Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima 6 Lord British "Interview"

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought some of the hivemind might like to have access to this "interview". I have no idea if this is available elsewhere.

I recently obtained an original Ultima VI Signature Edition that included the cassette tape of Richard G. aka Lord British talking about the Ultima games. I converted it to an Mp3 file and put it on Megaupload.

Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KGJVSETN
Part 2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AGYNPT5F

He was only 28 at the time and the Ultima series was already celebrating it's 10th year anniversary. I found it interesting and curious what others might think.

:Discuss:

Phelot

Arcane
Fucking awesome! Thanks man, this is a piece of RPG history!

Really cool listening to this.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
phelot said:
EDIT: Hey mindx2, do you have the next part? It cuts off

Sorry haven't converted side two yet. I'll have it up shortly and post the link.

EDIT: Here is the second part and I also edited the first post to show both links.

Here he talks about Ultimas 4 thru 6 and at the very end gives hints to help the player in Ultima 6.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AGYNPT5F

CrimHead

Scholar
LB is a pretty cool dude but his erratic behavior and reported LARP parties make his sexuality highly suspect.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
CrimHead said:
LB is a pretty cool dude but his erratic behavior and reported LARP parties make his sexuality highly suspect.

I didn't do a google search, but was he ever or is he married?

mindx2

Patron

CrimHead

Scholar
Many faggots live married lives to disguise their insecurities. Obvious cover up is obvious.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
mindx2 said:
Jaesun said:
CrimHead said:

I didn't do a google search, but was he ever or is he married?

As of 2008 this article states he lives with his girlfriend Kelly and her daughter in Austin, TX.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article4907307.ece

ahh ok interesting. Was he ever married though?

Anyways thank you for the audio recording. Great stuff!

Phelot

Arcane
I didn't get a chance to listen to part two, but part one was really interesting.

If I'm hearing right then Lord British and some other guy invented tile based environments.

Also having the game world print out every turn would be pretty awesome for the time

:thumbsup:

Saxon1974

Prophet
Great! Thanks so much for providing mindx2!

Amazing that he did all these great games when he was so young....unfortunately he used up all his genuis by age 30

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Amazing that he did all these great games when he was so young....unfortunately he used up all his genuis by age 30

I think it was more of Origin slowly destroying it's self as well as The Guardian, The Destroyer of Worlds.....

VII was the last time he was allowed to exorcise his vision. VIII and IX just did not fit within a corporate structure and allowed to be fully developed as he wished, and that was what we were left with. Had Gariott been allowed to finish what he wanted to with VIII and IX, we can only speculate, but it would be amazing to see what that would have been.

Too bad he could not just start a new IP fresh, and by himself without the influence of a Publisher. Too bad VD can't get him on board with ITS. :D

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Thanks bro, you're a pretty cool guy. I'm looking forward to listening to the interview but right now I have to go lay some cable.

comradesean

Novice
mindx2, Any chance you could provide high quality scans of both sides of the cassette?

pippin

If anyone's interested, the interview comes as an extra when you buy U6 on GOG.

comradesean

Novice
mindx2, Any chance you could provide high quality scans of both sides of the cassette?
Sure but may I ask what you need them for?

I've been working on this personal project where I've been archiving and scanning floppies, manuals, boxes and any other trinkets included. (Only unmodified and original disks too).

I actually managed to find a special edition U6 on eBay last week, but the cassette was a duplicate for some reason. I also can't seem to find any good photos of both sides of the cassette anywhere online.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Sure but may I ask what you need them for?

If anyone's interested, the interview comes as an extra when you buy U6 on GOG.
Wonder where they got their copy from... JudasIscariot?
Pix's Origin Adventures, if it's the two-part interview I am thinking of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom