Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima U5: Lazarus and Mass Effect: Andromeda lead designer Ian Frazier asking about remaking Ultima

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ultima feels in many ways like a relic from another time, its such a strange mix of different elements .. sometimes cheesy 80s schlock par excellence, then taking itself very seriously, sometimes very nice and lighthearted, then offering sex, dark rituals and child murder. Particularly the virtue system, as much as I love it, it is something that I don't think can be translated appropriately to current sensibilities. They did wonderful and thought provoking things with it back then but I think it would seem out of place in a modern game.

Edit: Our best chance for a new Ultima would probably be if Larian got a hold of the rights.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
I'm waitin to see how that next Divinity game turns out, clear that Svens tryin to work up to makin an Ultima like, an original Div Div felt like closest homage to it i've played. Either way its gotta be a passion project, big firms'll make too many compromises for accessibility an streamlinin an lose spirit o game. Wunt be no sextant an map, there'd be quest markers. Wunt be no simple but powerful Name, Job, Bye, there'd be a dialogue wheel wi usual squeein cheese. Wunt be no realistic inventory an weight limits, there'd be an infinite list o loot to encourage usual time wastin.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Particularly the virtue system, as much as I love it, it is something that I don't think can be translated appropriately to current sensibilities.

IDGAF about modern sensibilities. It's not like newer RPG's were more thought-provoking than Ultima, certainly not the edgier titles (Witcher, new Fallouts).

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
As I already said, I love the virtue system and I wrote in some other thread about U4, that I think its pretty much one of the most genius ideas in the history of this medium.

Nonetheless, lets be honest - back in the day they were able to use the virtue system to tell very interesting and deep stories, the system itself however, if you really think about it, is a pretty arbitrary and simplistic ethics 101. I just don't think that, for example, 'becoming the avatar of spirituality' is something that blows the minds of people in the age of morally grey grimdarkness. Likewise, does the assignment of virtues to cities and classes seem like something thats very arbitrary and artificial. In fact, the whole way Sosaria is set up always felt pretty artificial.

The Digital Antiquarian said:
As a system of belief, it’s perhaps not exactly compelling for an adult (although, hey, cults have been founded on less). As an ethical philosophy… well, let’s just say that Richard Garriott is unlikely to ever rival Kant in university philosophy curricula. There are plenty of points to quibble about: Honesty, Compassion, and Valor are, at least in this formulation, really just synonyms for the core principles that supposedly compose them; the idea that Spirituality is made up of all the virtues lumped together seems kind of strange, as does its presence at all given Richard’s determinedly materialist worldview; the idea of Humility as literally an ethical vacuum seems truly bizarre. (Richard later clarified in interviews that he would have preferred this latter to be Pride, but, “Pride not being a virtue, we have to use Humility”; make of that what you will.) And of course the names of the virtues themselves are rather painfully redolent of the life of a Dungeons and Dragons-obsessed teenager. But poking holes in the system is really missing the point. Ultima IV gave its audience permission to think about these things, laid out in a cool if only superficially logical way. The fact that these ethics still speak the language of Dungeons and Dragons was a good thing, because that’s the language most of Ultima IV‘s audience spoke. Richard himself didn’t claim any mystical truth for the system, freely admitting in interviews that it was essentially arbitrary, that dozens of other formulations could have served his purposes just as well

How old was Garriot again when he came up with the virtues? The system is interesting, yes, it does make you think, but it - and with it the whole of Ultima - is still ultimately something that you can easily tell is very 80s, very nerdy D&D, very adolescent in its origin. It is something that takes its charm very much from a time-dependent historical moment. Personally, I enjoy that very much - retrospecitively; I am simply not sure you can take something as genuinely 'historical' (for the lack of a better word, because I don't want to use the word 'outdated') and easily adapt it to 2016+ . To put it more bluntly, a lot of the stuff in Ultima that appears brilliant when you are a teen in the 80s, and appears very charming retrospectively, would probably appear just plain silly from a modern perspective.

I am not sure how it could be done. Change it so much that it becomes irrecognizable as Ultima, then why use the IP in the first place? Or stay close to the roots in a perhaps somewhat self-ironic homage kind of way. Again, I have to think of Larian as perfect for the latter, as they don't take themselves too serious to begin with. With EA however, they would probably take the first approach cause of mass audience and monies.

UOF_ultimaforeverlarge.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Nonetheless, lets be honest - back in the day they were able to use the virtue system to tell very interesting and deep stories, the system itself however, if you really think about it, is a pretty arbitrary and simplistic ethics 101. I just don't think that, for example, 'becoming the avatar of spirituality' is something that blows the minds of people in the age of morally grey grimdarkness. Likewise, does the assignment of virtues to cities and classes seem like something thats very arbitrary and artificial. In fact, the whole way Sosaria is set up always felt pretty artificial.

The holes in the system don't mean that it can't be enjoyable - just like the absence of more than an everyday moral code in modern games means that they aren't enjoyable. On the contrary, trying to formulate mechanics of a moral code is more complex than painting a grey canvas like Witcher et al., which is something proponents of grimdark settings tend to forget. Heck, even alignment mechanics are more sophisticated than no mechanics at all.

I don't think an Ultima reboot would try to compete in grimdarkness with other franchises, but that's not to say that a grimdark Ultima is unimaginable, it just was never conceptualized like that by Garriot. But the Avatar as a lone candle of virtue has a lot of potential there.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Most religions core bumpf is silly as shit though innit? Burnin bushes, star cows lickin ice at beginnin o world, seven day creation, virtues as a system o belief is fairly much on a par an benefits in havin a kickarse jesus in Avatar. That said I think you're right that a new un'd be a fuckin abortion, tryin to wedge modern sensibilities into virtues. Funny thing is Garriot already showed fallibility o system by droppin Fellowship on Britannia, perfect challenge to a system o spiritual self improvement, a system of apologism an elitism.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Funny thing is Garriot already showed fallibility o system

Yes, Garriot was brilliant by not only inventing the whole thing but then immediately recognizing the flaws and proceeding to subverting it himself.

But the Avatar as a lone candle of virtue has a lot of potential there.

Fair point. Imagining the Avatar as Arthur, with Lord British American as Merlin, trying to assemble a crew of upright followers and searching for the holy grail (Codex of Ultimate Virtue) and pacify a ravaged and warn torn country. Why not, its possible.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Excalibur as a game, i'd buy that for a dollar. Hackin fuckers apart wi zweihanders an battle axes while Wagner an Orff plays, then back to Tintagel for a bit o nookie wi fair maidens, while Nichol Williamson manipulates shit an summons Dragon's breath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom