Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
So Styg, any development on those sort buttons?

No, I'm not planning to work on those as of now. So much other stuff that needs attention.

A couple of random impressions:
  • The game froze on me a few times recently. Found a thread on the Steam forums where Styg says freezes might have something to do with changing focus in windowed mode but I played in fullscreen mode when it happened. Still, I had alt-tabbed out of the game every time (several) minutes before it occured, so that might have been it, I guess. Most of the time it froze when using a special ability like psi or aimed shot, only one time it happened after clicking on a scene transition. I always play the game windowed now (with quite a bit of switching windows) and hasn't happened again since.
  • It would be convenient if the "sort" button would also combine stackable items
  • The one thing I can't get quite warm with is the combination of having both a skill cap based on level and no way of saving up some of the skill points on level-up. Wouldn't the former be enough to prevent characters from becoming too strong too soon (assuming that's what it's supposed to prevent)? Would be nice to have a little more freedom in building a character especially as that's a very fun part of Underrail for me (must have played the starting area about two dozen times by now, just trying stuff out).

• I'm not sure. People usually reported it freezing when they alt-tabbed or left the game running while alt-tabbed or something. I suspected it had something to do with windows overlapping each other and messing up rendering stuff, but I never got to the bottom of this.
  • I guess
  • The reason for this is primarily that I don't want people saving up feat points to purchase high level feats and skip the low end ones. There are more ways than one to address this issue and one can even argue that it's not an issue, but it's the design I chose for this game and it worked well enough so far.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So are we still looking at a 2014 release date? I've got myself a craving for underrail, but I promised myself I'd hold off playing my copy until release.

polo

Magister
So are we still looking at a 2014 release date? I've got myself a craving for underrail, but I promised myself I'd hold off playing my copy until release.
Same here, i really want to play it. But i can wait, specially since best RPG ever aka Dragon Age Inquisition is coming in a week.:troll:

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
After the next update, I'll talk a bit about what's left to be done before release. I'm pretty sure we won't be done in 2014, though.

For those of you thinking of starting a playthrough I'd suggest holding off at least until the next update since the new factions aren't fully (or at all) compatible with the existing saves.

railway

Educated
The reason for this is primarily that I don't want people saving up feat points to purchase high level feats and skip the low end ones. There are more ways than one to address this issue and one can even argue that it's not an issue, but it's the design I chose for this game and it worked well enough so far.

Fair enough. It wouldn't really be an issue in my opinion but I'm not the developer, so tough luck for me.
That said, I want to emphasise again that I'm nitpicking here and I'm enjoying your game a lot nonetheless (despite the "issue" the tight design plays a big role in this). Like apparently many others here I was planning to withhold playing Underrail until its full release when some day I decided to "just try it out for an hour to see what it's like" and now I'm in the three-digit number of playtime according to Steam.

polo

Magister
After the next update, I'll talk a bit about what's left to be done before release. I'm pretty sure we won't be done in 2014, though.

For those of you thinking of starting a playthrough I'd suggest holding off at least until the next update since the new factions aren't fully (or at all) compatible with the existing saves.
:love:

shamelessly reposted from the goty thread

cqORiDX.jpg

:love:

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Chill out people.
Its We because Styg is no longer working alone. Mac Orion is part of the team aswell now.
I think there is another guy, but i am not sure.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Chill out people.
Its We because Styg is no longer working alone. Mac Orion is part of the team aswell now.
I think there is another guy, but i am not sure.

There's three of us working full time and three freelancers (models, portraits, music).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
(continuing from here)
Unlike the tileset graphics, these are modeled in 3D and then prerendered as spritesheets. While they may not blend perfectly with the surrounding graphics, this is the best way for providing all the armor-weapon variations graphics while keeping the art budget in check.

This is quite common and can work really well for isometric games that have 8 rotational perspectives instead of 4.. (well technically 8 is 4 with image flipping)

A great example of a game that did this exact thing would be Nox from Westwood.. not biased or anything.. *cough*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom