Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO:Aftermath interview if you care

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Read it at Gamers Pulse

Another interesting thing is our turn-based system with simultaneous turns, which features all of the best elements of both turn based and real time combat systems. You give orders while the game is paused, to avoid the frantic rush of a real time system. While paused, you can give your troops very detailed orders, taking as much time as you like. Once you are finished, you simply tell the game to start. Once the game is underway, you can pause the game at any point to update or change your orders, and the game will automatically pause when important events occur, so that you may modify your plans accordingly. Be sure to note that all of the combat happens at once, combining the finely grained tactics of a turn based game with the realism of a real time system.
TB with simultaneous turns sounds too much like RT with pause, but overall it looks good. Check the screens http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/headquarters.html

Araanor

Liturgist
Another interesting thing is our turn-based system with simultaneous turns

Marketing-speak annoys me, they should just state right out what it is, X-Com fans aren't stupid.

Apocalypse without speed-controls? Is the terrain even destroyable?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You know what gets me is that some people out there ARE that stupid. I've even had BG fans argue with me that BG was turn based.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Another interesting thing is our turn-based system with simultaneous turns, which features all of the best elements of both turn based and real time combat systems. You give orders while the game is paused, to avoid the frantic rush of a real time system. While paused, you can give your troops very detailed orders, taking as much time as you like. Once you are finished, you simply tell the game to start. Once the game is underway, you can pause the game at any point to update or change your orders, and the game will automatically pause when important events occur, so that you may modify your plans accordingly. Be sure to note that all of the combat happens at once, combining the finely grained tactics of a turn based game with the realism of a real time system.

Translation: Another thing we ripped off from other games is our real-time with pause, which features all of the worst elements of real time combat pretending to be turn based. You give orders while the game is paused, to avoid the frantic click-click-click of a real time Diablo-esque system. While paused, you can give your troops very detailed orders, taking as much time as you like. Once you are finished, you simply tell the game to start. Once the game is unpaused, all your detailed orders get fucked up by the game so you have to pause again a second later to fix up all your orders. The game will also automatically crash to the desktop when important events occur, so that you may escape from the boredom. Be sure to note that we're pretending this is turn-based so that all the fans that have been wanting turn-based combat for this game don't get all huffy on us. Again, all of the combat in the entire game happens in two seconds, combining the finely grained tactics of a turn based game with the Diablo real time play that we think sells.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
pause and play in an X-Com game - is nothing sacred?
I thought they were doing something like Combat Mission where you issue orders at your leisure and then a minute long resolution phase plays out during which you cannot interfere or change orders.
still not what an X-Com game should be (straight tb) but it is really pretty goddamned fun in CM and heaps better than more fucking pause and fucking play.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Crazy Tuvok said:
pause and play in an X-Com game - is nothing sacred?
I thought they were doing something like Combat Mission where you issue orders at your leisure and then a minute long resolution phase plays out during which you cannot interfere or change orders.
still not what an X-Com game should be (straight tb) but it is really pretty goddamned fun in CM and heaps better than more fucking pause and fucking play.

The best part is that on their forum, there's a huge, HUGE thread about how people want turn based in the game, which I'm guessing is why they renamed it, simultaneous turn based instead of calling it real time with pause, which is what it is.

A real time with pause X-Com isn't as bad as trying to cover it up by calling it something it's not.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
A real time with pause X-Com isn't as bad as trying to cover it up by calling it something it's not.

yeah it is. well no I guess the bullshit is worse than the prostituion

coming next..playable races!!!

anyone ever see that Seinfeld episode with George's dad yelling: "Serenity Now!!"?

my new mantra is : "Troika Now!!"

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Crazy Tuvok said:
yeah it is. well no I guess the bullshit is worse than the prostituion

It's the bullshit after the fact of the prostitution that bugs me. It's like:

Customer: Does this have banana split have bananas?
Clerk: No, it doesn't. But it's just as good with the cantelope.
Customer: Well, screw that. I want bananas in my banana split.
Clerk: OH! Well, did I say cantelope? I ment BANANA MELON!
Customer: Ummmm...

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
on top of which (forgive the topping pun) they then try to convince you that not only is the Bananna Melon the best but what you really wanted all along!!

Saint you don't often crack me up, but your last post fucking floored me.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Crazy Tuvok said:
on top of which (forgive the topping pun) they then try to convince you that not only is the Bananna Melon the best but what you really wanted all along!!

You know what's going to be the best part, once this game comes out.. Head over to the forums and just wait for all the, WTF? Where's the turn based?! threads from the X-Com fans who didn't pay enough attention to the interviews.

Saint you don't often crack me up, but your last post fucking floored me.

I have my moments.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
I agree. I am sick and tired of all the bullshit, lies, and misleading. Soon I'd have to start calling a lawyer to help me figure out a press-release.

Raymondo

Liturgist
It sickens me this why to they have to mess with the TB games by making them CTB or RTTB or whatever they want to call it, Xcom was great because of its TB combat system and now they have to fuck it up. Whats next Xcom enforcer, oh wait they already did that!

Anyway can you still blow up walls and ceilings and shit?

Araanor

Liturgist
By all signs of it, you can't. The 3d maps look static. But then I haven't been interested enough to read up on the game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom