Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #48: Veteran Levels

Shadenuat

Arcane
I still can't get my head around setting based on subway stations but without any sort of maps which should, uh, just hang on train doors (and people would probably draw various things on top of those, from dicks to memos to crude cave maps)

himmy

Arcane
Some premium feats that are still missing:
  • Cartographer: you can reveal a map of each location you explore.
  • Genocide: the enemies you kill don’t respawn anymore.
  • Teleport: use your psionic abilities to teleport yourself to a known location.
  • Zero tolerance for MMO mechanics: remove all the cool-downs.
  • No more trinkets, please: cointainers only have weapons and armors or are impossible to unlock.
You are welcome, Styg.

lol people are actually complaining about the lack of map and fast-travel, this place is going downhill fast.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Teleport: use your psionic abilities to teleport yourself to a known location.
  • No more trinkets, please: cointainers only have weapons and armors or are impossible to unlock.
You are welcome, Styg.

lol people are actually complaining about the lack of map and fast-travel, this place is going downhill fast.

Cause grinding past the same 1000 encounters back and forth when backtracking like in a JRPG is really highbrow. :M

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Commie, dumbfuck as ever.

You can make a map yourself to avoid the respawn areas. Some are not avoidable I guess, but that's got nothing to do with having a map or not, that's just bad, but dumbfucks make it sound worse than it is.

Dumfucks gonna dumbfuck.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You can make a map yourself to avoid the respawn areas. Some are not avoidable I guess, but that's got nothing to do with having a map or not, that's just bad, but dumbfucks make it sound worse than it is.

Dumfucks gonna dumbfuck.

Who mentioned a map faggot? I only mentioned the grinding and lack of fast travel. Why even need to map respawning areas. If there was fast travel would avoid poinless busy work to extend time. Redding is teh hard.

For sexless loner retards I understand that time is no problem and you can spend 20 hours a day on a game but normal people try to avoid pointless grinding and moving back and forth through areas at a snails pace.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Dumfucks gonna dumbfuck.

Who mentioned a map faggot? I only mentioned the grinding and lack of fast travel. Redding is teh hard.

You replied to a post which mentioned a map, dumbfuck.

Also grinding is only in your head.

And if you need fast-travel to play a game, perhaps you should stick to Oblibian and Age of Teleporting.

Tigranes

Arcane
Veteran level switch sounds great, the revealed feats sound super shit banal boring. Come on. Major Supplier? Might as well get a perk spawning goodberries in your pack. Hopefully there are going to be veteran feats that qualitatively change your game (fight response sort of does).

Aenra

Lurker King marux

i want you to think real hard and decide for yourselves whether you're:
i) morons
ii) the kind of people that lacking arguments or facts, resort to distorting another person's view, because insert:personal complex

I personally favour the morons part, but read my comment again. Skip the projecting (that entails YOUR subjective views, which are accepted, but NOT a part of MY statement) that you did on it, read only what i wrote. And then read your replies again. If you still think your comments hold, or more to the point, that they have a bearing on what i originally meant, then we may at least happily agree you're both idiots. Which you are, but anyway.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I still can't get my head around setting based on subway stations but without any sort of maps which should, uh, just hang on train doors (and people would probably draw various things on top of those, from dicks to memos to crude cave maps)
Would make sense yeah. But if we had "you are here" style maps and hand drawn stuff people would still ask for a more pinpointish map because they don't understand getting lost in the tunnels is a feature.

Anyway you don't need a map for this game, just use your brian to memorize a few landmarks.

Dumfucks gonna dumbfuck.

Who mentioned a map faggot? I only mentioned the grinding and lack of fast travel. Why even need to map respawning areas. If there was fast travel would avoid poinless busy work to extend time. Redding is teh hard.

For sexless loner retards I understand that time is no problem and you can spend 20 hours a day on a game but normal people try to avoid pointless grinding and moving back and forth through areas at a snails pace.
Underrail has Fast Travel in the form of train rides to every major settlement.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Anyway you don't need a map for this game, just use your brain to memorize a few landmarks.

Of course, in a sense you don’t actually need it. There are many things you don’t ultimately need. You don’t need the ability to run, a quest journal or the ability to talk with a filler NPC. In fact, you don’t need even graphics, because cRPGs can be made on pure text. This discussion is not about necessity, is about what elements can provide the best experience for a cRPG player. I bet that you can get by without toilet paper, but that doesn’t make it a good idea.

Underrail has Fast Travel in the form of train rides to every major settlement.

No. Usually, you have to cross three or four screens before you can board the train.

Veteran level switch sounds great, the revealed feats sound super shit banal boring.

Do you remember those underwhelming spells and skills on PoE? All that talk about percentages increase and stuff? These feats are like that, look:

Improved Dodging - Increases the chance you'll dodge a melee attack by 5% (additive)

It seems he was profoundly influenced by sawyertardism.

I hope the rest of the expansion is not uninspired as these feats.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are the game's other feats really that different, or are people just upset because they expect more from something labelled "Veteran"?

Heretic

Cipher
Are the game's other feats really that different, or are people just upset because they expect more from something labelled "Veteran"?
You haven't played it yet?!
Anyway, there are quite a lot of feats that grant you a completely new action, or at least open up a new strategic opportunity:
Aimed Shot - a guaranteed critical hit every 4 turns
Heavy Punch - what it says
Sprint - Gain extra movement points for 2 turns
Hit and Run - 25 movement points after each kill
Execute - A close range special pistol attack against incapacitated targets
Sure Step - Safely navigate caltrops (your own traps) and acid puddles
Thick Skull - Stun immunity
Etc.

There are various percentage feats, too, some of them quite useful. But I would also like something that adds to your repertoire instead of just a percentage here or there.

Tigranes

Arcane
Of course there are boring feats, but what you want is a way to build your character such that you're able to take something that qualitatively changes your gameplay every few levels, even if it's merely the addition of an aimed shot. And within that context, that next level and the 5% extra crit chance can be more exciting. It's discouraging for Styg to promote sevearl feats, all of which are filler, instead of telling us about anything more substantial.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm afraid I really burned myself out on Deep Caverns. A problem that I ran into, was when I had to take a break
from playing for several days, to recount my steps, remember where I'd been, in which configuration I left switches.
Sure, I could have made notes on all that stuff, but I still would have wished for a possibility of annotations in-game.
Even with notes Deep Caverns more felt like a chore to me, than a place I enjoyed exploring.

I remember having a better time, drawing maps for Mangar's Tower in Bard's Tale I.
And that was a nightmare with the fucking spinning, anti-magic and darknass squares.
But maybe I've just grown old and don't have the time for some stuff anymore.
I sunk about a hundred hours in Underrail and my positive review on steam stands,
but I don't know if I will revisit again any time soon.

As for maps as sign of decline. Does that mean the decline started
with the barebones, reset after the session, auto-map of Bard's Tale III?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Reading that update, you can select non-veteran perks every level if you want. That might be more of a game changer than the veteran ones.

marux

Augur
I would be too if I didn’t have to kill another one hundred thousand Rathounds and examining one million garbage cans like a homeless.
just wear rat armor you get from ratking. every other respawning mob (scorpion things, psy-bugs) is not a problem, because you only travel through those areas once or twice.
i don't really know about garbage can searching since i didn't play with oddity-system, but standard xp.

By the logic, we will have to say that swords are MMO elements, since most MMOs have them. Maps have been in CRPGs since ancient times and there is a good reason for that: they make the exploration of the game world more enjoyable and, if the game is sufficiently complex, more manageable.
cooldowns have been first introduced in 1989, rng is in pretty much every game, yeah we could call everything mmo.

(also as an answer to Aenra)
concerning my comment on maps. this just seems to be a very subjective topic and it has been discussed thoroughly in the main underrail thread. to me not having a map added a nice feeling of exploration and i enjoyed finding my way around the underrail.
as styg said, it's not his intention to implement automapping or a map. so people could just use maps made by the community instead of asking for this feature in-game.

very easy to use map: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/complete-underrail-map.107263/
not so practical, but very detailed and fun map: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/underrail-3d-map.107563/

also Excidium II said everything that needs to be said about maps.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
[To avoid rathounds and respawn] just wear rat armor you get from ratking. every other respawning mob (scorpion things, psy-bugs) is not a problem, because you only travel through those areas once or twice.

You just told me to do a bunch of shenanigans in order to avoid a basic feature of the gameplay.

cooldowns have been first introduced in 1989, yeah we could call everything mmo.

In case you haven't noticed, saying that something is a MMO thing is not a descriptive term, but a derogatory term, like a euphemism for retarded mechanic.

concerning my comment on maps. this just seems to be a very subjective topic and it has been discussed thoroughly in the main underrail thread.

That is like saying that the absence of windshield in a new car is a very subjective thing.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You are welcome, Styg.
I could somehow agree with first two "feats", MAYBE even with third, but 4 and 5 are just plain dumb sorry.

examining one million garbage cans like a homeless.
But nobody forced you to do it. Walk along citizen.

Actually I discouraged by a such icy welcome of new addon. You could at least try to show(?) more trust in Styg, I understood it is all Autumn and all, but at least Expedition in testing stage...

Also don't you think that there are no game-changing feats because all of them were actually added in game, and nothing was hold and nothing left in reserve?
Underrail is a game without tons of marketing bullshit, nobody cut anything just to "present it for free" later.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
The expansion remains D1P, but a shitty update with unpromising teasers is what it is. It's to Styg's credit that one such update doesn't really affect my buying decision at all, whereas with Tyranny or WL3 it just adds to existing sense of dread.

Really? Oh noes, we should cut shitty xpack features slack because that shows they blew all their juice in the original game? That's mental acrobatics as astounding as any defence of holding back content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom