Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima 7 Alternate Font - And view angle change

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
vaJJ9.jpg

:bounce:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX8S9aAgvw

Finally! I can play the game without getting a migraine headache after 5 minutes.
http://smellsweird.com/exult/FONTS.ZIP
http://smellsweird.com/exult/FONTS-SI.ZIP

Just extract those files to the games' respective STATIC folders and overwrite the original files and you're good to go. This shit is from '08 and nobody told me. Better late than never I guess.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
For some reason, that doesn't bother me anymore. I always looked at screenshots of the game (and KOTC) and thought that it looked really weird and unnatural, but after playing it (and KOTC) for a little while, I don't even notice it anymore.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Between this and Exult I might actually get around to finishing U7 now.

Loses all its character. You can't play Ultima 7 without the gothic font just like you can't have the dialogue without the thees and thous

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nah, I disagree. The gothic font just makes the dialog annoyingly hard to read. There's really no reason for it other than flavor, and I'm sure if they had really worked at it they could have designed a gothic font that was still easy to read. I mean, it would be like if in Fallout the dialog window was all cracked and dirty so you couldn't read half the dialog, but hey at least it has character!

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
I believe I already stated this in the Ultima 6 remake topic: readability always trumps flavour. Fucking up the text is completely avoidable and should never ever happen. Gothic fonts are annoying enough on their own, but in low resolution as well? That's just tragic. If you are ready to give up functionality for swirly text, that's cool for you. It's not for me.

I guess it is a bit more bearable with those smoothing filters, but I'd rather die than use one of those. So this small mod is actually a really big deal for me.

Except you people are missing the point that not everyone has trouble reading it. I find it more irritating reading large quantities of small, high contrast text (many modern games) than small quantities of large, decorative text.

made

Arcane
That font is plain ugly. Want to make it more readable for the next-gen audiece? Fine, but pick a font that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and completely kills the atmosphere.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Except you people are missing the point that not everyone has trouble reading it. I find it more irritating reading large quantities of small, high contrast text (many modern games) than small quantities of large, decorative text.
I think you are missing the point that some people have trouble reading it. You don't - congratulations. I do. So I'm overjoyed at this.

I'm not telling you you can't change the font. Go ahead

Personally I would like to see all in-game text in runic or ophidian

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, that 3D render project was... interesting.
It was, but it was also far too little 'decorative detail on certain directions unless they redesigned a lot of maps.

Still, i think they could get away with it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That looks much better. Exult, right?

That is just a rotated picture. That is not an in game shot.

Too bad...

If I remember reading the dev comments correctly, changing the angle to this in Exult is theoretically possible, however the massive processing power required to do that would basically render the entire game unplayable at this current time. Something like that sadly.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Thanks for bringing the news! I was always somewhat irritated by the original font after longer sessions with the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom