Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Naraya

Arcane
Thanks, downloading it now. I'm obviously retarded.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Thanks, downloading it now. I'm obviously retarded.
But isnt the demo a rather old build that lacks a lot of cool stuff?

I mean, it will still give you a good impression of what this game is about and how it plays, its just that I love the game so much that I would prefer that people could experience it in the best possible state so they can be persuaded to buy it.

Sykar

Arcane
You can buy the game for a mere 7 bucks on Steam. I do not understand why you would need a demo for such a cheap game. Plent of gameplay videos in YT available as well in addition to this thread.

Naraya

Arcane
Even though the demo is probably outdated (it says 'early alpha'), game looks solid and very interesting. I'll most likely buy it once it out of EA. Don't get me wrong, it's not about the monies - I just have big enough backlog already... Wishlisted for now.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A demo just harms sales and unless its constantly updated shows the game in a lesser light by being an earlier build. The best demo is 86 pages of endless praise for the game.

epeli

Arcane
No no no. It's always good to have a playable demo so you can see for yourself how the actual gameplay feels like. A demo also lets you test whether the game even works on your system without pirating it. The demo is terribly outdated (2012!) but it's still plenty enough to leave you craving for more. Besides, scene releases of Underrail aren't up-to-date either. :P

If there was no demo, I probably wouldn't have bought the alpha version back in early 2013. And with a long development cycle like this, I would already have forgotten about Underrail. Hell, if not for the demo, I might miss its eventual release as well (unless it gets all the praise and publicity it deserves)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A demo just harms sales and unless its constantly updated shows the game in a lesser light by being an earlier build. The best demo is 86 pages of endless praise for the game.

Demo has traditionally been a slice of a finished game. In that regard you're wrong and demo is a good thing.

Recently however "a demo" is basically Early Acces which is a terrible thing indeed. Here you're abolutely right. EA gives you a sneak peak into an incomplete product. You get to taste the potato cake when it's still raw. I'm absolutely positive EA has mutilated the first impressions of many a game. I'd even explain what I mean if I wasnt' so drunk.

Point is I've bough the game.

Black

Arcane
Well yeah, obviously demo of a shit game would hurt its sales. There's a reason AAA games don't have them.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone want to share their builds? I just did a mockup psychic. 10 will, 8 int. No weapon skills. Biology, persuasion, hacking. I died to some crazy guy with a gun. The game seems fun so far, I've been leery about exploring it extensively for fear of spoiling myself. I don't yet have a sense of what stats to dump for each build.

Ellef

Deplorable
Does the game even have any trap builds? Last i recall all the options were pretty balanced. You shouldn't need to do any huge min maxing.

Sykar

Arcane
Ha, I knew that was the wrong word in a game like this. I meant trap builds as in builds that tricked you into having a shit character.

Mh not sure actually. Depends probably if you play Ironman type of game or not. If not, I do not really think so, but well thought out builds with good synergies between skills and feats will lead to much less reloading and smoother gameplay. Badly constructed builds should still manage but with a lot more difficulties. Imho Underrail needs you to really read the descriptions of feats and skills thoroughly. Luckily all feats can be viewed ingame in the main character screen if you click on the option down left.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does the game even have any trap builds? Last i recall all the options were pretty balanced. You shouldn't need to do any huge min maxing.
If you try to invest in too many skills you'll suck. If you focus you should be able to get through, though working out some synergies (many of which are p obvious) will make better characters.

Ellef

Deplorable
Right, all the obvious synergies work out pretty well in my limited experience so it's all good. Investing a little bit in all skills is more stupidity than a newb trap. Excessive balance gets a bad rap but the more concept builds that work the better.

Sykar

Arcane
If you try to invest in too many skills you'll suck. If you focus you should be able to get through, though working out some synergies (many of which are p obvious) will make better characters.

Not entirely true. I made a fairly decent build with 12 skills. Some skills like Stealth for example can be absurdly boosted by gear. Same goes for Intimidation. Some things can be achieved with relatively low investment as well. If you are only interested in making your own Health Stims then you can keep Biology at 25. If you only want to use traps but not make them, many can be used at 10 or 25 skill.
Lockpicking and Hacking are purely optional and depending on how much you want to open mechanical and electronic locks you can keep those also at a relatively average level and still have decent effectiveness. Thanks to boni from items these can also be boosted quite a bit.
A stealthy character can keep Evasion and Dodge relatively low if he opts to use Uncanny Dodge and Evasive Maneuvers feats, the latter which is highly effective in conjunction with Sprint feat.

What you need is a core of maybe 3-4 skills at max and about 3-6 feats with a clear idea what and how you want to cover offense and defense and stick to that consequently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom