Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Ultima Codex Interview: Serpent Isle Project Leader Bill Armintrout

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Origin Systems; Ultima VII: Serpent Isle

Today was the 20th anniversary of the release of Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle, a game which I personally consider to have been not just brilliantly designed, but also very much ahead of its time, presaging a type of CRPG that would not become common (at least in the West) until years later. To commemorate this event, the Ultima Codex conducted and published an extensive interview with Serpent Isle Project Leader Bill Armintrout. It's sort of a continuation of an earlier Q&A with him from way back in 2010, so you might want to read that first. Here are a select few questions from the interview:

UC: What do you think made Serpent Isle stand out from other RPGs and other Ultima from its time?

BA: First of all, the Serpent Isle team was almost entirely green (new to the software industry) — in some ways, that made us want to work hard as a team to make a great game. Second — and the credit for this primarily goes to Jeff George — we had a heck of a talented team, even if we were inexperienced as a group. Third — and this was mostly by accident — our team had an unusually long period to prepare, as we had to wait for Ultima VII to finish before we could really begin work. This meant we had an in-depth understanding of what the game engine and its tools could do. And lastly, we had a friendly rivalry with the Ultima VII team (Lord British’s team), and we were eager to “beat them” if we could.​

UC: How much was Richard Garriott involved in Serpent Isle’s development and design?

BA: As you may know, Jeff George originally wanted to do a pirate game, but was told that the next game had to be a direct sequel to Ultima VII. So the first Serpent Isle design work was about pirates in the Ultima world, with the “surprise” being that the players discover in the end that the winding continent they’re on is actually The Great Earth Serpent.​

When Jeff departed, Warren (our producer) let us know that the pirate idea was dead, too. He also told us that Richard Garriott wasn’t too excited about the whole “continent is the Great Earth Serpent” idea, so that was nixed, too.​

While the team was coming up with a new design, I arranged (through Warren) for Richard Garriott to visit Sheri Graner (my fellow designer) and I for an hour, to give us the direct insight on “what an Ultima was.” That was how Sheri and I learned the fundamentals of what Richard felt an Ultima should be.​

Later, when the initial design work was complete, we presented the document to our producer for approval. He said that he would send it along to Richard, but that he didn’t think Richard would like it. (Out producer mentioned then that he had hoped we might make an Ultima with a pro-ecological message instead.) So the team was waiting nervously for a few days, waiting for Richard’s verdict. At last, we were summoned to the producer’s office… and Richard was very excited with the design! (And gave us permission to kill off Dupre!)​

The only surprise? He said his only disappointment was that we hadn’t used the idea of the continent being The Great Earth Serpent!!!??? (A miscommuncation somewhere!)​

After this, Richard was entirely involved in his next project, Ultima VIII, so we didn’t see him after that.​

UC: Do you wish you could have worked on another Ultima game?

BA: I would have loved to work on another one, but I wasn’t in Lord British’s unit of the company (which made all the main Ultimas), and I was in another unit by then, which didn’t do Ultima sequels.​

Bill also answers some questions about Serpent Isle's infamously cut second half, tells a somewhat disturbing anecdote about a manager whose wife's portrait was used in the game, and even has a bit to say about the game's super-cheesy Frigidazzi sex scene, which apparently was very nearly cut.

The overall impression one gets from the interview is that Serpent Isle could easily have ended up as a disaster, but somehow, despite the chaotic environment of early 90s Origin and the inexperience of the development team, a strong artistic vision emerged and guided the team to success. If only that had continued with the rest of the Ultima series...

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I too would have found it cool to have the continent be the Great Earth Serpent. Ultima 7: Serpent Isle found a great balance of bringing something new to the table while still making it feel like an Ultima game. Too bad the same couldn't have been said for U8 and U9.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I too would have found it cool to have the continent be the Great Earth Serpent. Ultima 7: Serpent Isle found a great balance of bringing something new to the table while still making it feel like an Ultima game. Too bad the same couldn't have been said for U8 and U9.

I think using the map of the Lands of Danger and Despair was ultimately a cooler idea.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
What the fuck was up with Origin? So much general talent and potential floating around the place, and they spunked it up the wall in a clusterfuck of mismanagement.

Still, at least we got Serpent Isle. Fucking masterpiece.

Interesting interview. A true collaborative effort Serpent Isle was. I guess it was highly unlikely in the first place that the end product would turn out as well as it did.

Seems to me that both Richard Garriott and Warren Spector had very little to do with the actual substance of Serpent Isle. I always presumed Richard had more input on the Virtue side of things and Warren more on the character and story side, but it seems they were really just supervisors. Not a whole lot of credit to give there.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS MY SERPRNT ISLE PLAYTHROUGH HAS LAGGED BIUT THIS MAKES ME WANT TO GET BACK TO IT

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Interesting interview. A true collaborative effort Serpent Isle was. I guess it was highly unlikely in the first place that the end product would turn out as well as it did.

Seems to me that both Richard Garriott and Warren Spector had very little to do with the actual substance of Serpent Isle. I always presumed Richard had more input on the Virtue side of things and Warren more on the character and story side, but it seems they were really just supervisors. Not a whole lot of credit to give there.

I do think Warren Spector's presence had some effect. All three of the Ultima games whose development he lead (Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Serpent Isle) are noticeably similar to each other in some aspects, and noticeably distinct from Garriott's.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I do think Warren Spector's presence had some effect. All three of the Ultima games whose development he lead (Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Serpent Isle) are noticeably similar to each other in some aspects, and noticeably distinct from Garriott's.

I was going to say something similar. I think there has been a lot of Warren Spector bashing on this site, but the man's name is connected to a lot of well regarded games. Maybe he didn't code or write as much of the games as we had previously thought. If not, maybe his talents were in recognizing when the team he was managing was onto something and giving them room to make something great happen. Maybe he can recognize talent and put the right people in the right positions for the right amount of time. I've had a lot of bosses in my time, and it's rare that you find one who can properly organize and then will willingly leave things the F*@# alone when it's all humming along.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Still remember the first time i played Serpent Isle, a pirated copy a friend managed to backup on a bunch of floppy disks. One of the first games i played on my 486 DX2 66Mhz PC.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I stil have not played this, or any other Ultima game, for that matter (I played U5 remake, but only a little). Am I missing much?

In before "u a troll", my question is serious. I have little time to play RPGs and am looking for the best ones out there I did not yet have time to try/finish. How would You rate Ultima games as compared to other classics like Goldbox games, Dark Sun, Darklands, Realms of Arkania and Wizardries? Damn, I have a lot in my backlog...
I'm only considering U4 to U7, with U1-U3 being to quirky and U8/U9 supposedly sucking.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Ultima games are good for the open ended world and the putting together all the pieces of the puzzle gameplay. But they lack in combat (except U5) and interesting loot.
Also, I found U6 and U7, as the only DOS era games I've played the past couple of year, as virtually unplayable due to their UI. The Ultima 6 Project remake was brilliant though, and highly recommended.
All in all the Ultima game are more well rounded than for example the Gold Box game which mainly focus on combat, but the GB games do the combat so much better.

So I guess it all boils down to what you like in a CRPG. As classical dungeon crawlers where you kill monsters, develop your characters and find progressively better loot, the Ultima games leave a lot to be desired.

Of the games you mentioned the Ultimas are closest to Dark Sun: Shattered Lands.

IHow would You rate Ultima games as compared to other classics like Goldbox games, Dark Sun, Darklands, Realms of Arkania and Wizardries? .

I would rate them as all different.

You need to construct yourself a habit of trying out the things you wonder about. That's the only way to be informed.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I had time to try every game I want to, I would not be the frustrated and overworked everyday man that I am.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
You should try Ultima IV, it's a pretty unique game and the best introduction to the series (even if Ultima V is technically a much better game). Ultima: Underworld is another great place to start, it plays more like System Shock 1 in a fantasy dungeon than a classic Ultima game, but it's a freaking masterpiece and contains some hints to the Ultima lore scattered all around.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I like tactical turn-based play, with large parties and an immersive background. Ultima 4 was perfect for my younger self. Ultima 5 was great too. It's probably why I didn't like some of the later Ultimas as much. Now I find my older self digging the Gold Box games, original X-Com, Jagged Alliance and so on. For me, the tactical gameplay is the most important, followed by the feel of the backstory or immersion factor, then the size of the party and the interface.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
For me, it's fun. I know a lot of people diss blob combat because it isn't overly tactical, but I love it because it's fun for me. Thus I adore the Might and Magic games. I also LOVE a well-designed open world with lots of immershun and such, so I enjoyed Ultima VII too even though the combat was not fun at all, and the same goes for stuff like Morrowind and New Vegas.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For me, it's fun. I know a lot of people diss blob combat because it isn't overly tactical, but I love it because it's fun for me. Thus I adore the Might and Magic games.

I quite like the combat systems in Bard's Tale, MM1-2 and Wizardry 6-7. It's abstract, but it's still quite tactical and it's quick. MM3-5 was too simple, but it was quick, so it didn't get boring. Ultima IV had the worst kind of combat system: very slow and not very tactical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom