Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Got bored and left

I guess (a very rough guess) between %70-80.

Playthroughs probably range between 30-60 hours depending on your playstyle and character build. (30 hours need either some experience with the game or skipping some areas)

Awesome, I wasn't expecting it to be this big at this stage. I'll keep on playing, then. And, chances are, I'll die horribly. Being bad at games is hard, man :negative:

Branm

Learned
To be fair to Underrail it isn't like the vast majority of early access titles. The content that is there (and there is a LOT) is better than most AAA games much less other early access titles :)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm just waiting for it to be done already. :c

Bought 2 copies back when it first became available. Played around at the start a bit and really liked what I saw. Now I'm itching to play it proper, but I don't want to have my first completion hurt by knowing the first 2/3rds of the game by heart.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just bought this as a birthday present to myself after reading Blaine's re-preview and posts of other Codexers praising it.

Damn, does it good. Can't wait to test it tomorrow. :)

agris

Arcane
Patron
I gifted a couple copies to friend over the winter break.. hoping to make some underrail converts.

AW8

Arcane
I've now played the game a for bit and made progress at a snail's pace.

I love the stealth in this game. You've got traps, sneak attacks, ventilation shafts, security cameras. Peeking out of a ventilation shaft, waiting for the security camera to turn away and then jump down, run into a room and shut the door behind you just as the camera turns back - it just feels great. :D

A funny thing happened in the GMS station:

I met the raiders holding a resident hostage. Then, like a moron, I allowed myself to be taken to their leader, where I revealed there were something valuable behind the sealed door on the office level, upon which the leader thanked me and then had his gang kill me in one round. :lol:

Failing is fun, more games should do this. You should be careful what you say and do in conversations, like when you're dealing with the power-mad crime bosses in New Reno in Fallout 2, and not just get away with any behavior. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but making it impossible to fail robs success of its value.

I've been happy to see Mercantile and Mechanics skill checks in dialogue/object interaction. Skill checks are a great, logical way of giving a skill further use in the gameworld.

The oddity system is nice, basing experience on scavenging and looting instead of completing quests and slaughtering enemies.

One small complaint I have is that the notes section could be more detailed. I'm not asking for a quest compass, but it would be nice if the player character wrote down more details of what he just heard, especially since you usually can't go back and get him to tell you the directions again.

I really want to continue playing, but I think I'm gonna stop soon, to save as much of the game as possible for the full release. Maybe I'll replay the first couple of hours as different characters just to learn different builds.

Great game, can't wait for the full release. :greatjob:

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
The oddity system is nice, basing experience on scavenging and looting instead of completing quests and slaughtering enemies.

Doesn't the oddity system give xp for both quests and the items?
You are correct my friend, quests apparently do give XP.

Underrail wiki said:
Since version 0.1.11.0, completing quests also awards experience in Oddity XP system.

Which is fine too. I don't have a problem with kill XP, but it's nice to see a game where things get mixed up a bit, and doesn't have you leveling slower if you complete tasks in other ways than combat.

epeli

Arcane
Indeed, the amount of oddity XP gained from quests is quite small. Small enough to be insignificant for leveling. All the quest XP combined could probably only get you to level 4 or so.

making it impossible to fail robs success of its value.
So much this. One of the worst sins of contemporary game development! Not even roguelikes are safe anymore. Dungeons of Dredmor was a massive disappointment for me, completed it on my first proper character after checking out what the skills do. Even the humor got old somewhere halfway through. :(

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Institute of Tchort

Hey guys. The team's working hard on the new areas and quests which are all related to the next step in the main story line - the Institute of Tchort. Here are some teaser screenshots:

One major mechanical change I made since the last update is concerning the psi pool. Instead of functioning like a "mana" resource, the psi was changed to more of pre-alpha state when it functioned like an "energy" resource. Every character with Psi Empathy feat now has 100 psi points and regenerates 20 points per turn (or per 5 seconds in real time). Psi boosters now instantly restore 75 psi.

These changes were done for two reasons which tie into the same problem. One - they were meant to make the psi cost more relevant when choosing what to invoke. The cost of the psi abilities have been re-balanced accordingly - those abilities that were meant to be used as primary attacks, such as neural overload, cryokinesis and electrokinesis, have a low cost and can be spammed without running out of psi. However, those high impact abilities, such as bilocation and cryostasis can run you out of psi quickly.

The second reason, which is related to the first one, is to curb the multi-disciplined psi build. As it stands in the release version, builds that go for full psi can generally invest into all three schools of psi without much trouble because they all rely on the same base stat and also share a number of beneficial feats. This grants the player access to a large amount of crowd-control and AoE abilities that they can invoke in short 1-2 turn burst which makes most encounters a breeze. Now, however, the limited psi pool will keep that in check. You will still be able to spec in all the schools if you wish, but you won't be able to bring down the full power of all of them at the same time.

Another happy consequence of this change is that the psi builds will have easier time in early game because they won't have to worry about psi boosters as much. Now keep in mind that the numbers stated above are not set in stone. We haven't still done any extensive testing of this change so tweaks are likely to happen. Also, I'll probably introduce a couple of feats in the future that will allow the player to slightly expand the psi pool or increase the psi regeneration.

In other news, I've been working on various things related to crafting. Most of the planned components have been added to the standard blueprints. While I'll be adding more components before the game is released as well as some utility and consumable blueprints, there are no plans to add more general blueprints, such as those for a new type of weapon or armor. Keep in in mind that all the crafting stuff added here is crafting-only; that is - it does not appear in randomly generated loot. Also, most of these changes are not retroactive, so already obtained items in running games will be mostly unchanged. Anyway, here's the list:

• Items
    • Added components for creating a cryoliquid blob pistol
    • Added components for creating an incendiary blob pistol
    • Added components for creating a cryoliquid blob trap
    • Added components for creating an incendiary blob trap
    • Added new firearm enhancements
    • Added blueprints for special bullet type for each caliber
    • Added shaded visor component that can craft metal helmet that make you immune to blinding effects (flashbang)
    • Added two new types of padding foam
    • Added infused variants of all leathers which can be obtained in acertain way and can get to very high quality; these leathers all grant various bonuses when used in crafting; the bonuses also vary from blueprint to blueprint
    • Added two new fabric types
    • Added two new carrier vests
    • Added one new ballistic armor plate
    • Added one new ballistic panel
    • Added one new special metal type
  • Tweaks
    • You now always fire 2 extra shots with Full Auto feat
    • Bipod precision bonus changed to 10% (up from 5%)
    • You now have 30% chance to receive the bullet case after firing a bullet (you can use these for crafting)
    • Tweaked some on-hit effects so they can now be appropriately mitigated when the damage of the attack that causes them is fully resisted/shielded
    • Aluminized cloth now grants immunity to burning when used in armor suit crafting
    • Increased the amount of stealth penalty applied by aluminized cloth
    • Regenerative vest no longer appears as a component of generated items
    • Metal helmets now provide slightly more damage resistance and also provide damage threshold proportionally
    • Metal boots now also provide damage threshold proportionally and grant immunity to caltrops
    • Stuff made from ancient rathound leather now also grants 5% mechanical damage taken reduction
    • High-density padding foam melee protection bonus now scales with component quality
    • Tabi boots now increase the chance to get critically hit on the toes
    • Super string will no longer appear on generated crossbows
    • Leather armors will no longer be generated from leathers better than those naturally occurring
    • Mechanical resistance and threshold lowered for certain leather armors
  • Feats
    • Disassemble - Grants you a blueprint that allows you retrieve some or all components from a disassemble-able items (such as weapons, armors, etc). This works both on the items you made and those you've just found. Existing items in running games will not be dis-assemblable.
  • Bugs
    • Visual effects will no longer appear on the invisible imported character during the opening cutscene
    • Fixed the problem with the final Arena fight not starting properly
    • Fixed the bug that caused some traps to not properly trigger faction hostilities in controlled areas
    • You should no longer be able to invoke psi abilities if you're... not human
    • You can no longer use Locus of Control while driving, it's just not safe
    • Quick Tinkering will now properly mitigate the AP cost of setting traps in combat
    • Armor modifiers (such as bonus vs bullets/melee) will now only apply to resistance values of the item with those modifiers instead of globally
    • 0% negative armor penalty fixed for realz now (maybe)
    • Armor penalty is now correctly called that (instead of 'encumbrance') in combat stats window
    • Corrected the bug that caused passive things like cameras to de-stealth you when you perform transgressions in their vicinity
    • Fixed the bug that caused the hostilities in Foundry prison to escalate to the entire city even if you killed all the witnesses and erased the footage
    • Fixed various minor quest and map bugs
That's all for now. Let us know how you like the changes and if you like the looks of the new areas.
Cheers.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I would have agreed with you, but I was at some rich guy's house this holiday and they had a pool table of roughly that size. It was fucking ginormous. 4 couples could easily fuck on it without ever touching.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, sounds and looks very good.
Are some tweaks to assault rifles planned ? They could use some more love, one (or two) feats assault rifle specific - as all (?) other main types of weapons have would be great. A little more range (compared to pistols/smg) for more realism would be nice but not necessary.

I heard so much praise about Underrail here on the Codex that i decided to buy it some time ago (first and only early access game i bought) - and i am not disapointed. Thanks to fellow codexers for the recommendations (and of curse to Styg for making this already excellent game).

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Are some tweaks to assault rifles planned ? They could use some more love, one (or two) feats assault rifle specific - as all (?) other main types of weapons have would be great. A little more range (compared to pistols/smg) for more realism would be nice but not necessary.

Yes, I'm planning to improve assault rifles a bit. Probably through feats.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Is there a current release date estimate Styg? All the links I dig up on a google search say "Probably 2014".

Daddy craves his Underrail, but I kind of want my next run to be in 1.0. If you can give me an up-to-date release date estimate, I'll buy another 2 copies of Underrail and gift them to codexers. :3

Last edited:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Is there a current release date estimate Styg? All the links I dig up on a google search say "Probably 2014".

Daddy craves his Underrail, but I kind of want my next run to be in 1.0. If you can give me an up-to-date release date estimate, I'll buy another 2 copies of Underrail and gift them to codexers. :3

I don't have the exact release date, but I did write a bit about what's left to do in the last dev log, so you can check that out.

epeli

Arcane
Nope. Even if there is, don't trust him. ;)

Now I want to talk a bit about the future development plans. I won't be giving you a release date, though I can safely say it won't be this year as I initially hoped. However, know that the end is in sight.

When it comes to mechanical stuff, there are still stuff like components, items, feats, abilities, etc to be added. However, there are currently no plans to add any more major mechanics (gas and fire should be the last). From the content side there are two parts of the main quest left that, as it happens, take part in two locations that are yet to be added - Institute of Tchort and Deep Caverns.

So here's what going to happen.

The next content update that we release will feature Institute of Tchort part of the main questline. This will be the last Early Access release. Afterwards, only the Deep Caverns are left before the game is complete. When we finish those, we will take extra time to polish up the game (we won't release Deep Caverns right away), especially the older areas which are no longer up to par with the new stuff. We will also take extra time to test the game to stomp out as many bugs as possible. Then we will release the game in full, make lots of money, retire to a tropical island and live happily ever after. That's the plan at least.

How long will this take? As long as it needs to. It would be pointless for me to give you a release date estimate, since I will gladly ignore it for the sake of the game as I did before. The quality of the game is my primary concern and in the long run that is best for everyone. We're nearing the end, though, so stay patient, dudes.

tl;dr: 2 major content updates, final testing/polishing and then release.

Judging from the development progress so far, my educated guess would be something like this http://youtu.be/Vxi7JRJrod4?t=1m48s

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
  • Feats
    • Disassemble - Grants you a blueprint that allows you retrieve some or all components from a disassemble-able items (such as weapons, armors, etc). This works both on the items you made and those you've just found. Existing items in running games will not be dis-assemblable.

I'll admit, I love when my wishes are granted.

A+ Styg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom