Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Online Codex Guild

Mustawd

Did you ever at least try to do it?

Nah. My friends who got me into UO kept telling me to look into it, but never did.

Why didn't I macro? I was never aware of any macro programs available and also it was a bannable offense. I don't hack. I never cheat in games--macroing in UO was exception. EQ, btw, is level-based. This is regarding the poster I responded to in my prior post--not you Mustawd.

Interesting. Never had an idea that macros were viewed as cheating. In UO, it was considered what the more advanced players did. At least that was my impression.

Did you ever at least try to do it?

Nah. My friends who got me into UO kept telling me to look into it, but never did.

Why didn't I macro? I was never aware of any macro programs available and also it was a bannable offense. I don't hack. I never cheat in games--macroing in UO was exception. EQ, btw, is level-based. This is regarding the poster I responded to in my prior post--not you Mustawd.

Interesting. Never had an idea that macros were viewed as cheating. In UO, it was considered what the more advanced players did. At least that was my impression.
Fletching I think was the only crafting skill I maxed legit. I clicked that thing thousands of times over and over and over. I have capped other crafting skills in EQ, but that was after mudflation and not maximum cap--without the aa's which max it.

And yes UO is unique in that macro's are a part of its culture. Even my old T2A manual has a subchapter about Macro's. HOwever, I think OSI never allowed the full-scale macro's which're allowed on some player-run servers. Macro's in the manual are simple things which don't grind a crafting skill for you--just string commands together for a multi-purpose click or keybind. On player-run servers macro's evolved to become fully automated processes which could play your c haracter for you in limited circumstnaces/scenarios.

EQ might be similar. Interestingly, macro's ARE ALLOWED on some EQ emulated servers. I was speaking specifically of the live servers. On emulated servers, some of them do allow you to essentially automate your boxes with macro's. It's interesting both EQ and UO--officially on their live servers--disallowed the fully automated scripting which is sometimes allowed on player-run servers.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Thinking back, another reason I never looked into macros was that so many of them were combat-based and used for PvP. And seeing that I was playing on a 56k, I soon found any attempt at PvP was usually a laughable affair. So I mainly stuck to crafting, grinding, and solo questing a lot. But it was still a great multiplayer experience with the crafting and what not. I ended up with a ton of gold in the end.

Thinking back, another reason I never looked into macros was that so many of them were combat-based and used for PvP. And seeing that I was playing on a 56k, I soon found any attempt at PvP was usually a laughable affair. So I mainly stuck to crafting, grinding, and solo questing a lot. But it was still a great multiplayer experience with the crafting and what not. I ended up with a ton of gold in the end.
Do you understand the logic though that combat macro's are harder to write than crafting macro's? Now, I'm not denying you could macro a crafting skill which would also benefit you in PvP--like gaining strength or another combat stat. But how would you macro gaining swordsmanship or parrying? I know some macroers were very skilled at it. Maybe they figured out these things.

EDIT: I'm aware of some macroer's who play on EQ emulated servers who're able to essentially macro combat. They leave their toon somewhere--possibly predetermined--and it can survive there overnight with respawns. I'm not saying combat macros are impossible. But the one server I'm thinking of in particular also requires you be present--you can't leave it unattended.

Last edited:

Mustawd

No, it was more of a macro to switch equipment or whatever. I dunno. But I was aware of both crafting macros and combat-oriented macros. My point was to explain why my 16/17 yr old self found it too much of a hassle to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it was more of a macro to switch equipment or whatever. I dunno. But I was aware of both crafting macros and combat-oriented macros. My point was to explain why my 16/17 yr old self found it too much of a hassle to do it.
Did you play on any player-run servers?

I don't remember OSI ever allowing fully automated unattended macroes. It might have occured, but it was bannable, right? Do you remember it this way? You would have fit in better on OSI. I only played on OSI servers for a couple months.

There were also some player-run servers which were anti-macro. I played on a few of them intentionally to get away from macro-fatigue.

Last edited:

Mustawd

No. I played the regular retail version on the Chesapeake shard back in the day before 2.5D/3D came out and totally ruined the game for me.

No. I played the regular retail version on the Chesapeake shard back in the day before 2.5D/3D came out and totally ruined the game for me.
But wasn't fully automated unattended macroing bannable on OSI servers? I'm sure it was when I played--in 1999. The result is I only macro'd fully (and unattended) on player-run servers.

I think it's still bannable now--this is recent 2016:
http://stratics.com/threads/question-about-gm-warnings-ban.377880/

Last edited:
I"ve always wanted to play the modern version of UO but never get to it. Have you tried it?

And alos OP, I recommend these player-run servers:

(up through T2A--circa 1998) (afk macroing allowed only with Razor)
www.uosecondage.com
Rules: http://forums.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?p=16#p16

(up through Renaissance--circa 2000) (afk macroing allowed)
http://www.uorenaissance.com/
Rules: http://uorforum.com/threads/faq-frequently-asked-questions.1283/

If you try any, good luck with the client stability--uosecondage gave me trouble until I figured out a subtle way to fix the crash. This happend a long time ago though. I wish I could tell you more. It's hit or miss whether it works reliably. And I've never tried Renaissance, but from the looks of their website, it looks like it's well looked after. And given is circa 2000, it should fit what you're looking for.

Last edited:
WoW ended up folding and incorporating the main healing macro mod into its official interface (it was a macro mod that showed gave you a better overview of each party member's health/mana, lets you set an auto-flash-heal %hp for each party member, automatically selects the most mana-effective healing spell so you only have to choose between 'who do I flash heal and who do I mana-efficiently-heal), strings buffs together, autoselects the right anti-debuff spell, etc).

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
WoW ended up folding and incorporating the main healing macro mod into its official interface (it was a macro mod that showed gave you a better overview of each party member's health/mana, lets you set an auto-flash-heal %hp for each party member, automatically selects the most mana-effective healing spell so you only have to choose between 'who do I flash heal and who do I mana-efficiently-heal), strings buffs together, autoselects the right anti-debuff spell, etc).

wat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom