Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sykar

Arcane
Dayum. I had all my characters on hold to test out the big changes to PSI. Can't wait for next monday.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Styg Any chance of giving steam users a non DRM version of the game? i cant play mine at work because i cant install steam... :argh:

There's no DRM. You probably just need to install XNA 4.0 Refersh redist if you don't have Steam to do that for you.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Sweet & juicy game but I'll wait for the game map of any kind. It's lame to confess, but during my first and only playthrough I was constantly getting lost.

Last edited:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
So this will be the last EA update, correct? How long after the final version, roughly speaking?

Yes, this will be the last EA update. I ain't giving a release date, though, sorry. I have a terrible track record with that. But basically we have one more update after this which is practically a huge multi-section dungeon and then we will take some time to polish the game and rework some old areas that look and feel outdated.

Loriac

Arcane
Psi is being changed quite significantly per the developer notes - will the beta testing of these changes be rolled up into the pre-release work? I'm just wondering what happens if the psi changes need to be tweaked for game balance prior to game launch - would you release this as a 'hotfix' type thing so that they get fully ironed out? Are the Underrail forums going to be the best place to provide any feedback on those changes, or will here do as well?

I haven't picked up Underrail in a long time, was waiting for release, but I'm tempted to try out the changes next Monday specifically to see how psi users have been rebalanced.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
But basically we have one more update after this which is practically a huge multi-section dungeon

1353380198_south-park-i-just-came-500x375.jpg

covr

Prophet
Patron
I thought in your day you called it exploration, old-timer.

Yeah, it's exploration, but sometimes it was unpleasant and confusing. Lots of small areas with multiple entrances and exits which lead to another set of small areas...etc. And I was under impression that they are not logically connected to themselves. Well, just look at those maps http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Zones - it won't be easy to create in-game, visually clear map.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Psi is being changed quite significantly per the developer notes - will the beta testing of these changes be rolled up into the pre-release work? I'm just wondering what happens if the psi changes need to be tweaked for game balance prior to game launch - would you release this as a 'hotfix' type thing so that they get fully ironed out? Are the Underrail forums going to be the best place to provide any feedback on those changes, or will here do as well?

I haven't picked up Underrail in a long time, was waiting for release, but I'm tempted to try out the changes next Monday specifically to see how psi users have been rebalanced.

We'll probably release a few hotfixes after this update but mostly to fix any glaring bugs and unlikely for any balance changes. So most of the feedback after that will not be reflected in the alpha version, but will go into the final version.

Once we get all the content in and polish up the game we'll have a (likely closed) beta testing phase in which we'll focus on crushing bugs and tweaking the balance further.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Styg - will the game be completable following the mega-dungeon update? Or will there be some final hub/epilogue that isn't available until release?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Styg - will the game be completable following the mega-dungeon update? Or will there be some final hub/epilogue that isn't available until release?

There will be no mega-dungeon update, this is the last one. The dungeon will come with the full release.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Sorry, I re-read what I wrote previously about it being an update. I lied unintentionally. See, this is why I don't talk about release dates. I lie subconsciously.

epeli

Arcane

Yeah, it's exploration, but sometimes it was unpleasant and confusing. Lots of small areas with multiple entrances and exits which lead to another set of small areas...etc. And I was under impression that they are not logically connected to themselves. Well, just look at those maps http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Zones - it won't be easy to create in-game, visually clear map.

Yeah, it's going to be a real challenge to make a detailed and clear 2D map. I guess that's why Styg's stance on map has been "maybe" for as long as I can remember. It's going to be hard to do it properly. I started those maps as a simple way to keep track of all the new zones, but I hope they give a general idea of the shape of Underrail.

By the way, you can find a 3D map of South Underrail in-game:
wOhrOZR.png

Not terribly useful at that size and it seems incomplete, with only major or geopolitically important routes visible. Still, the general shape of Underrail is recognizable. The red layer is Upper Underrail, blue is Lower Underrail and orange are the caves (or maybe underpassages, I'm not entirely sure). Core City is very prominent and another elevator shaft (possibly at Epione Lab or Tchortist institute) is also easy to spot. Curiously, there seems to be a third connection between Upper and Lower Underrail in the northeast (probably at Nyx Station) which I haven't found.

Sykar

Arcane

Yeah, it's going to be a real challenge to make a detailed and clear 2D map. I guess that's why Styg's stance on map has been "maybe" for as long as I can remember. It's going to be hard to do it properly. I started those maps as a simple way to keep track of all the new zones, but I hope they give a general idea of the shape of Underrail.

By the way, you can find a 3D map of South Underrail in-game:
wOhrOZR.png

Not terribly useful at that size and it seems incomplete, with only major or geopolitically important routes visible. Still, the general shape of Underrail is recognizable. The red layer is Upper Underrail, blue is Lower Underrail and orange are the caves (or maybe underpassages, I'm not entirely sure). Core City is very prominent and another elevator shaft (possibly at Epione Lab or Tchortist institute) is also easy to spot. Curiously, there seems to be a third connection between Upper and Lower Underrail in the northeast (probably at Nyx Station) which I haven't found.

I love it already. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom