Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ubisoft fucks over legit customers... again

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well people have been warned countless times that buying from unauthorized resellers is a bad idea. They didn't want to listen when Rebellion started revoking keys. They didn't want to listen when Devolver digital started revoking keys. Will they listen now that Ubisoft is revoking keys?

You only have yourself to blame if you think buying from the grey market is legit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
20150125.png

Astral Rag

Arcane
I’m one of the people that lost a game, specifically Far Cry 4. I got the game for free from NVIDIA when I bought a GTX 970 from Amazon (there was some promo running, I don’t know if it’s still active). Claimed the game on UPlay and everything worked fine. Logged in yesterday and the game was gone. Still no answer on the support ticket I created, although to be fair they did say it would take one or two business day and that was only yesterday, so I’ll wait.

I seriously doubt that the NVIDIA promo on Amazon was a “fraudulent reseller” and it looks to me as if they went a bit overboard when removing games. They either simply messed up or there’s no way for them to distinguish between one reseller or another. Either way, way to start the new year, Ubi!

:what:

Found this comment under this RPS article

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They finally figured the path to completely stop piracy: make their games unavailable to everybody.
Next step: go out of business.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even people that actually bought the game directly through Uplay are getting it revoked :lol:

You can't make this kind of shit up :) Some friends of mine got FC4, majority got it cheap from sites like G2A and 1 bought from directly Uplay.
Guess whose game is banned.:lol:

Also I got free AC unity thanks to my GTX 980, haven't checked it after finished it, I wonder if same thing happend to me.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Well people have been warned countless times that buying from unauthorized resellers is a bad idea. They didn't want to listen when Rebellion started revoking keys. They didn't want to listen when Devolver digital started revoking keys. Will they listen now that Ubisoft is revoking keys?
Yeah, I've told people countless times to not buy Ubisoft games and pirate them instead.
They didn't listen so now they have what they wanted.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
That's what I found the most weird. The fact that people still buy Ubisoft games. They haven't really released anything worth playing since Chaos Theory (unless I missed something).

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Doesn't matter if it's worth it or not.
Both Unity and Far Cry 4 are single player games, is wonky at best and apart from that - you're only loosing microtransactions(woah, what a loss). Why would you not pirate them if their DRM fucks you in the ass?
I've picked Blood Dragon for $5 and had to pirate it because Uplay is so terrible. I mean I didn't cared because it's just $5 but I would be mad if I bought $50 brand new game.

When pirating is more convenient than original copy, why the fuck would I buy the game?

Astral Rag

Arcane
That's what I found the most weird. The fact that people still buy Ubisoft games.
Yeah the mind boggles.

They haven't really released anything worth playing since Chaos Theory (unless I missed something).

The recent Rayman games are certainly worth playing if you're into that sort of thing. One of them even works without first having to install the uplay spyware suite.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
I’m one of the people that lost a game, specifically Far Cry 4. I got the game for free from NVIDIA when I bought a GTX 970 from Amazon (there was some promo running, I don’t know if it’s still active). Claimed the game on UPlay and everything worked fine. Logged in yesterday and the game was gone. Still no answer on the support ticket I created, although to be fair they did say it would take one or two business day and that was only yesterday, so I’ll wait.

I seriously doubt that the NVIDIA promo on Amazon was a “fraudulent reseller” and it looks to me as if they went a bit overboard when removing games. They either simply messed up or there’s no way for them to distinguish between one reseller or another. Either way, way to start the new year, Ubi!

:what:

Found this comment under this RPS article
3179wd0.png

Even people that actually bought the game directly through Uplay are getting it revoked :lol:
Now Uplay - now Udon't.
:hero:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Does anyone remember the days when Activision solely attracted the ire of the videogaming community?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, but it seems the general gaming public can only focus on one bad guy at the time. First it was Activision, then they started hating EA, now EA can breathe a sigh of relief as the behemoth turns its gaze to Ubisoft.

The codex doesn't count. We hate everyone equally.

Mortmal

Arcane
That's what I found the most weird. The fact that people still buy Ubisoft games. They haven't really released anything worth playing since Chaos Theory (unless I missed something).

Your tastes(and mine) are irrelevant, UBI is a big industry seeling mainstream stuff to mainstream and casual gamers. Their games are completely worth it and specially designed with care for them. In fact UBI is a good value, buy at the morning around 10 am , sell it higher around 3pm , or even mutiple times a day as its very volatile.

Gerrard

Arcane
But they are completely fine with still selling games that no longer work thanks to Uplay updates

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most of their high level AAA games last year went to shit cause of online innovation bullshit experimenting, ie how to squeeze more money. They still made smaller cooler games like Trials and those 2 adventure games for 15 bucks. Im still a Trials addict since they released it 8 months ago.

Out of 24 Ubi games I got on uPlay and I got some stuff like Watch dogs and AC4 from G2A, not a single game has been revoked yet.
Seems they only targeting keys bought with stolen credit cards. There will always be some fuck ups.

Norfleet

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me. We download and play it and don't give a hoot.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ght-from-eas-origin-using-stolen-credit-cards

Deactivated Ubisoft game keys were bought from EA's Origin using stolen credit cards
Third-party sites promise refunds.

Earlier this week Ubisoft caused a stir when it deactivated a number of keys for its games, such as open-world first-person shooter Far Cry 4, without telling players first.

jpg

The move meant many found some games had disappeared from their Uplay libraries - and they were quick to express their anger on the Ubisoft forum.

At the time Ubisoft said it had targeted keys fraudulently obtained and resold. Now, it's added to that statement, saying the deactivated keys were bought from EA's Origin platform using stolen credit cards. In fact, it was EA who notified Ubisoft of the situation.

"We strongly recommend that players purchase keys and downloadable games only from the Uplay Store or their trusted retailers," a Ubisoft spokesperson said in a statement issued to Eurogamer.

"We regularly work with our authorised resellers to identify and deactivate fraudulently obtained and resold keys.

"In this case, we confirmed activation keys were recently purchased from EA's Origin store using fraudulent credit card information and then resold online. These keys may have been deactivated. Customers who may have been impacted should contact the vendor where they purchased the key for a refund."

Ubisoft's statement points the finger of blame squarely at third-party key sellers, such as Kinguin and G2A, which is where these deactivated keys were purchased.

In an email exchange with Eurogamer following Ubisoft's initial statement on the matter, Kinguin chief marketing officer Bartłomiej Skarbiński accused Ubisoft of having "no legal basis" for its action.

Skarbiński suggested Ubisoft and other big game publishers were battling against "demands for fair pricing of digital products worldwide", and ignoring "rights for reselling used digital downloaded games".

"The current case raised by Ubisoft is surely unfair towards the players," Skarbiński said.

"The banned game copies in question were acquired through licensed wholesale distributors and as such the origin of the keys is the publisher himself.

"From the gamer point of view its like going out to the store, purchasing a copy of the game, taking it home and suddenly a knock-knock on the door with Ubisoft representative taking the copy away - not even asking you as a paying customer to return it.

"We believe Ubisoft had no legal basis for its action. They did it just because they simply can. Kinguin of course is not going to challenge Ubisoft in court as we are not match up for these giants. We will continue to focus on customer's satisfaction and our customers know we have never let them down."

Of course, the revelation that the deactivated keys were bought from Origin using stolen credit cards and resold on third-party sites casts doubt on Kinguin's statement. And in an updated note sent to Eurogamer this morning, Skarbiński said those affected by deactivated keys should contact Kinguin customer support for help. He vowed to "help everyone affected by this unpleasant situation".

Kinguin isn't the only third-party website affected by recent developments. G2A, which works like an eBay for video game keys, has also been implicated as part of Ubisoft's game key cull.

Eurogamer had contacted G2A for comment, but failed to receive a response. Then, yesterday, the company issued a statement on Facebook, promising to compensate customers who've had their keys deactivated.

"G2A.COM will make every possible exertion to prevent this kind of procedures in the future and exclude merchants responsible for such incidents from the marketplace," the company said.

Sites such as Kinguin and G2A remain popular because they offer game keys much cheaper than official platforms, such as Steam, Uplay and Origin. You can pick up a Far Cry 4 Uplay key from G2A for just £25.12. The game costs £44.99 from Uplay.

Meanwhile, Ubisoft games Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed: Unity have been removed from Origin. An EA spokesperson issued Eurogamer the following statement:

"A number of activation keys for Ubisoft products were purchased from Origin using fraudulent credit cards, and then resold online. We identified the unauthorised keys and notified Ubisoft.

"If you are having trouble with an activation key, we recommend you contact the vendor who sold it to you for a refund. We strongly advise players only purchase keys from Origin or trusted resellers. More information on our policy is available here:http://help.ea.com/en/article/should-i-purchase-my-ea-downloadable-games-from-cd-key-sellers/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom