Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultima U5 Lazarus Recommended Mods

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Thought I'd put together a little list of the mods I use in Ultima V: Lazarus. I've done a fair bit of research on this topic and I thought it would be nice to immortalize it somewhere. This list is based on the mods available at the excellent Sylore's Mod Guide.

Lazarus v1.2_Bugfix & Mod Collection v1.29
    The most essential mod. You can install everything from here. However, if you're a purist, you might wish to avoid these two:

modcompatibility_addon_cheerfuls_silver+glasssword_mod.dsres - Grants silver swords a small bonus vs. undead and upgrades the glass swords' damage.
    mod_ranged_throwing_axe.dsres - Allows you to throw throwing axes, but since the DS engine doesn't really support throwing weapons they function like a weaker Magic Axe that returns like a boomerang.​

New Spell Scroll Icons And Names V2
    Spell scrolls in your inventory also display the spell name in English (and not just the Britannian magic syllables).

Not much to say about this, just a spellbook with prettier graphics.

Take All button for Containers
    Self-explanatory. Take all items with one click.

GQ Potions Show Effect Names V2
    Potions in your inventory display their effect (and not just their color).

Enhanced Graphics Mod
    The other most essential mod. A comprehensive texture upgrade.

Alfie's Camera mod for Lazarus
    Yet another essential mod. It allows greater control over the game's camera (zoom and angle) and also greatly increases the view distance. Personally, I recommend allowing the full range of camera angles, but not touching the zoom controls. The game isn't meant to look like an RTS.

Grail Quest’s Mod Package
    An "Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul"-style game rebalancing modpack that was abandoned sometime in 2006. I avoid most of the mods here, but there are a few good convenience mods to be scavenged:

GQ Insect Swarms Easier to Spot.dsres - Larger model for the insect swarm enemies, making them easier to click on.
    GQ Reagent Sources Highlighted.dsres - Highlights reagent sources in the wild, making them easier to find. May look a bit silly together with the Camera mod - you see reagents lighting up the world like spotlights.
    GQ Some Creatures Auto-Drop Treasure.dsres - Makes some monsters drop their treasure when you kill them instead of having to loot their corpses. Makes for a bit less clicking.​

----------------------------------------------------

Other possibly interesting mods (I don't use these):

Lazarus More Members Beta
    Allows you to have a party of eight instead of just six like in original U5. More party dialogues!

GQ Expanded Summoned Beast Results V2
    Enhances the game's "Summon Creature" spell, allowing a greater variety of summoned beasts.

From Grail Quest’s Mod Package:
    GQ Spell Damage Calculation Fix.dsres - Claims to fix a spell damage calculation bug in the game, but I'm not sure it's legit - else it would have been added to the Bugfix modpack by now.​

Gauche Shield
    Adds a main gauche to the game that's actually a shield, so you can "dual wield" it (Dungeon Siege doesn't support true dual wielding).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    How compatible are Grail Quests mods to the latest Lazarus release? And how stable is the More Members mod? No bugs spotted so far?

^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Sylore's page says which mods conflict with each other. The More Members mod seems to be stable. Unfortunately the original Lazarus forums were shut down some time ago and much information on these things was lost.

^ Top  
  4. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Thanks. I hoped for some firsthand experience since the date mentinoned on the site for More Members is from 2008 and it's called a beta. Good find neverless and I will try it next time :salute:

^ Top  
  5. Garm Learned

Garm
    Parrots:
    Nice thread, I just bought the Dungeon Siege collection with the intent to play U5:salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    That's why I posted this today. :salute:

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    SOMETHING HAS CHANGED.

Maybe this can be stickied now? :smug:

^ Top  
  8. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I detest multiple stickies, if however you want to start a "Classic cRPG Mod/Patch list" that would be fine.

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Updated OP with new improved camera mod.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Grape_You_In_the_Mouth Learned

Grape_You_In_the_Mouth
    Parrots:
    Has anyone tried editing the portraits using the tool? I couldn't get it to work, though I found an easy online converter at
    www.go2convert.com/
    and an easy image editor online at
    pixlr.com/editor/
    The portraits aren't awful but there's so much good artwork on the net it's almost inexcusable for me to not have a main character that looks totally badass and/or hot.

^ Top  
  11. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I wasn't even aware there existed mods for modding modded games. It seems somewhat like writing a fan fiction based on another fan fiction, based on a reboot of a remake of a film which was originally a pulp novel series.

^ Top  
  12. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Does anyone know what happened to NuVIe? They haven't updated in a while. Was really looking forward to that, they made some brilliant changes to the engine.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    It's not dead, they're still checking in new code: http://sourceforge.net/p/nuvie/code/1726/tree/

^ Top  
  14. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Whoa. That's some good news. Hehe, every time I look at the screenshots I drool.

^ Top  
  15. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    You've somewhat redeemed yourself in my eyes. ;)

U5:L and U6P are some of my favorite (dare I say Ultima) games made and I hope NuVie is completed.

^ Top  
  16. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Redeemed myself eh? Ummm....thanks?

But yes speaking of better games, Ultima 5, 6 and 7. Can't even put into words how happy I was when I saw them on GoG. Ultima 7 is a personal favorite, just because of it's humor. Love the blatant mockery it makes of Scientology.
    Can't wait for Nuvie though, the alterations they have made look really true to the original, almost like an official patch..Trying to go back to Ultima 6 now is really difficult - navigating the menus in that game...ugh.
    I know the focus right now is only on U6, but if they managed to get Savage Empire and Martian Dreams working on the same level that would be so awesome.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    ^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Whoops! It turns out I was linking to an incompatible version of the "Take All button for Containers" mod all this time. Updated OP.

^ Top  
  18. Jrpgfan Learned

Jrpgfan
    Parrots:
    Sorry for necroing this thread.

I was never able to play the Lazarus mod because my dungeon siege client always crashed before even getting to the menu screen. Recently I gave it another try and after changing some stuff I was able to get to the menu, but when I click to start a new game, it gets me to the game options menu. Does anyone know how to fix it? I looked everywhere for a solution but couldn't find anything.

EDIT. Nevermind. The game just decided to magically work.

I swear I shed a tear of happiness here. Been trying to play this shit for so fucking long.

^ Top  
  19. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Enjoy it... it's one of the best "mods" to a game ever put out on the Interwebz and turned out to be a hell of a good Ultima game in it's own rite. Still can't wrap my head around how they could have done so well with the Dungeon Siege engine of all things but man I enjoyed playing it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)