weren't intentional, there are still places I haven't been able to explore.

I fixed some of those but not on all distribution platforms. If you still have these crashes after the new patch let me know.

Styg, would you maybe consider adding zoom at some point? Sometimes, I really want to see things just slightly bigger on my 24" 1920x1200 display. A x1.25 and a x1.5 zoom level would be so rad.

Sorry, no zooming. It looks crappy and there are also some technical issues.

Styg, how far is the main plot from being finished, would you say? For instance, could you give us a % of the main quest content and overall content in 0.1.10.0 Alpha over what you project to be the complete game?

I've just done everything that could be done in 0.1.10.0 Alpha and I'm just craving for more.

For what comes next, I would expect the game to pack the pace up a little bit after this and I would hope that this would be about 10-20% of the complete game. Do I expect too much?

After this update, there will be 3 more set of areas connected to the main quest.

Another request, though this might be a tough one: open doors to act as line of fire / LOS obstacles.

What? Why?

Styg, how far is the main plot from being finished, would you say? For instance, could you give us a % of the main quest content and overall content in 0.1.10.0 Alpha over what you project to be the complete game?

After this update, there will be 3 more set of areas connected to the main quest.

And after that? What I meant is how much more to go before you call it content-complete?

Another request, though this might be a tough one: open doors to act as line of fire / LOS obstacles.

What? Why?

Why? Tactical considerations? Doors, when closed, act as line of fire + LOS obstructions, so it only makes sense that they would continue to act as such in the direction they obstruct when open, so that when there is actually an open door between me and an opponent, neither of us can shoot at the other through it.

Last edited:
By the way, these two tiles seem to be bugged as you can not walk to or over them:

VcNmpwT.png

WH5UHzv.png

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Version 0.1.11.0 released

The new version is here. It took a bit longer to release than planned, but I think you guys will be pleased with the amount of content added. The game now features two more urban areas (one major and one minor) and lot more Lower Underrail and cave areas. We also reworked some of the starting quests to make the early difficulty curve smoother. For the full list of changes see the text below as well as two previous dev logs.

LargeFurnace.jpg

We will initially be releasing the new update only on Steam until the version stabilizes (we fix any glaring issues you guys find that we missed) after which we'll deploy it to other platforms as well. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this might cause to some, but it's just way too much overhead to deploy hotfixes on multiple platforms.

Aside from new areas and quests, we also added the following since the last dev log:
  • Item
    • Added new metal type for crafting
    • Added taser blueprint so electronics experts can protect themselves from hooligans and stalkers
  • Tweaks
    • Throwing nets made more useful now (no longer completely ineffective against opponents with decent or higher strength).
    • Carrier vests made more common as loot/merchandise.
    • Reduced the damage scaling of bilocation, neural overload, cryokinesis and electrokinesis. These abilities should be roughly the same power early game as they were before, but the idea is to prevent them from scaling out of control mid-late game. Also keep in mind that with all the buffs to psi-related feats they might end up even stronger than the last patch so further balancing might be required.
    • Completely most quests in oddity mode now grants some (usually small: 1-3) amount of XP. This should make completing quests feel more rewarding (especially those quests that don't involve exploration) without significantly affecting the XP balance in this mode.
  • Interface
    • Improved item management mechanics by adding sort button to containers and "transfer all" button to player inventory that can be used to transfer all the items to the currently opened container.
  • Bugs
    • Fixed the bug with certain secret monoliths not recognizing character's psi empathy
    • Increased the bear trap triggering radius so characters cannot pass in between two adjacent traps
We put a lot of effort in improving the narrative, quest hub area quality and game world cohesion, which I believe were up to this point the weaker aspects of the game. I hope you guys enjoy the update. Let us know what you think.

We will initially be releasing the new update only on Steam until the version stabilizes (we fix any glaring issues you guys find that we missed) after which we'll deploy it to other platforms as well. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this might cause to some, but it's just way too much overhead to deploy hotfixes on multiple platforms.

Any chance I can get a Steam key then? I've bought on GamersGate.

Increased the bear trap triggering radius so characters cannot pass in between two adjacent traps

If a character that can detect a trap and has good enough dexterity, shouldn't he be able to pass without triggering? Also, how about leaving some space for luck as well?

Last edited:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

Any chance I can get a Steam key then? I've bought on GamersGate.

Yeah. Select the game in your GamersGate library and the Steam code should be in the right panel.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I take it the release version is still quite a ways away, then? Itching to play but I'm allergic to Early Access.

It's pretty simple, man - Underrail's character system is so rich (and balanced! balance is what makes it rich), that you can easily go through the game 5 to 6 times, all with different builds, playstyles and gaming experiences. Sorta like fallouts 1&2, but better. And, given that in the current beta 1 playthrough takes what, 30 hours? I dunno - I've finished only the previous (now the pre-previous) one, where it was 20 hours per go, but with all the additions, it surely must be around 30 now, if not more. So, given that one playthrough of the beta will take more of your time than going through any time of modern and innuhvahshunul game, and that Underrail holds an insane potential of playability or replayability within it, there's no point to fret about spending 20 or 30 hours right now with it. Believe me, you'll just touch the tip of the iceberg, nothing more.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
  • Improved item management mechanics by adding sort button to containers and "transfer all" button to player inventory that can be used to transfer all the items to the currently opened container.

:bravo:

THANK YOU!

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
p.s.: Do you by any chance still plan to add some kind of world map? There was mention of something like a subway map for example. *cough*

Probably. I'm currently leaning towards something similar to that from Geneforge series.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Styg is there no way to implement a way for an exported/imported character to be able to skip all of the missions you've essentially already done? Some sort of console code which marks all quests from the previous update as being finished? That would be helpful if possible. As it stands the idea of slogging through all this shit I've done already (a couple times at that) is pretty unappealing. If not I guess I'll just cheer you on and wait until the final release!

Last edited:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Styg is there no way to implement a way for an exported/imported character to be able to skip all of the missions you've essentially already done? Some sort of console code which marks all quests from the previous update as being finished? That would be helpful if possible. As it stands the idea of slogging through all this shit I've done already (a couple times at that) is pretty unappealing. If not I guess I'll just cheer you on and wait until the final release!

It's not as simple as setting as flagging a quest as done, unfortunately. There are multiple variables (sometimes many) tied to the quest as well as map changes that need to trigger at certain points during the play-through. Regarding playing this particular update, though, you should be able to just load your old save and travel to the new areas and finish quests there without trouble. So in this particular case you wouldn't need to play from the beginning again.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Regarding playing this particular update, though, you should be able to just load your old save and travel to the new areas and finish quests there without trouble. So in this particular case you wouldn't need to play from the beginning again.

Fantastic news. Just don't...y'know...add the final update and make it render my save finally useless. ;)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I'm making a series of character building help videos at the moment and, since the update for underrail came recently and I'm totally in love with this game, I've decided to start with it:

I'm hardly the good talker, but if you want to teach someone a proper character building in underrail, this video should do the trick. I hope.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Hey Styg think I found a bug (unless you did something strange to mess with the game's difficulty) in this location:

These guys were getting their asses kicked by me as I was setting traps and running away and hiding around corners, but then they all returned to their "campfire" and had full health. This happened a few times until I finally beat them before they had a chance to "restart".

Either that or perhaps a compatibility issue as I did use my previous save? EDIT: LOL! I just loaded my save which was in this area but after having killed these three...and there they are again, magically alive!

Last edited:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
I'm making a series of character building help videos at the moment and, since the update for underrail came recently and I'm totally in love with this game, I've decided to start with it:

This is also very useful as feedback as well. Thanks.

Hey Styg think I found a bug (unless you did something strange to mess with the game's difficulty) in this location:

Most definitively a map bug. Will fix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom