Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #55: Global Map

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, totally finally!
I can't wait until it plays like Skyrim!
What's with all this turn-based shit and not even first person??????

Hey man, hopefully we get Twitch integration and MLG sponsorship next, shit's gonna be dank dude.

HMU on the Underrail Discord.

Black Angel

Arcane
There's already lots of option to make walking speed faster without having to resort to Cheat Engine, from using light-armored build, to using Tabi Boots or even Strider-enhanced boots.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
I can understand why you would neep a map for playing to some old blobbers, but for Underrail? Come on.

Don't you pay any attention to the maps? Isn't it easy to remember that Rail crossing is located to the northwest of the protectorate embassy? Lul. Even the layout of DC isn't that hard to remember.
To the right direction are the Faceless, to the left are the Tchortists; to the south west is the shroom grove; and so on.
You just have to remember that, for Christ's sake.

I think the game will lose much of its feel with the inclusion of the map. Why would you bother exploring, if the game shows you the way back?

The walking speed isn't a true issue imo; Loading times and backtracking are. I really liked the Institute of Tchort, but it was a pain in that regard (and the same can apply to Core City, reaching your house takes too much time; and even more so in the Foundry). Eventually you do not complaint against the walking speed, only against loading times and backtracking. You only feel the slowness of your character because of those two points aforementioned.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I can understand why you would neep a map for playing to some old blobbers, but for Underrail? Come on.

Don't you pay any attention to the maps? Isn't it easy to remember that Rail crossing is located to the northwest of the protectorate embassy? Lul. Even the layout of DC isn't that hard to remember.

It's easy if you aren't a dumbfuck who's been trained to walk along thinly-disguised linear corridors following quest markers from one place to the next.

I bought Underrail for one of my Steam friends who pretty much never plays RPGs, and he didn't once complain about the lack of a map. Yet here we have a forum supposedly full of old skool gamers (except it hasn't been for many years, that much is clear) who can't survive without their hands being held.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's already lots of option to make walking speed faster without having to resort to Cheat Engine, from using light-armored build, to using Tabi Boots or even Strider-enhanced boots.

Those are not game options.

Those are builds/equipment.

Different things. Don't be a retard. A game option would be the same for everybody and would be independent of the game mechanics.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Here is a medically accurate illustration of the disability that causes people to become agitated when there's no map showing them exactly where to go.

As you can see, prolonged periods of using GPS/satnavs, extensive play of Bethesda hiking simulators, a distaste for reading and puzzle-solving, and an aversion to thinking for oneself causes the hippocampus to shrink down into a pitiful husk.

08f7986f21.png

a6a93d888b.png

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Here is a medically accurate illustration of the disability that causes people to become agitated when there's no map showing them exactly where to go.

As you can see, prolonged periods of using GPS/satnavs, extensive play of Bethesda hiking simulators, a distaste for reading and puzzle-solving, and an aversion to thinking for oneself causes the hippocampus to shrink down into a pitiful husk.

08f7986f21.png

a6a93d888b.png

Blaine you have real problems with yourself, if you can't restrain yourself from using ingame map when it will finally be included in underrail. It's not like it will be like a quest system in skyrim, which was an integral part of the system, because quest descriptions were too lacking, to actually go without quest markers. Map in underrail will be solely optional -you will still be able to NOT use it. Why do you have problem how other people play the game, or want to play the game? Im always all in for convenience improvements whether in gameplay or UI, that doesn't detrack from experience, because they can be solely optional. And i think most people could agree on that.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I love neckbards and their bullshit arguments about how QoL changes to a good game, are bad and shouldnt be implemented.

OH NOEEUHH, DONT MAEK THE GAME EASIER TO ENJOY, DONTTMEE MAEEK QUALIRT OF LIFE CHANGES, I WANT ME GAME VNALLA AS IT IS!!

YOU NEED TO BE ANNOYED TO PALY THIS GAEMEE, you need to be annoyed about trivial shit, that has no impact on the game itself, just annoyances.

What a moronic argument. I can't even fathom it.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I love neckbards and their bullshit arguments about how QoL changes to a good game, are bad and shouldnt be implemented.

OH NOEEUHH, DONT MAEK THE GAME EASIER TO ENJOY, DONTTMEE MAEEK QUALIRT OF LIFE CHANGES, I WANT ME GAME VNALLA AS IT IS!!

YOU NEED TO BE ANNOYED TO PALY THIS GAEMEE, you need to be annoyed about trivial shit, that has no impact on the game itself, just annoyances.

You perfectly described people who don't want any evolution whatsoever, who would be perfectly fine with some ludicrous shit, only because it is like in the "old times" because OLD is always better than NEW. The mind of "incline" that link together everything that is new to "decline". Still most of them after a hefty accomodation time, will adapt to the new improvements, and acknowledge them as "canon" of the RPG systems. The thing is that when this happens, the rest of the world will move on, and thus the problem will stay. These people are like in a time stasis, the rest of the world moved on, but they are clinging to their wooden mechanics, no QoL, because "old" is "incline". I would say they like it because that's their comfort zone, they know it well, and don't like to adapt to a new change.

And there's another group of people, who thinks that completing a game which is obscure, hardcore, and obfuscated makes them better than everyone, that it is some kind of a real life achievment that you can brag about and be proud of. Like someone would care about that you completed a game, with retarded mechanics with no QoL whatsoever, when such thing could be easily implemented, but NO, don't dare to to that, just because i want something to be harder for the sake of being harder[and it's not really being harder in case of maps -i just can do the maps on my own, it's just time consuming and unconvenient with UR map system, because the connections are not grid based -you will have multiple A4 pages just to map some areas, with connections, its really unwieldy]

Just my two cents.

Shin

Cipher

You perfectly described people who don't want any evolution whatsoever, who would be perfectly fine with some ludicrous shit, only because it is like in the "old times" because OLD is always better than NEW. The mind of "incline" that link together everything that is new to "decline". Still most of them after a hefty accomodation time, will adapt to the new improvements, and acknowledge them as "canon" of the RPG systems. The thing is that when this happens, the rest of the world will move on, and thus the problem will stay. These people are like in a time stasis, the rest of the world moved on, but they are clinging to their wooden mechanics, no QoL, because "old" is "incline". I would say they like it because that's their comfort zone, they know it well, and don't like to adapt to a new change.

And there's another group of people, who thinks that completing a game which is obscure, hardcore, and obfuscated makes them better than everyone, that it is some kind of a real life achievment that you can brag about and be proud of. Like someone would care about that you completed a game, with retarded mechanics with no QoL whatsoever, when such thing could be easily implemented, but NO, don't dare to to that, just because i want something to be harder for the sake of being harder[and it's not really being harder in case of maps -i just can do the maps on my own, it's just time consuming and unconvenient with UR map system, because the connections are not grid based -you will have multiple A4 pages just to map some areas, with connections, its really unwieldy]

Just my two cents.

tldr; a lot people on this forum are fucking retarded and would bang their own mum for parrots.

dmonin

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Make the Codex Great Again!
Wow... Maps in Underrail, thats really *big* news. Actually it was fun making a map on a paper while playing Underrail.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Just my two cents.
Evolution, lol. So much evolution in gaming lately, really, thank fucking god it's not 20 years ago anymore.
Where do you draw the line on what is QOL and what is decline? Some think health-regen and cover systems are QOL. Do you even care or anything that makes it "easier to enjoy" for you it's automatically QOL and therefore better?
And why is it automatically assumed that a certain feature is suitable for everything? What might be QOL is a game might not be in another.
In other words you are unable to make a difference between QOL features and features which change the gameplay. The presence of a map is related to how the game plays. It's got nothing to do with QOL. And it's not an evolution in any way. A fucking speed slider is a QOL feature on the other hand.
And when the fuck did this QOL became a buzzword? It's only recently that I started to hear it everywhere and mostly as a cover for "can you change the game for my preferences, that would improve it for everybody".

In short: Kill yourself, that would be a fucking QOL and evolution of this forum.

Dorateen

Arcane

Just my two cents.

You are not ready for Grimoire.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
FeelTheQOL

He seems upset.

Dumbfuck.

He seems dumbfuck.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Blaine you have real problems with yourself, if you can't restrain yourself from using ingame map when it will finally be included in underrail.

Oh, I can restrain myself. It does however represent an expenditure of developer man-hours that would have been better spent on literally anything else. There's no such thing as a free lunch in this world. Moreover, it indicates that Styg is inclined (or should I say, declined) to take suggestions from the lowest common denominator of incompetents.

In any event, maps aren't pure QoL, as they actually make the game easier and less dangerous.

All three game of the CODEX HOLY TRINITY™ have in game maps? Problem Blaine ?

:troll:

What, you mean The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Dragon Age: Origins, and Alpha Protocol?

Terra

Cipher
About time, I can finally go back and finish my playthrough.

Zenith

Arbiter
hippocampus
Ah yes, I bet navigating a space with no clear distances and occasional impossible geography involves hippocampus, and totally isn't 99.9% memory-based.
8Xbg4nQ.png

And it's not like sense of perspective somewhat fades when you have a thousand hours clocked in a game, eh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom