Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ubisoft fucks over legit customers... again

Luzur

Good Sir
LOL this is why the old ways of buying gameboxes in stores is still the superior way.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
LOL this is why the old ways of buying gameboxes in stores is still the superior way.

Which is why they won't let us do it anymore. You just get the DVD case, if you're lucky. With some shitty "quick start guide" in. Like someone too fucking stupid to know how autorun works is going to buy it in the first place.

Luzur

Good Sir

Which is why they won't let us do it anymore. You just get the DVD case, if you're lucky. With some shitty "quick start guide" in. Like someone too fucking stupid to know how autorun works is going to buy it in the first place.

I know, my friend is into PS4, and i was watching him looking through the Playstation Online Shop one time and most games had full retail prices like 109 USD for a special edition game (you got some clothes or something with it) or 84 USD for Evil Within standard game, and all you get for that is a file to download, geez back in the day you got a nice gamebox with game, maybe t-shirt/cloth-map/bauble/sword along with a hefty manual which had nice plot/world/spell/monster descriptions for the same price, and you could install and reinstall the game as long as the disk/cd worked, and not by even a far chance could any game company shut you down.

LOL i hope modern game companies get sunk by pirates, real and internet ones.

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I know, my friend is into PS4, and i was watching him looking through the Playstation Online Shop one time and most games had full retail prices like 109 USD for a special edition game (you got some clothes or something with it) or 84 USD for Evil Within standard game, and all you get for that is a file to download, geez back in the day you got a nice gamebox with game, maybe t-shirt/cloth-map/bauble/sword along with a hefty manual which had nice plot/world/spell/monster descriptions for the same price, and you could install and reinstall the game as long as the disk/cd worked, and not by even a far chance could any game company shut you down.

black-preacher-meme-generator-preach-it-brother-84c7bf.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane

You don't get it, man. Digital distribution is good for you and is designed only with you in mind. It cuts out the middle man so that quality rich content can be delivered to you safer and faster. Game companies who work hard for you also spend less money so that as much resources as possible are put into creating new and exciting content. Don't get left behind, join the revolution for a brighter future!

Luzur

Good Sir

You don't get it, man. Digital distribution is good for you and is designed only with you in mind. It cuts out the middle man so that quality rich content can be delivered to you safer and faster. Game companies who work hard for you also spend less money so that as much resources as possible are put into creating new and exciting content. Don't get left behind, join the revolution for a brighter future!

Join this Revolution!

*grabs crotch*

pippin

Last time I went to a game store, they only sold physical copies of Diablo 2+3, WoW and Mass Effect 2. Practically that.
To be fair they used to sell better games, mostly from the early 00s with some late 90s flavor thrown in. I remember buying physical copies of games like Empire Earth, Civ3, Ground Control, etc. But no one seems to bother with pc games anymore, today it's mostly console crap.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I don't bother going to gaming stores nowdays either. You're likely to get a tiny selection of ancient PC games still being sold at release prices.

Dunno if they just don't care about PC anymore or if Steam games going for $5 made people stop buying retail.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
a tiny selection of ancient PC games

If only I'd find such stores anymore. Interestingly when I still lived in thirdworldia I did occasionally find old games in the the most unexpected places. The wonders of the third-world, I guess.

Now in Netherlands.. pfft, this is popamole country.

Shannow

Waster of Time
But no one seems to bother with pc games anymore, today it's mostly console crap.

We now have Kickstarter... :smug:*

At least for now but I hope/pray that HBS new aversion to physical won't catch on with other studios!!!
Well, there is always good and bad, give and take.
Physical boxes were overall nicer. With all the goodies they could contain. There was no bullshit about reducing the number of installs, or the the number of installable machines. Nobody prevented you from reselling your games. You could borrow them to your friends. Nobody'd remotely delete your games simply because they felt like it and had the power to do so.
On the other hand, CDs, DVDs (and floppies [and cassetts] ;) ) can break or get lost and nobody will bother to replace them for free for you. Some of the copy-protections are/were DRM-level bad.
Online stores like GoG seem fine to me. They lack the physical goodies but try to make up with digital ones. Everything else is possible as it was with non-DRM-disks. Though one can debate the morality of giving/selling your friends copies of the games when you also keep one. It has the advantage of having a copy available as long as you have internet connection. While GoG might also shut down your acc or certain games if they perceive fraudulent behavior, I haven't heard of such so far. And as long as you've already downloaded the games they can't keeep you from playing them.

TL/DR: I miss the good old times though I do not see them as without disadvantages. I do not like where things have gone, but there are acceptable options, IMO.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Not good old games, mind you. Things like Ultimate Spider-man or CoD 1 box set. Pretty much the popamole from last decade. I wish they sold stuff like Arcanum and the like. I'd pay double the price of a new release for boxed copies of that kind of game.

I recently found copies of Pharoah, Zues, Homeworld 2 and Emporer Rise of the Middle Kingdom for dirt cheap on sale at a convenience store. The equivalent of about $1 each. That was a nice surprise.

Shannow

Waster of Time
a tiny selection of ancient PC games

If only I'd find such stores anymore. Interestingly when I still lived in thirdworldia I did occasionally find old games in the the most unexpected places. The wonders of the third-world, I guess.

Now in Netherlands.. pfft, this is popamole country.
You could zip over to germany, if it's not too far. In big shops like mediamarkt the PC section is usually ~1/6-1/4 of the gaming section. With lots of stuff apart from D3, WoW, etc.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's a Media Markt in Netherlands too. I don't know if it's the same company but I didn't find anything there. Anyway, do they have older stuff there then? And aren't they all in German?

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's a Media Markt in Netherlands too. I don't know if it's the same company but I didn't find anything there. Anyway, do they have older stuff there then? And aren't they all in German?

I recently bought a copy of Jagged Alliance 2 in the Media Markt of Saarbrücken, and it is multilanguage.

bloodlover

Arcane
Suddenly I feel good for living on a shitty country in Eastern Europe where I can buy boxed Fallout 1+2+Tactics or Deus Ex for 8-10 euros each.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Pfft, Potato Master Race all the way. In our media shops at least 1/2 of games are for PC.
Also, if statistics are to be believed, 92% Polish gamers play on PC and only 36% on consoles. Polant stronk! (cue Polandball)

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
It's always hit and miss. (Personally I have all the older stuff I want, so I pay little attention.)
The GreenPepper stuff is all old at budget-prices. Usually there'll also be other "old" games.

What caught my eye the last time I looked:
G2NtR
Dragon Age: Origins
New Vegas
The Guild (2)
King's Bounty Box
HoMM 3+

Basically classics from the late 90s to popular games from the Age of Decline can be found. With more obscure titles mixed in.

Games that were never translated and games that were always multi-language will be available in English. No guarantees on this though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom