Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Well, why not just call Styg here and ask him for clarifications?

Is there a sort of a map/minimap planned?

I believe you said that there is going to be one in the final release, but seeing all those people claiming otherwise Im confused now.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
As long as the $5 minimap DLC comes with an achievement and a hat for Team Fortress 2, I'm down.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

I believe you said that there is going to be one in the final release, but seeing all those people claiming otherwise Im confused now.

Minimap no, but I'm considering implementing some sort of world map (or maps) in the final release.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Minimap no, but I'm considering implementing some sort of world map (or maps) in the final release.
Yes please, world map would be very sufficient. Preferably it should need to be bought or crafted or something.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd also prefer a world map to a minimap. The minimap can often be exploited or break immersion. At the ver least - a GPS-style map underground would also be very unrealistic.

da_rays

Augur
I'd be happy with worldmap too , just something to show where you are approximativaly would be more than enough. unlocking ''map piece'' when you arrive in a new big location. +1 for the idea on working for getting your hand on that map, which maybe crafting , relation with X NPC/faction or even stealing. Lots of possibility~

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Thanks Styg ! I prefer some sort of world map too. The sector/areas in underrail are relatively small and easy to understand and minimap is not really needed.

agris

Arcane
Patron
If a man can dream, how about a fallout-style worldmap where locations are revealed as you discover or are told of them? On top of that, we could have a coarse-resolution styilized "level" map (again, think Fallout, not a minimap).

latest
Throw in the fucking kitchen sink and have an energy-sucking motion tracker the player can carry to render red dots where lifeforms are moving, with the dot size proportional to lifeform size!

torpid

Liturgist
I'd be fine with a lack of in game map if the area transitions were more logical, but they don't seem to be laid out on a grid, and many area transitions move you quite a bit if you do a loop.

Yeah, that made my inner autist rage: "but, but, turn left, left again, then another left, left once more -- I should be back where I started!1!" Since you're in a cave network, I rationalize it as changing depth.

+1 for the world map not being available outright. Maybe you'd get a basic map of the starting areas in SGS, and then you'd have to find/barter for/craft the rest.

Whiran

Magister
Count me in for the no mini-map but yes world map crowd.

Area maps would be nice as well if they are not included in the world map.

Nael

Arcane
I think a stylized map showing the Underrail system would be sufficient and leave out areas that would have been newly formed from tectonics and tunneling by certain factions unknown to the PC at the beginning. Maybe allow them to be unlocked by finding actual physical maps?

'Murshun!

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Eh, getting lost should be in searching for quest solutions which are intentionally vague, not because of a complete lack of maps.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Games don't suffer for having maps (we're not talking about mini maps) just because you can draw them. Just have them original fallout style where they are only revealed as you find out about them in some way.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Just have an overmap so I know that to get back to town from wherever I'm at, I need to transition North, North, West, North, West, West, South, West

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Add to that the fact many people have limited time they can spend for gaming and I'd rather spend it playing, not drawing maps when the game can draw it for me - it's not like it adds quest markers or something, just removes unnecessary tedium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom