Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sykar

Arcane
Ulminati why don't you just use a lower resolution? There's your hipster indie mode. Tiny screens with such absurdly high DPI are a relatively new thing, that's why you'll find plenty of software (especially on linux) with no DPI scaling.

Not like the graphics matter much in this game, albeit some are really nice.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is what 1920x1080 looks like with largest everything activated for me (except for the window borders, but somehow the game doesn't let me take screenshots with PrtSC in fullscreen):

79amIOH.jpg

I think the icons are still too small for that resolution but the text is readable on my TV screen. Huge improvement to previous versions. And I prefer to play in 1600x900 anyway, because it's more zoomed in and lets me get more in touch with my little toy soldier. :codexisfor:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah. The supersize text is readable (but small) on 1920x1080 13.3". Icons are extremely squintworthy. I guess I'm going 960x540 if I want to see them on my laptop

:badnews:

epeli

Arcane
At this point most of the remaining things Underrail could've done better are due to early design decisions, cemented long before Styg even dreamt of Steam Early Access jewgolds. :P

Like the UI scaling stuff.
I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that all of the game's icons are only 33x33px. There's over 800 of them and some have surprisingly complex layered variable transparency. (A detail you really can't appreciate without working with the game files. They could've skipped all that and no one would notice the difference because the icons are so damn small!) Redoing all the icons isn't going to happen, but they could look pretty good with 2xSaI and that would allow the entire UI to be scaled between normal/large (2x). Of course that would also be lot of work to implement...

Another thing limiting UI scaling is the main font, I think. It looks like ass at anything but the few sizes its designed for. Inconsistent line widths, gaps inside glyphs, jagged diagonal lines. Any typeface aficionados on Codex?

I guess I'm going 960x540 if I want to see them on my laptop
Why so low? It doesn't have to be 2:1. Modern LCD monitors can handle scaling pretty well, especially if they have high pixel density like yours. Try 1366x768 or 1280x720, should have good DPI for that screen size. I use 1280x800 on my 12" netbook.

epeli

Arcane
Am I seriously the only one who thinks 1600x900 is the optimal resolution for this game?!
What are you? Some newfangled mainstream cunt? 640x480 is the way to go!

Underrail doesn't support 640x480 :( styg pls fix.

OH WAIT. Actually it does!
You just have to use a third party tool to forcibly resize it. :lol: (didnt work on win7 for some reason)
NfNlBkU.png

It even runs on 320x240! :lol:
GdICnIr.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The 640x480 doesn't look half bad actually. Gives me hope for my 960x540 laptop playthrough. :incline:

epeli

Arcane
Oh man, alt-tabbing ruined it. :(
bT9ivSE.png

Ulminati in all seriousness just try it at 1366x768. It would look something like this (minus jpg artifacts) with gpu/monitor scaling it up to 1920x1080:
FLsLcgF.jpg

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought about that right after I posted but was too *shrugs shoulders* to clarify. I'm running a 1920x1080 23" which I assumed (probably very incorrectly) was pretty standard for gamers. Christ, I've had this monitor for like 4-5 years at least.

polo

Magister
I thought about that right after I posted but was too *shrugs shoulders* to clarify. I'm running a 1920x1080 23" which I assumed (probably very incorrectly) was pretty standard for gamers. Christ, I've had this monitor for like 4-5 years at least.
Me too, but i play Underrail in my laptop, not in my desktop.
Anyways, i don't remember having problem with text size or anything... i think.

da_rays

Augur
Just a quick post to say thnx to epeli for replying to me , and also a big thnx for Mister Amole II for that very nicely done explanation.

Also Oddity is great , im gonna have trouble getting back to a standard xp system now...

I just restarted tho.....any one got comments on oddity system farther in the game?

At Least past junkyard....

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Just a quick post to say thnx to epeli for replying to me , and also a big thnx for Mister Amole II for that very nicely done explanation.

Also Oddity is great , im gonna have trouble getting back to a standard xp system now...

I just restarted tho.....any one got comments on oddity system farther in the game?

At Least past junkyard....

I haven't played since Styg apparently tweaked the XP system but as long as you are a completionist/explorer type player then the Oddity system never really slows down. If anything it starts to ramp up after a slight lull following the intro.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For resolution, if your native is 1920x1080 like mine, you should try 1366x768. It works very good for me, no blurry text and objects are big enough to discern. I also play the IE games in that resolution with good results.

Something I'd really appreciate is a brightness slider in the video options.

And of course, the game is fucking great. I thought no one made them like this anymore, but there it is. :)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I started playing this recently. Got to the old junkyard and everything is kicking my ass.

I think I made a "wrong" character build. I invested lots into electronics to make some sweet energy shields and cloaking fields, but I can't find the proper parts. At least I got a tazer though. Also invested into mechanics and chemistry to make that stuff, but making weapons doesn't seem that good so far, and my throwing is too bad to actaully hit with any grenades I make.

It's a cool game, but I'm not really a fan of the quality scaled gear. And I wish there was an in game map of some kind.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, the in-game map is the one convenience Underrail lacks. Which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to move between countries and so tend to leave my hand-written notes behind!

I believe I suggested implementing an in-game map to Styg last year already, but I guess this isn't particularly high on his to-do list.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yeah, the in-game map is the one convenience Underrail lacks. Which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to move between countries and so tend to leave my hand-written notes behind!

I believe I suggested implementing an in-game map to Styg last year already, but I guess this isn't particularly high on his to-do list.

I dont think he wants to implement one at all, just not part of his vision for the game i guess. I've been asking for one for ages now.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I dont think he wants to implement one at all, just not part of his vision for the game i guess. I've been asking for one for ages now.
I'd be fine with a lack of in game map if the area transitions were more logical, but they don't seem to be laid out on a grid, and many area transitions move you quite a bit if you do a loop.

I'm actually looking up the map on the wiki from time to time, but its not very useful because I am bad at cartogrophy apparently.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Damn! Not having a minimap is just plain stupid! It just means wasting more time on the internet looking for directions. Not cool man, not cool at all :(.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom