Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Unavowed - Dave Gilbert's RPG-inspired urban fantasy game

Cromwell

Arcane
I played female, but if you play male in eddins house

Thought the same, no wonder some people are so butthurt about this. :shittydog:

I would be more butthurt if as female you dont go for the guy. So much for "muh sjw shit" So since I play something else right now but was curious I watched the other endings on youtube
From what I saw it doesnt really mater who you save you can get the best ending even if all the guys you may kill die? I expected to need the whole team for the best ending which would mean using summons to get to evilyou but it seems it doesnt matter (except for the ending slides?

I liked the ending here more than in blackwell
aside from the the jesus thing I thought it was very cruel to ressurrect joy because now he is alive again but everyone he ever knew is dead and he himself is pretty much non existant in any system which relegates him to a life on the streets as begger or something. Also kaykay not only died being killed by her mother, only ten years old, now she may spend the rest of eternity as a fucking ghost, poor child.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The audio quality is a bit . . Eh.
Yeah I noticed that inconsistency too, some of the characters sounded like they delivered their lines via Discord VC or something. Not sure what happened there.
yeah, the hipster rainbow bagel guy is especially bad. Sounds like they are recordinh with ninendo labo cardboard mic or something if it exist.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Puzzles are a bit weak, then again blackwell didnt have too much complex puzzles too, although admittedly blackwell have more on the puzzles side despite being shorter.

In the end, like everything dave gilbert made, i love it and i hope DaveGilbert can make unavowed a series. Make unavowed: dragonfall in berlin, or the old crew trying to
bring mel back

I second that, it's obvious that Dave really enjoyed creating this world and since the Unavowed exist all over the world it's easy to make a sequel that has no connection with the first game's plot. Let's hope it becomes a success for Wadjet eye

Big Wrangle

Looks like I missed the Joey cameo, wasn't even aware of it until now. I do love how detective Sam Durkin just keeps running into, as far as he's concerned, weird-ass people. By the time of Unavowed he just doesn't give a shit.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://indiegames.com/2018/08/unavowed.html

Wadjet Eye Games' 'Unavowed' Spins A Near-Perfect Urban Fantasy Yarn
August 13, 2018 8:00 AM | Thomas Faust

Dave Gilbert's Blackwell games have been some of my favorite point & click adventures for years. Good stories, likeable protagonists, a distinct sense of place, and that trademark Wadjet Eye style had me anticipating each new episode like Christmas. I was certain that Gilbert's games couldn't get any better, that he had "found his voice" as a game developer, so to speak.

Well. I was wrong.

Unavowed switches the old amnesiac protagonist trope around. You know who you are - problem is that you've been possessed by a demon for the past year. And thanks to your "guest's" murderous rampage across New York City, you're now a wanted criminal. It's a good thing, then, that your saviors, a group that calls itself the Unavowed, not only banish that demon, but also recruit you into their ranks to find out exactly what the demon wanted and why there have been so many supernatural occurrences lately.

This is urban fantasy in the vein of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files or the Hellblazer comics through and through, featuring all kinds of supernatural creatures in its short, episodic chapters. Each of those has you travelling to another part of NYC to uncover the source of, uh, something strange in the neighborhood. It is quite apparent that Dave Gilbert loves that city. Every locale feels distinct and more than just some backdrop. This is one of those games that make you want to seek out its places in the real world, so that you can compare them to their fictional counterparts.

Every episode, you'll have to make a choice which of your fellow Unavowed to take with you. By the end of the game, there are four different party members, and the way to solve each problem depends heavily on your choice. Do you take the fire mage with you, or rather the acrobatic half-djinn who can tell truth from lies? Your choice affects the puzzles you'll face, the dialogue options available to you, as well as the banter between your companions. I've played through the game once, but I am itching to replay it, just to see how things shape up when I take other people with me.

Compared to Unavowed, the Blackwell series feels positively quaint, like a master's early work. Take, for instance, your way of interacting with the game world. In traditional adventure games, you click on something and your protagonist shares their thoughts on the matter. Unavowed saves you that click and lets you read a description of the item as soon as you mouse over it. Small change (which, it should be noted, Gilbert borrowed from Brotherhood Games' Stasis), huge difference. The pacing of every scene subtly changes, letting you enjoy the story without clicky interruptions.

The game is polished to near-perfection, with Wadjet Eye Games regulars Ben Chandler and Thomas Regin reprising their roles as lead artist and composer, respectively. The saxophone-heavy soundtrack is a delight and the voice cast stellar. However, all of this wouldn't mean a thing without good writing. Thankfully, Unavowed completely won me over with its characters, its pacing, and its plot, which resolved quite satisfyingly (and felt complete on its own while also leaving room for a sequel). I am gushing praise, but I cannot help it - the game really is that good.

You can purchase Unavowed from Wadjet Eye Games, GOG, and Steam. For more information, visit the game's website or follow Dave Gilbert on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I gotta say I loved the
twist in the final act. I genuinely didnt see it coming. I assumed that I was still possessed, but that the rest of the Unavowed knew it and were using my lapse in memory to tease the truth out of me - or that I was currently INSIDE the pocket universe already, created as a way to force me to reveal what I had done...or something like that.

I definitely want to go back and play as another character and make some different choices to see what happens. The return of the flaming guy and the demon who you let feed on the corpses was a nice callback to earlier choices in a way that felt very natural.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started playan, just finished the Mystery of the Fire Elemental (tm)

Game looks fun so far even though I find it hard to treat the rather generic urban fantasy shtick seriously. I'm not that much a fan of urban fantasy in general because it seems all the damn things always follow the exact same formula, i.e. "regular guy in Big_City suddenly finds that Big_City has a supernatural underground and he suddenly has to leave his loife behind!!!", and for now Unavowed is no exception.

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the amount of locations, which all seem to have only like 1 hotspot to interact with and nothing else. Feels like... wasted resources? Sorta?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You need to wait for the twist.

Yes, it's basically KOTOR, but at least it makes your avatar actually somewhat interesting

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Hey are you people actually claiming Unavowed is this good because of one twist
That's rather disconcerting

Cool twists in a story based game are important. The Others is an awesome ghost movie because of the twist. The Sixth Sense is a pretty bland movie until the final act.

And I didnt see anyone claiming that its good because of one twist, rather that the story itself is enjoyable because of the twist(s) it takes.

Gondolin

Arcane
I kinda like Unavowed, but... the story is too similar to the Blackwell series. It's "The Paranormal Streets of San Francisco New York". Again.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hah, the mouse-over descriptions over props and such differ depending on whether you're man or womyns. That's a pretty cool detail.

Egosphere

Arcane
Started it yesterday. It's ok, at best. A lot of it is simply walking and talking, the puzzles are very easy. Some of them are so straightforward that they become hard as your mind searches for a more elaborate solution. The characters are so-so: some are okay, but occasional dialogue remarks like 'you're gaslighting', or whatever it was, are pretty jarring. Voice acting is pretty good. I won't judge the story yet because I've only just finished the Staten Island part - I guess that it's the sole facet of the experience that will either make or break the whole game. It's a 'story' game at it's heart. The puzzles and 'rpg' elements are just minor embellishments.

PS: Harrison
offed herself in my game, is that a bad ending confirmed?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well
it still affects the ending slides, only the 'main' ending gets unaffected

Also changes some of the puzzles around the ending

opium fiend

Augur
As always, I'm paralyzed with indecision whenever I'm presented with a choice in a game. If I choose bartender background, will I be stuck with logan as an optional teammate or will I have access to NPCs from other origins?

Big Wrangle

Origins don't lock you out of a party member, don't worry about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom