Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

FrancoTAU

Cipher
My only criticism is that Archie looks like a guy I'd want to punch in the face. Otherwise, can't wait to see the final product.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Some more pics:

cliffs.jpg

dungeon.jpg

jonny.jpg

leomund.jpg

newtiles.jpg

sunset.jpg

talkmode.jpg

PeeWee

Augur
I would like to thank Infinitron and Deuce Traveler for their help.

Now let us wait for Dr. Dungeon’s major announchment.

PeeWee

Augur
Hello, everyone.

Dr. Dungeon has informed me of several things:

- The combat system for "MadMan" is done.
- The magic system is being worked on right now, and should contain reasonably interesting effects.
- Dr. Dungeon is sorry his big announcement is late, but hopefully will come within about another month.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Updaten from PeeWee:

About Dr. Dungeon’s work.

I have included one more picture as an e-mail-attachment to this e-mail. Dr. Dungeon has informed me that the combat-system for "MadMan" is done (as I, PW, said on the forum) and this picture is from the combat-system for "MadMan". Dr. Dungeon told me it is okay to upload this picture as well. Could you please do so?

Best wishes,

PW

Of course, PW.

combat1.jpg

PeeWee

Augur
To Deuce Traveler: thanks for uploading, but could you make the picture as big as the others?

Dr. Dungeon reports about "MadMan":

- It is a full turn-based system, doesn't scale to your level. The monsters walk fully animated around the map facing the right directions, homing in on the player, flanking him, and attacking with a wide range of melee, ranged and magical attacks, often flanking the player and running when badly damaged.
- Even their steps (and yours) make different sounds depending on the terrain you're walking on.
- The player has many strategic choices in combat, can change weapon sets, mix and make some potions, and if clever enough can even outsmart some powerful monsters on occasion.
- Monsters are also placed carefully - they are there for a reason, and each has a history behind it and in some cases a whole culture and even towns where they live. It is possible to even make a truce with some monsters.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
To Deuce Traveler: thanks for uploading, but could you make the picture as big as the others?

Dr. Dungeon reports about "MadMan":

- It is a full turn-based system, doesn't scale to your level. The monsters walk fully animated around the map facing the right directions, homing in on the player, flanking him, and attacking with a wide range of melee, ranged and magical attacks, often flanking the player and running when badly damaged.
- Even their steps (and yours) make different sounds depending on the terrain you're walking on.
- The player has many strategic choices in combat, can change weapon sets, mix and make some potions, and if clever enough can even outsmart some powerful monsters on occasion.
- Monsters are also placed carefully - they are there for a reason, and each has a history behind it and in some cases a whole culture and even towns where they live. It is possible to even make a truce with some monsters.
This game actually sounds pretty cool. I'm looking forward to it.

DrDungeon

Developer
I don't remember why I made that Dragon edition. I think I was trying to elicit the dragon's advice or something. Frankly, I'm trying to downplay that this new madman is an "enhanced" version of the old DOS one from 1996. The new game is radically improved from the old, and a full-fledged role playing game that I am doing my best to market as a whole new venture, with a later goal being to import Ultizurk IV into this far superior "MAD" engine as I call it. This is the reason I've been very quiet about the "old" madman as I don't want people to think this new one is just a minor improvement. Is there a way I can get my email to you from here? I can give you more details, as well as some info about what my "big announcment" is going to be, and since you've been so helpful, I can get you the complete version of the old madman. Gotta thank you guys again for getting me back to work!
Here's a new, short little trailer that showcases the mighty World Editor for Madman! -Dr. Dungeon (sounds bizarre! just call me Rob ) :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E71So1MyY5Q&feature=youtu.be

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't remember why I made that Dragon edition. I think I was trying to elicit the dragon's advice or something. Frankly, I'm trying to downplay that this new madman is an "enhanced" version of the old DOS one from 1996. The new game is radically improved from the old, and a full-fledged role playing game that I am doing my best to market as a whole new venture, with a later goal being to import Ultizurk IV into this far superior "MAD" engine as I call it. This is the reason I've been very quiet about the "old" madman as I don't want people to think this new one is just a minor improvement. Is there a way I can get my email to you from here? I can give you more details, as well as some info about what my "big announcment" is going to be, and since you've been so helpful, I can get you the complete version of the old madman. Gotta thank you guys again for getting me back to work!
Here's a new, short little trailer that showcases the mighty World Editor for Madman! -Dr. Dungeon (sounds bizarre! just call me Rob ) :)

I understand. Deuce Traveler, perhaps you should do this? You've worked with DrDungeon's friend PeeWee already, after all.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron

I understand. Deuce Traveler, perhaps you should do this? You've worked with DrDungeon's friend PeeWee already, after all.

Sure, but what would you like done with the old version? Just post it for everyone to download, do a quick synopsis about it after a playthrough, or do you want some sort of more lengthy Let's Play done?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sure, but what would you like done with the old version? Just post it for everyone to download, do a quick synopsis about it after a playthrough, or do you want some sort of more lengthy Let's Play done?

Send it to Kenneth Kully @ UltimaCodex. Unless anybody has any objections, that is.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Madman looks great so far. Feels like DOS RPG goodness is alive again. I can't wait for a party based Ultizurk in this engine.

Dr Dungeon Rob, can we move using the cursor keys? It's a minor pet peeve but I always prefered the number pad over mouse for movement in these type of games.

DrDungeon

Developer
MADMAN - The new upcoming role playing game from The Castle of the Mach Gryphon! Its a quick sample of combat. Looks best in 720 at full screen. It came out a little dark - actually a little brighter when playing.

Sorry about the player's "OW!" sound - wrong effect! He's supposed to say like OUCH and ARRGH!

Let me know what you think. Here 'tis. -Dr. D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Do you have an ETA for us, DrDungeon?

By the way, it would be best if you posted these updates in the main Ultizurk thread. It's easier to keep track of things that way, as that is the thread everybody is watching for updates.

DrDungeon

Developer
Hi Infinitron! I think right now it looks like maybe 3 months. Trying to estimate on the high side. When I finish up magic and tweak everything, the reall hard stuff should be done and I expect it to progress fairly quickly.

I thought of posting this in the Ultizurk thread, but MadMan isn't really part of the old ultizurk cannon. I thought it might get a little more attention in its own thread as its currently the game I'm working on. What do you think?

After combat and magic, I'll be working on the journaling system, which is pretty easy and will list any quests as well as many comments the madman notices as he roams the land.

Another really big thing I'm working on is more fauna in the land. Things like deer and rabbits and birds running around, plus I have some ideas for some weather effects. After playing BG2 again for awhile. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I thought of posting this in the Ultizurk thread, but MadMan isn't really part of the old ultizurk cannon. I thought it might get a little more attention in its own thread as its currently the game I'm working on. What do you think?

That's true, but it's really become more of an all-purpose "Dr. Dungeon" thread at this point. Maybe we should rename it. ;)

DrDungeon

Developer
I didn't know a thread could be renamed. That may be a good idea. I'm racking my brains to think of a title. Heritage of Zurk? Nay, probably not. Dr. Dungeon the Madman? Hmm.
Games from an extremely abscure nobody from nowhere? Nice, but too long. :)
Games inspired by Elton John's MadMan Across the Water? Uh!
Gems from a basement game maker???
The weird world of Robby?

Help me out guys! Let's think up some new thread title for poor, unknown, other-than-famous, one-man operation Robby!
Back to the lab for now. Thanks a ton, guys! -Rob

PW: it didn't take long. :) (Inside joke)

PeeWee

Augur
Hello, everybody.

I, PW, do not understand how this forum works with different threads and moving things, but I think everybody should know what I am putting in this post.

To FrancoTAU: as an answer to your question about "MadMan": Dr. Dungeon told me that yes, it will have keypad movement plus the wsad keys as well as several hot keys to open up various panels, etc.

A COMBAT demo video from "MadMan" / MADMAN Combat Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2yC8Z1Tc-A&feature=youtu.be
Looks best if you click the GEAR icon under the window and set it to 720 and full screen. Do not forget to listen to the sound / music.

"Morbius’ Isthmus":
This is the exact same game as "The Great Ultizurkian Underland". "Morbius’ Isthmus" cannot be unlocked, but if you like it, you should play "The Great Ultizurkian Underland".

"MadMan":
Now, there is a misunderstanding about "MadMan" that I would like to remove. Everybody should know that "MadMan" will be completely NEW, NOT like the old "MadMan", completely NO part of the "extremely obscure" stuff, completely NO part of the "ULTIZURK"-storyline. You should really try the new "MadMan", even if you have played the "ULTIZURK"-games and / or the old "MadMan".

As for renaming / a new title, I advice NOT to use "Heritage of Zurk" to avoid confusion with the 9 "ZURK"-games and these three games:
HERITAGE OF ZURK I: Elvenfire
HERITAGE OF ZURK II: The Crystal Mountains
HERITAGE OF ZURK III: The Moonbeam

Everybody on all threads about ANY games by Dr. Dungeon should know that the new "MadMan" will be completely NEW as mentioned above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom