Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima IV Remastered now available for the C64

Mermaid

Literate
How would this 'arrangement' exactly work out by the way?

You give me your address in a PM here or on Facebook, and I send you a free 5,25" floppy disk with the game and a printed Ultima IV Remastered label (see the photo in my first post).

Hold on, the coder is a swede? Not that im surprised considering the strong following Commodore still have in Scandinavia..

Yes, Magervalp lives in Göteborg/Gothenburg. I lived in Skåne/Scania for a couple years before moving back to Norway.

Luzur

Good Sir
How would this 'arrangement' exactly work out by the way?

You give me your address in a PM here or on Facebook, and I send you a free 5,25" floppy disk with the game and a printed Ultima IV Remastered label (see the photo in my first post).

Hold on, the coder is a swede? Not that im surprised considering the strong following Commodore still have in Scandinavia..

Yes, Magervalp lives in Göteborg/Gothenburg. I lived in Skåne/Scania for a couple years before moving back to Norway.

MagerValp (SkinnyPuppy) kinda gave it away.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
A cartridge version? How much is that? And from where? And how would you update a cartridge version with bug fixes?

The game itself is free (we don't sell cartridges or disks, we're not making any money on this game) and the .crt image is included in the download, if you want to use the cartridge version you can either:

1) use the .crt file and mount it in a C64 emulator like Vice - unlike the disk images, loading will be instant, so if you're playing in an emulator I would use the cartridge version. You can find Vice for many different platforms here: http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/ - after Vice has started, select File -> Attach cartridge image -> CRT image, and then select the Ultima .crt image in the file requester.

2) flash the .crt image on an EasyFlash cartridge or any other piece of C64 hardware that supports the EasyFlash cartridge format. These cartridges can be reflashed on the Commodore 64 with updated versions of the games (or new games when you tire of the old ones). The latest version (the Easy Flash 3) has room for 7 EasyFlash cartridge images - it supports other cartridge formats as well, and has a few additional features. The Easy Flash 3 will set you back ~$65 fully assembled while older versions can be found fully assembled on ebay or elsewhere for around $36, even cheaper if you buy a build-it-yourself kit (~$25) or just the PCB+case (~$13). You would also need a way to transfer the file to your C64 for flashing (usually onto an SD card using an SD2IEC or similar solution for the C64, or a 3,5" 1581 floppy disk).

A few old games have been fixed for the EasyFlash, and at least one was specifically written for it, the C64 version of Prince of Persia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwHe4lO8as - it can be downloaded for free from http://csdb.dk/release/?id=102540 if you want to give it a try in the emulator. Commando Arcade, a completely rewritten version of Commando also has an EasyFlash version: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173 - if you search for easyflash on csdb.dk you will find a bunch of fixed games and compilations of games for the EF.

God bless you - thanks for posting. Will have a look at this over the weekend.

fatherom

Barely Literate
What is the preferred method for saving your game when using the CRT cartridge image in VICE? I don't know if I should use snapshots in VICE or the in-game "Quit and Save" (but then I don't know where the saved game ends up...)

Thanks,

Chris

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom