Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
But it has come to my attention that in this singleplayer game, the player can make multiple character builds - some of which are not equivalent in effectiveness to others!
:balance:

epeli

Arcane
Bitching about how devs don't listen because they actually know to only pick up the good suggestions? Lovely, just as expected from the Steam crowd.

I also find it hilarious how some stupid scrubs well-informed and skillful players just keep going on how crafting is useless, despite the fact that it has always been good. Right now it's at the point where it's nigh mandatory for some builds and only a moron would completely skip it. Styg definitely listened to the Elhaz crowd. They got what they wanted with crafting, even though they do not yet realize it. Thankfully, this is not a bad thing. It just makes high-end crafting more accessible to everyone while dedicated crafters save skillpoints on crafting and get even stronger crafted stuff with feats.

Tthe balance whine is another funny thing that's easy to see through when you've been tinkering with the game for as long as I've been. That always comes from players who have tried one or a few builds and don't grasp the game mechanics all that well. They also seem to miss the general idea that sneaky ninjas and heavy tanks are for completely different playstyles.
Underrail won't ever have sawyerist balance simply because HOLY SHIT DIFFERENT BUILDS ACTUALLY HAVE DIFFERENT STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES???!!11

In general, most reviewers (whether positive or negative) just don't know what they're talking about. The re-preview by Blaine is one of the few exceptions.

Sheepherder

Augur
My only gripe with Underrail is that I levelup way too fast and hit the level cap halfway through the currently available content. Level 11/12 right before Depot A.
Cut down oddity XP by a lot.

Sykar

Arcane
My only gripe with Underrail is that I levelup way too fast and hit the level cap halfway through the currently available content. Level 11/12 right before Depot A.
Cut down oddity XP by a lot.

That is true. I hope they will tune it a bit more until release. Although keep in mind that already around Hathor and on the way to Core City you encounter up to level 15 enemies. It can be challenging to fight them at level 12 depending on your build and if they get the jump on you, but they won't be much fun if you are like let's say level 6.
Certain doors in Depot A for example need Lockpicking 75. Even with synergies and the knife from that raider leader you'll be hard pressed to open those doors.

Balance is always a fine line.

summerloud

Novice
This game is better than all those disappointing Kickstarters.

Can someone tell me how they min/maxed their stealthy sniper please?

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't really remember, but I guess starting up the game and looking up what stealth and sniper related feats need as basic requirements should already give you a good hint.
Perception 10 is a must I guess but agility... 7 or 8? And don't use intelligence as a dump stat if you wanna craft stuff (hint: believe me, you want).

Sykar

Arcane

Keep Stealth and Guns high, Perception to 10, get Interloper, Snipe, Aimed Shot, Sharpshooter and Sprint and you have a good basis. Then it depends how you want to support this core. Crafting, PSI, Traps, Grenades, etc. Plenty of options available.

ST'Ranger

Augur

10 Agility
10 Perception
5 Strength (this is a requirement on many sniper rifles)
6 Some Other Stat (I like Intelligence for crafting, but Constitution is fine too)

Guns
Crossbows (at least early on in the game)
Dodge
Evasion
Stealth
Hacking
Lockpicking

There are 15 points left over for one other skill or to half-ass two skills. Mechanics is a good choice in the long run for crafting requirements for sniper rifles, but is very much not necessary in the first few levels.

For talents, I would 100% take Aimed Shot since you're going to get use of it right away. You have several options for your second talent, but I like taking Nimble. You're eventually gunning for Ambush and Sharpshooter, with your other talents focusing on survivability or movement.

Keep in mind, this is only one particular way to do a stealthy sniper character. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Sykar

Arcane
I would not put points into Crossbows tbh. Rather just use pistols with high damage and smgs until they are available, which does not take long usually. I get mine either directly in GMS compound or after I am done there.

You faggots that are getting the game for free...

You better pay that shit forward. Buy it for someone else to achieve karmic balance.

buzz

Arcane
Actually it would be cool to gift it randomly on some other websites, like on Obsidian forums or maybe some the CRPG subreddit. I might do that myself ...

Norfleet

Bitching about how devs don't listen because they actually know to only pick up the good suggestions? Lovely, just as expected from the Steam crowd.
Well, it's easy to say th devs don't listen if they don't respond. That's why you have to tear their ideas apart and throw them in pieces at their feet. Then they can't say you didn't listen!

polo

Magister
I can't carry all i want because of weights!
I can't sell everything to the same vendor!
I'm too rich anyways!
Whine!

Because fuck logic.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom