Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Sannom

Augur
Paradox also had a twitch stream during their recent sales and of the two people there, one said they previously worked on the title while the other said that they were working on the title right now as a producer. So yeah, stuff is being made.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The devs in this stream (Constant Gaw and Dini McMurry, level designers) say development on the game lasted just two years. That's shorter than the time Brian Heins was project director - it must have run on a skeleton crew for most of 2014.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
They all look (bad) generic fantasy, none of them have anything resembling of Ancient Greece.

You say that like it was meant to. This game is not set in ancient Greece. The only similarities are that both are in the bronze age, but you could also compare Terratus to the ancient Levant, Egypt, Mesopotamia, or any other bronze age civilization. But this is supposed to be its own thing, you know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do those initials match the names of any known characters or locations in Tyranny?

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Do those initials match the names of any known characters or locations in Tyranny?

Not that I can tell, but there's the entire Northern Empire that wasn't covered in the vanilla game. On the Spires there are portals that take you to various other spires in the Tiers, but there's a few that you you can't do anything with. My guess is the DLC will make those accessible, and they'll probably be in the North where you came from but can't ever go to during the game. I thought it was disappointing that you never could meet Kyros face to face.But it seems weird to have the showdown with Kyros as DLC as that would seem more fitting as sequel material.

Then again, maybe there are still some places in the Tiers left to go, or maybe an island off somewhere? The Tiersmen are seafarers, and I recall a bit of lore about some who ventured off and never returned. Maybe there's something more to Terratus than just the big Pangaea-like landmass we see on the map?

As for "Vermont Expansion One" that is in keeping with Obsidian's policy of naming their projects after states. That implies this is something rather large, and not just a mere Portrait pack, or anything trivial like that. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't White March sell disappointingly little in comparison with how well POE itself did? I feel that the same might happen again with this Tyranny DLC. For whatever reason, these sorts of games sell well enough, but no one really seems to care about buying the DLC for them, so Obsidian and Paradox might be setting themselves up for a fall if they think this is going to be sell a lot, because it probably won't.

Sizzle

Arcane
The content most glaringly missing from the core game is the resolution to the character arcs for most NPCs (Barik's armor, Verse's KoTOR2-esque ability, Sirin's mask, etc.), i.e. - personal quests.

So while I don't know which form or length the expansion packs DLCs will take, I'd expect at least those to somehow be included.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
The content most glaringly missing from the core game is the resolution to the character arcs for most NPCs (Barik's armor, Verse's KoTOR2-esque ability, Sirin's mask, etc.), i.e. - personal quests.

So while I don't know which form or length the expansion packs DLCs will take, I'd expect at least those to somehow be included.

That's a really good point. Not only do you not ever get to meet Kyros (or confirm which gender he/she/it really is - it is sometimes implied Kyros is a woman but it is never actually confirmed), but the companion arcs are never fully resolved either. Barik is concerned his body within the armor might actually be dead, and I was very interested to see if that was truly the case, but it never gets reolved. So yeah, that might be what these expansions are all about.

Sizzle

Arcane
Tyranny 1 was all about cementing your legend and stepping away from Kyros' control. It would be silly to put that confrontation in a DLC, they should do it properly, and (ideally) devote an entire game to it.

Of course, if there even will be a Tyranny 2.

Sannom

Augur
I thought that taking Barik to Sentinel Stand and Lantry to the Burning Library made for good companion quests for those characters.

As for an expansion pack, Matt McLean has said in an interview that if they were to do one, they would most likely flesh out the characters and factions that already exists rather than introduce new ones, so I'm expecting a story set in the Tiers, probably after the Edict on the Northern Empire, with the Fatebinder consolidating their power and preparing the defense/counter-attack against Kyros' forces. If they manage to take into account the most important variables of the endgame, it could make for something interesting.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Of course, if there even will be a Tyranny 2.

I believe there will be. Just the fact that Paradox has commissioned Obsidian to make all of this DLC has to mean they were satisfied with how well the game sold, and if they are satisfied by how well the game sold then they will want to do a sequel. Of course, that might change if the DLC expansions do exceptionally poorly, but even then I think Paradox is focused on the long term of building this franchise into something great and enduring. I wouldn't be surprised if work on the sequel is actually well underway at this very moment.

I mean, Tyranny probably wasn't as big of a seller as POE was, but considering that it was made with a much smaller budget and reusing the same engine and technology as POE it didn't need to sell very much to be profitable. The concept was already pretty much finished and ready to go since Tyranny is basically the Stormlands game Obsidian tried to pitch to Microsoft about a decade earlier, but Microsoft turned it down and Obsidian had been sitting on it ever since. Paradox recognized the potential of using the POE engine and the Stormlands concept, so they put the two together and Tyranny was born. It's kinda like how F:NV is basically Van Buren combined with the FO3 engine. Maybe some of Obsidian's other failed pitches will eventually end up seeing the light of day too; either in the POE engine, or something else.

roll-a-die

Magister
Tried playing this again recently, I don't know what it is about it. But I always start playing it, and then remember I never fully finished Pillars(end of act 2 typically wears me down.) And then go back and play that for a bit. Tyranny seems like it's got a tighter sense too it, and I might start it up playing Path of the Damned equivelent again. And then focus in on that. But really, it just doesn't hold me well. Pillars of Eternity had this sort of holding power the first time I played it, that up until act 2 and then end of it/start of act 3(Meeting the old cypher lady). It's flaws didn't bother me as much and I just kinda can coast through it, but Tyranny, I just can't seem to find my place in it as well as Pillars. I start playing, I stop after about 3 hours. And then never come back. The furthest I've gotten in it, is too the raid on the bridge. I always feel like I'm missing something, or not really in control of my character in it. Which is strage because there's more options to kinda go off script than in Pillars.

I think I'm gonna try getting into it again, I finally got my cheevo's on steam for completeing act one and the first segment of Od Nua. So I think I'll put Pillars on the back burner and really try and get into this game, because the concept appeals to me I don't know why.

Sannom

Augur
I'm currently on my second play-through, I joined the Scarlet Chorus this time (went with the Disfavored the first time), the beginning was easier (better understanding of the systems plus two mages) but I'm now in the Blade Graves and the Disfavored are really, really starting to get on my nerves. Seriously, fuck Ashe's Aegis!

roll-a-die

Magister
I think I figured it out.

Big idea, poor execution.

The amount of character the setting has is not matched by the character and caliber of the writing.

Pillars at least, for the sucky setting and it being forced down your throat had passable writing.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Right now I'm standing in front of a Forge-Bound, Zdenya.
This expert of magical smithing was sent to "Lethian's Crossing" to help with important business by order of Tunon.
However, Voices of Nerath requested me to kidnap Zdenya, in spite of her being under Tunon's protection.
I have no intention of following up on that order, as I only ever visited Nerath to spy on him and gather evidence of his treachery.
Regardlessly, I went to Lethinan's Crossing for other business... and witness the kidnapping of Zdenya - by a third party!
After a successful rescue mission, the game is giving me a choice when interacting with the tied up Forge-Bound:
A: Kill her.
B: Send her to Voices of Nerath.​

Now, I have absolutely zero reason to kill her. I hold no grudge against her, she is important to the Empire, and I'm fairly sure Tunon would be upset if I stabbed his valuable subordinate in the heart.
Nor is it in my interest to send her off to Voices of Nerath... at this point I've seen enough to be convinced that he is not just a poor man's One of Many, but also a traitor to the Empire.

The obvious decision would be to set Zdenya free, and travel immediately to Tunon and report of Nerath's treacherous plans. But the game won't give me that option, and I find myself unable to get off the wild ride that is the Scarlet Chorus route.

In other words, I'm considering dropping Tyranny and starting a Legion playthrough of New Vegas. Opinions?

The game must be thinking you've allied with the Scarlet Chorus. I allied with the Legion and I was given the option to free her. Or maybe its a bug? I'd recommend you talk to Obsidian directly about this for clarification.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
The game must be thinking you've allied with the Scarlet Chorus. I allied with the Legion and I was given the option to free her. Or maybe its a bug? I'd recommend you talk to Obsidian directly about this for clarification.

I checked, apparently it's not a bug, the game is just that railroaded. I guess I'll have to be a pawn of the Chorus until the game decides when it's ok for me to actually make choices.

Yeah, I agree it was railroaded in that you are forced to choose either the Scarlet Chorus or Legion and I didn't want to support either one, actually. But the Legion are less psychotic so they are the lesser evil of the two. Obsidian usually does better than this, but keep in mind this game wasn't made by their best talent. If it helps, you do get to betray whichever side you initially supported later on in the game, but unfortunately Zdenya appears to be fucked. Knowing what the Scarlet Chorus does with their prisoners, the more benevolent option would have probably been to just kill her.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I never found a way to betray Legion that wasn't in itself fucking batshit crazy and hilariously out of character based on my previous actions, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So, no DLC announced at PDXCON. If not now, then when?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom