Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Welp. Decided I'd give this a proper try rather than wait for 1.0. nothing special in the build. Max perception, high agility/dex, avg con, rest dumped. (In hindsight, I shouldn't have dumped str). Grabbed feats for pistols (aimed shot, gunslinger, the one that makes you pew harder when focused, arrow to the knee) and maxed guns + stealth + lockpicking + dodge/evasion. Just finished the junkyard part and the game crashed during the cutscene when you turn the doodad in.

Anyway it's 2AM and WHERE THE FUCK DID MY ENTIRE EVENING GO!? This stuff is crack cocaine, just like I feared. :incline:

If only I didn't have work in the morning I'd be crawling through ducts and popping out to spray SMG fire at point blank all night.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is a huge fucking pool table. The sticks are larger than the people.

Also, the flammable gas cylinders are ~ 7ft tall. You couldn't work the regulator on the top of them!

It's science fiction, not reality. "What if we lived in a dystopian future in which the pool tables were much larger?" is a perfectly valid story hook.

Maybe it's not that the pool tables are larger, but instead the people are smaller!

The game looks great. The graphical style is beautiful. I wanted to point out though, for some reason, that I think I know why the pool table looks off:
There is no shadow under it. This is what gives it that "floating at chest height" look.
I notice also that there are no shadows under any of the objects except the people. However, those items are typically smaller so perhaps the floating feel is less pronounced.

Sykar

Arcane
Well now that I got a decent skill level in biology and the blue print for making my own PSI boosters I got a much better experience. It really is just the first 1-2 hours in which pure PSI characters struggle. Couple of points into stealth and some lockpicking and hacking helps gathering Oddities and circumvent couple of unnecessary combat.

Just arrived at the Junkyard and need to get into the Old Junkyard it seems. Will see how that will play out.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Any news when the new update Styg mentioned on monday will hit?

Looking to pick up game, though considering major changes to magic psi I wouldn't want to re-start after few hours.

Also: is there any way to increase fonts? Lookign at all screens/ let's plays dialogue font seems tiny in 1920x1080

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also: is there any way to increase fonts? Lookign at all screens/ let's plays dialogue font seems tiny in 1920x1080
You can change the font size in the options menu. These are 1920x1080 screenshots with all fonts set to largest:

KiMKjDb.jpg

9P462t4.jpg

4MYRHI5.jpg

Whiran

Magister

Looking to pick up game, though considering major changes to magic psi I wouldn't want to re-start after few hours.

If you at getting the game then get it now just don't install it. There isn't any value to waiting unless you don't have the budget to grab the game at the moment.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
AW8 - thanks

If you at getting the game then get it now just don't install it. There isn't any value to waiting unless you don't have the budget to grab the game at the moment.

My resistance to a proper RPG just waiting to be installed/played is 0. I don't know if I can manage it. But yeah, fuck it, bought it.

I'm so gonna play it pre patch. What a nightmare!
:troll:

da_rays

Augur
Gnnnhhh, i was gonna save myself for marriage , but then i saw thoses sexy updates~

Re-downloading NOAW. I'm so gonna make sweet love to this~

Havent play in like 4 months. very tempted to try a psy character now. Going Oddity for sure, system look so sweet. Anyone got comments on this VS the original XP system?

[/QUOTE]
My resistance to a proper RPG just waiting to be installed/played is 0. I don't know if I can manage it. But yeah, fuck it, bought it.

I'm so gonna play it pre patch. What a nightmare!
:troll:[/QUOTE]

I Feel you. What a cruel world underrail we live in...

Sykar

Arcane
Oddity is great, you can build any type of well thought out character and won't get punished. At most you lose a little exp if you miss a few enemy specific oddity drops (3 for a few types only). Since there is also no diminishing returns unlike in classic exp system you do not feel to meta game (much), just grab whatever oddity you can find.

I hate classic exp system but not just in UnderRail, I loathe it in general by now. One of the many reasons I liked Bloodlines for example was that you could avoid a lot of combat and still solve quests plus no exp for mere killing either.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Oddity is great, you can build any type of well thought out character and won't get punished. At most you lose a little exp if you miss a few enemy specific oddity drops (3 for a few types only). Since there is also no diminishing returns unlike in classic exp system you do not feel to meta game (much), just grab whatever oddity you can find.

I hate classic exp system but not just in UnderRail, I loathe it in general by now. One of the many reasons I liked Bloodlines for example was that you could avoid a lot of combat and still solve quests plus no exp for mere killing either.

You still end up killing mobs and exploring all of the map just so you can find new oddities, but once you reach the quota for a given oddity, you wont even get rewarded for that. Either system is fine with me.

epeli

Arcane
Anyone got comments on this VS the original XP system?

I just did on the previous page but here we go again. Here's a poll on the topic if you're curious http://strawpoll.me/2982385

Pope Amole II wrote an excellent post on xp systems, from a powergamer's point of view:
Oddity system is a much better one because it forces a more comfortable playstyle unto the player. Or, rather, it's the common experience one that drives you into specific behavior. See, it's all about the experience scaling - specifically, different kinds of experience scaling differently. Monster experience scales down (the higher you are in level, the less xp you receive), quest xp is constant, skill xp scales up. Therefore, it's much more beneficial for you to rush into combat first, killing as many foes asap there, and leave the quest stuff for the later. As an example to this, one of the ways to powerplay Underrail's early game was, instead of gaining that introductory level at the station, to rush straight into the caverns, slaughtering rathounds for that sweet 90 xp per body gain. And then you followed it through to that compound area, killing rats until you were almost level 3 (that's when they ended). If you did stuff this way then, at the end of introductory mission, you would be almost level 4. If not 4 already. Huge difference.

And so forth, and so forth. Of course, maybe I'm just a compulsive metagamer, but at the same time it always felt like the system was punishing you for not rushing into combat. Though, at the other hand, it also punished you for fighting the monsters too early - after all, there was a penalty for overleveling the monster but no reward for fighting it too early. So it also created this "Am I doing this right, am I not screwing myself here?" feeling. And let's not forget that combat can be pretty brutal in this game so screwing yourself is certainly not what you want.

Also, that system created lots of backtracking - oh, no, why would I finish this quest now when I could do it 5 levels later when the experience will be more precious than now? Oh, no, I won't open this cluster of 4 locks, I'll wait for some more so I'll gain an extra hundred xp out of this. Once again, you can blame personal habits here, but the game is hard enough to compel you into stuff like this. Whereas with oddities this is just cut off. More than that, you don't even feel the need to do some stupid stuff. Like, why would I bother to disarm these stupid mines when it's faster to blast them away? Or why would I open to pick that lock if it opens a route that I've already explored from the other side?

And one additional boon of the oddity system is that it creates different tempo for different characters (which isn't that strongly present in the average version). For example, upon arriving into a junkyard, a thief can steal both gangs' oddities, earning what, 6 points in the process? That's almost a level. Whereas the other classes will probably also gain those oddities, but not until much later into the game. It's a help to the stealth characters and, considering how much effort was put into creating a decent stealth system in this game, that's certainly appreciated.

Emphasis added since I noticed a little error in Pope's post. Skill XP doesn't actually scale up - it's static and depends on the skillcheck. XP from discovering secrets (perception check) scales up, he probably got them mixed up.

I guess I should add something so I'm not just repeating myself like a broken record. If you think Pope's examples are too metagamey for your playstyle, here are a couple of different ones:
* Say you're snooping around some forlorn outposts and discover some trapdoors. You realize the trapdoors lead to tunnels that let you skip some enemies and do your task in the area with ease. But since you gain great amount of XP from finding secrets like these hidden trapdoors, you don't actually even think of utilizing the tunnels before you've found their both ends and killed everything between them.
* Or you're infiltrating a long abandoned station with a squad of SGS friends. They are busy near the entrance and tell you to return there if you run into trouble. So you have the option of playing smart and letting your heavily armed friends deal with threats and losing XP, or gritting your teeth and killing everything you may encounter all by yourself.

It's also worth mentioning that classic XP not only strongly favors killing everything and metagaming your xp gains in many ways, it also favors certain builds that let you maximize your noncombat XP. Very high perception (which pushes your build towards guns/crossbows) and/or snooping for getting all that secret discovery XP, lockpicking/hacking/traps for skill XP, et cetera. This was especially prevalent in the early versions where there was only so much content and you couldn't rely on diminishing kill XP from low level respawning enemies.

tl;dr: I like oddity better because it doesn't make you do silly metagaming. It's very liberating.

Sykar

Arcane

You still end up killing mobs and exploring all of the map just so you can find new oddities, but once you reach the quota for a given oddity, you wont even get rewarded for that. Either system is fine with me.

Not if you are a dedicated stealth character which enables you to circumvent a vast amount of enemies. Sure, a primitive grunt type character will have to wade through a lot of battles either way but that is beside the point. Stealth characters can play as they are supposed to, meaning avoiding enemy contact as much as possible.

hiver

Got it working, 2010c++ 64 and 2010 sp1 needed repairs and i reinstalled xna, plus enabled the player. Works now.

First reaction: So full of skills... waahh...
Immediately went for a build too spread out.

Man, those high resolutions do not scale well. Lowered down to 1360xsomething.
Fonts are murderously small and thin in all Ui elements, especially those hovering over NPCs in the game.
The orange thin basic lines of everything dont help much.

Great music, great atmosphere right of the bat. Intro into the story may be a bit prolonged but all the visits are worthwhile.
Some decent smaller C&C right off, good reactivity to different wrong things the player can try and do. Looted some red marked containers, killed a NPCs because of it, etc. You can try it.
One of the first mutant enemies are enhancing their psyonic attacks the more of them there are together.
Got killed easily versus two rathounds a few times.

I cannot reload if i put the ammo in the quick bar? Reload only from inventory?

- tooltip for splitting stacked items should say shift+double click , not just click.

- wish i could rotate the camera at least a bit maaaann, im not missing he old static one.
But the content seems worth it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Got it working, 2010c++ 64 and 2010 sp1 needed repairs and i reinstalled xna, plus enabled the player. Works now.

First reaction: So full of skills... waahh...
Immediately went for a build too spread out.

Man, those high resolutions do not scale well. Lowered down to 1360xsomething.
Fonts are murderously small and thin in all Ui elements, especially those hovering over NPCs in the game.
The orange thin basic lines of everything dont help much.

Great music, great atmosphere right of the bat. Intro into the story may be a bit prolonged but all the visits are worthwhile.
Some decent smaller C&C right off, good reactivity to different wrong things the player can try and do. Looted some red marked containers, killed a NPCs because of it, etc. You can try it.
One of the first mutant enemies are enhancing their psyonic attacks the more of them there are together.
Got killed easily versus two rathounds a few times.

I cannot reload if i put the ammo in the quick bar? Reload only from inventory?

- tooltip for splitting stacked items should say shift+double click , not just click.

- wish i could rotate the camera at least a bit maaaann, im not missing he old static one.
But the content seems worth it.
Hold shift, the right hotbar changes into an ammo reload bar for your equiped weapon :)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Styg -- What are the odds for a supersized UI/Font before 1.0?

The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to play Underrail on my laptop which - for reasons that seemed like a good idea at the time - is 1920x1080 resolution. Combine this with a 13.3" monitor and most things have to be scaled to prevent eye-strain. In lieu of an actual hi-res UI/font, I'd settle for a "hipster indie mode" that makes every pixel 4x4 pixels.

Help me Styg-wan Kenobi. You're my only hopw.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to play Underrail on my laptop which - for reasons that seemed like a good idea at the time - is 1920x1080 resolution. Combine this with a 13.3" monitor and most things have to be scaled to prevent eye-strain. In lieu of an actual hi-res UI/font, I'd settle for a "hipster indie mode" that makes every pixel 4x4 pixels.

They are already in the game... or do you want them even bigger? :retarded:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Hm... I'll double-check tonight. Laptop is currently at home sucking precious powerjuice. It's entirely possible I missed the option when I checked out underrail on the laptop since I was both drunk ant sleep deprived at the time.

Whiran

Magister

I did the exact same thing with my laptop. Cause, you know, more is always better right?

They are already in the game... or do you want them even bigger? :retarded:
Yes please. Bigger is better!

I would love the option to at least double what the largest font size is - I play the game at a lower resolution than 1920x1080 on my PC 'cause things (including font at the current largest size) start getting too small. I can only imagine what it'd look like on my laptop (my laptop has a 15"ish screen at 1920x1080) let alone on a 13.3" screen. Scary thought.

Optional Scaleable UI features = win.

The more options when it comes to user interface stuff (like sizing) the better.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
^This. I actually had to keep Win 8.1 on my laptop because too many Linux applicatiosn couldn't scale to a readable size on my tiny hi-res monitor... :negative:

hiver

And better font with more solid letters would be good too. I turned it onto large size but it could be bigger.
And nicer. Maybe looking into some Ui backgrounds would work well to heighten the text.

epeli

Arcane
Ulminati why don't you just use a lower resolution? There's your hipster indie mode. Tiny screens with such absurdly high DPI are a relatively new thing, that's why you'll find plenty of software (especially on linux) with no DPI scaling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom