Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

How unfortunate.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
cherry blossom Thanks for the suggestion, but I dismissed that solution a long while ago. The current solution where you can see usables and creatures through walls isn't perfect, but it's good enough.

TwinkieGorilla You have to beat the trap disarm check by 10 or something like that to recover the trap.

Regarding dialog and writing in general, it's something we'll be working on, so expect more interesting characters in the future. Also we'll be working towards interconnecting people and events from different parts of the game to make the game world more believable and cohesive.

Have you guys made up your mind regarding the map feature? will we have one or not?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Have you guys made up your mind regarding the map feature? will we have one or not?

I haven't decided yet. It would be a nice feature, but due to how the world map is laid out it is also something that would take quite a bit of development time to do right.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Just as long as you don't shove a quest compass in there. ;)

I was wandering around lower underrail looking for Blaine and just kept getting further and further away from where I started...and as soon as I was done being impressed with how large the area was I realized I was slightly lost, and boy has it been awhile since I've had that happen! P. awesome.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone remember that Styg announced the switch to turn-based on April 1, 2012? Here's hoping this whole game isn't an elaborate April Fool's joke.

Elthosian

Arcane

I haven't decided yet. It would be a nice feature, but due to how the world map is laid out it is also something that would take quite a bit of development time to do right.

Area maps would be more than enough IMO, just so you can know where does each transition lead to.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Area maps would be more than enough IMO, just so you can know where does each transition lead to.

Yeah, because...honestly, Styg ...I am at a complete loss as to where I'm supposed to be
planting this bomb for the Black Eels
(and not in a "hey, fun! I'm stumped!" kind of way, more like "yeah...this is a little annoying trying to tell the difference between all these places which tend to look exactly the same" kind of way).

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, because...honestly, Styg ...I am at a complete loss as to where I'm supposed to be
planting this bomb for the Black Eels
(and not in a "hey, fun! I'm stumped!" kind of way, more like "yeah...this is a little annoying trying to tell the difference between all these places which tend to look exactly the same" kind of way).

IIRC you reach it through the ventilation system in the Depot.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

A lot of Lower Underrail areas would have 2-4 transition leading to other Lower Underrail areas. How would that be helpful? :/

Elthosian

Arcane
A lot of Lower Underrail areas would have 2-4 transition leading to other Lower Underrail areas. How would that be helpful? :/

Well another option would be letting you switch between already visited maps through a list or by clicking on the transition spots (so you don't have to make a world map), kinda like in Vagrant Story, that way you could check where does every path from where you are lead to.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Spent around 2 hours with this game, like it a lot.

Shiiit, I've probably clocked that much time arranging my effin' inventory! Probably twice that amount crafting! I think you were right, Styg ...playing it with the oddities has definitely made me more apt to explore EVERYTHING and I'm already that type of rpg player. I've been finding entire maps (plural!) that I never noticed before. Though this of course may be because you've expanded them. All I know is I've got around 20 hours and I'm just now searching for Railroad Crossing.

P.S. Just made my first chemical gun (acid blob) last night. Fuck me I love this game.

:love:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had to postpone my playthrough regretfully nad I had just arrived at Railroad Crossing. Probably going to wait for full release to replay this greatness.

railway

Educated
So far I had plenty of fun with the game, best combat system in a game like this in recent years. Just started a new game with the current patch and the oddity-xp thing works surprisingly well, I like it.
Some random thoughts I had while playing:
1. Really wish there would be a way to run outside of combat, or maybe something like instant travel when double-clicking on a map transition as long as no enemies are nearby. I find myself travelling back and forth all the time to heal and sell stuff, which isn't bad at all but takes longer than it has to.

2. I wholeheartedly agree on the toggable walls proposal made earlier in this thread. It's easy to miss enemies in narrow hallways.

3. I like the latest changes to traders and the economy in general with its different currencies works quite well. Still, more information on the overall value of things on the buy & sell screen would make trading faster and more convenient.

4. Maybe I just fucked up character creation like the newfag I am but I had a very rough time around the starting area. Now I don't mind the challenging combat, I enjoy it a lot so far actually. Having to rely on hit-and-run tactics and being forced to retreat now and then to get myself healed is a positive and rather refreshing for a game made in the age of popamole.
My problem was the very first fight against rats just South of the starting station, though. I was attacked by four of them; I killed one and injured another by shooting once and then using the rest of my AP to run away as far as possible. After that I left the area to heal myself. Upon re-entering I was immediately circled by the three rats and in 4 of 5 cases killed or left bleeding to death before I could do anything. Basically all I could do was to reload until I survived the initial attack, shoot the alpha rat and flee. Rinse and repeat until it's dead. Again, maybe I just suck at the game but it seemed more like a matter of luck than a challenge.
It would have helped if enemies didn't lurk right on the entrance to an area or if the player would be spawned at the corresponding square to where the area was entered instead of the center.
All in all it's a minor issue, though. So far I haven't encountered a similiar situation after this one.

5. Is the compass actually useful for something or is North alaways at the same side of an area?

shadow9d9

Learned
Anyone know if a gog.com release or direct from publisher drm free release is planned? Desura seems to be kind of drm free, but I'm not too familiar.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Maybe I just fucked up character creation like the newfag I am but I had a very rough time around the starting area.

Not to sound flip just for the sake of it, but I'd honestly suggest trying harder. I haven't had anything like your experience in all of my play-throughs.

EDIT: Hey, Styg is this:

a Breaking Bad reference/easter egg?

Last edited:
Dem steam moneys. Well deserved by the way, i wish there was a 4-pack option though (buying it 7 times is a bit of a hassle), gotta show bros what a proper game should look like.

blamzooie

Educated
I just got killed by psi beetles. I ran at them and shots them, they didn't die, and then cryogenic blasted. This is the funnest game I've played in a long time.

Reminds me of that fallout-style game by an Aussie developer, I think it was called Omega Project?

This game is the harbinger of the incline. Tip of the incline spear.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
So, I finished up through what's available. Capped out at Level 13 using the oddity system after about 34 hours of gameplay. Of course I'm the sort of guy who slowly explores everything, spends hours on inventory management and crafting, plants traps and waits around for creatures and people to walk into them and tends to put the game on pause while wandering around the house doing other things so those Steam hours are probably a little less.

Styg do you have a rough estimate of how many more areas you are planning to include? Just curious about the scope of the game. If there are many more areas a little balance might need to be tweaked regarding leveling speed. I certainly didn't plan my character build very well at first yet was still pretty damn good and able throughout.

Random critiques (since I've been listing what I love along the way):
  • Some of the new assets look fairly out of place (trains, chairs, benches, etc). I'd assume they're made by one of the other new people and maybe you don't care...but compared to your wonderfully crafted pieces (that drill!!!) they tend to stick out like a sore thumb.
  • You've already mentioned adding more interesting NPCs and I'm hoping that comes with more quests per area. It was a little disheartening to get to Railroad Crossing and find that there were essentially two things to do there.
  • There really should be a vanishing wall like cherry blossom showed. There have been plenty times an enemy was behind a wall and I could neither see them nor target them. Do what you need to do with the game, but understand right now that it will be a pretty glaring flaw. FFS, he offered to help you for free.
  • Area maps would be nice, but if not, I suppose that wiki page will do.
  • You really, really, really need a text editor, dude. Please, Styg, stop avoiding this issue. This game is so close to perfection...don't let sub-par grammar, spelling and word usage drag it down. I'm not talking about taste here, there's actually a lot of wrong stuff that needs fixing.
Well that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Really fantastic stuff so far, regardless of my (mostly minor) complaints. If it's any consolation I'm planning on building a new, different character and doing some quests I didn't do last time rather than play the demo for Blackguards which your game has caused to look like shit in my eyes. You've spoiled me Styg. With or without fixes to the issues I brought up this really is the most fun I've had since FO2.

Cheers!

:excellent:

Last edited:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
4. Maybe I just fucked up character creation like the newfag I am but I had a very rough time around the starting area. Now I don't mind the challenging combat, I enjoy it a lot so far actually. Having to rely on hit-and-run tactics and being forced to retreat now and then to get myself healed is a positive and rather refreshing for a game made in the age of popamole.
My problem was the very first fight against rats just South of the starting station, though. I was attacked by four of them; I killed one and injured another by shooting once and then using the rest of my AP to run away as far as possible. After that I left the area to heal myself. Upon re-entering I was immediately circled by the three rats and in 4 of 5 cases killed or left bleeding to death before I could do anything. Basically all I could do was to reload until I survived the initial attack, shoot the alpha rat and flee. Rinse and repeat until it's dead. Again, maybe I just suck at the game but it seemed more like a matter of luck than a challenge.
It would have helped if enemies didn't lurk right on the entrance to an area or if the player would be spawned at the corresponding square to where the area was entered instead of the center.
All in all it's a minor issue, though. So far I haven't encountered a similiar situation after this one.

5. Is the compass actually useful for something or is North alaways at the same side of an area?

Did you fight in the Lower Underrail there? If so, those areas are a bit tough for a new character. The SGS outposts that you need to visit in the first quest shouldn't be so difficult since I've been toning down the early game difficulty steadily for a while now.

Compass always shows the same. It's just something to let people know where north is.

Dem steam moneys. Well deserved by the way, i wish there was a 4-pack option though (buying it 7 times is a bit of a hassle), gotta show bros what a proper game should look like.
Thanks for the support. I don't know about the 4-pack, I'd feel weird putting it on a single player game. :/

Random critiques (since I've been listing what I love along the way):
  • Some of the new assets look fairly out of place (trains, chairs, benches, etc). I'd assume they're made by one of the other new people and maybe you don't care...but compared to your wonderfully crafted pieces (that drill!!!) they tend to stick out like a sore thumb.
  • You've already mentioned adding more interesting NPCs and I'm hoping that comes with more quests per area. It was a little disheartening to get to Railroad Crossing and find that there were essentially two things to do there.
  • There really should be a vanishing wall like cherry blossom showed. There have been plenty times an enemy was behind a wall and I could neither see them nor target them. Do what you need to do with the game, but understand right now that it will be a pretty glaring flaw. FFS, he offered to help you for free.
  • Area maps would be nice, but if not, I suppose that wiki page will do.
  • You really, really, really need a text editor, dude. Please, Styg, stop avoiding this issue. This game is so close to perfection...don't let sub-par grammar, spelling and word usage drag it down. I'm not talking about taste here, there's actually a lot of wrong stuff that needs fixing.

- Yes, some of the new assets have been done by a different artist. I think most of them fit well, though. Btw, Mark, the 3d artist that does the characters, did the dirll, not me. :)
- We're adding more stuff there in the next update.
- You should always be able to target creatures when they're behind the wall. They will also be shown through it while you're in combat.
- I don't know if area map would be of much use since you can just scroll and see the map easily.
- We're fixing wrong stuff as we go.

Anyone know if a gog.com release or direct from publisher drm free release is planned? Desura seems to be kind of drm free, but I'm not too familiar.

You can download a stand-alone installer when you purchase from Desura.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom