Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Flou

Arbiter
I'm surprised Tyranny has the player base to make DLCs worthwhile, but I guess Paradox perfected the art of milking niche playerbases. Well, why not, nobody's forcing me to buy it - so let's see if it's going to be any good.

By creating more content for the game, they expect to sell more base game units as well. Paradox is happy with games slowly selling more and more and it's pretty much how they've done business in the past and apparently are happy to do business in the future as well.
Then again most of their games are slow sellers with Cities:Skylines being the exception.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
If they will improve the base game as White March did, then yiss.
Also, the gameplay should be improved, if possible replace the cooldown system with PoE style.

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
If they will improve the base game as White March did, then yis.
Also, the gameplay should be improved, if possible replace the cooldown system with PoE style.

Usually when Paradox releases a DLC for their game there is a free update version for everyone with improvements to the game.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm surprised Tyranny has the player base to make DLCs worthwhile, but I guess Paradox perfected the art of milking niche playerbases. Well, why not, nobody's forcing me to buy it - so let's see if it's going to be any good.

Yeah they're not literally pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to buy DLC, but unless you're satisfied with an unfinished game that ends on a cliffhanger, then you kinda do need the DLC to get resolution. It all depends on what sort of DLC this is - are these just item packs, new side content, or will we finally get to face Kyros like we should have been able to in the Vanilla game? I consider it a dick move to require players to buy extra DLC just to get a complete game, but that's become a common practice these days.

Nah, it was bad enough that I'm OK with not seeing the resolution.

I doubt they purposefully held back the denouement just to tack it on as DLC, given how terribly vague and unfleshed-out the whole game was after Act I. Incompetence is always more probable than malice.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I foreseen this since the game came out. If you're familiar with Paradox and their games, you'll know they love to DLC the shit out of everything; so much so, in fact, that the DLCs have their own DLC.

crusadermadness.png

image.jpeg
It's amazing how Paradox has become everything it used to despise.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
It's amazing how Paradox has become everything it used to despise.

Do you have a link or something where they said they were against this sort of thing? I think maybe the only thing they really despised was the fact that when they were a small-time company they weren't able to get in on the DLC milking themselves. But now they can, and they do.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Do you have a link or something where they said they were against this sort of thing? I think maybe the only thing they really despised was the fact that when they were a small-time company they weren't able to get in on the DLC milking themselves. But now they can, and they do.
As late as 2010, Paradox was still mocking paid DLC from other game companies, e.g. Civilization V for requiring players to pay for a Babylon civ DLC, in response to which they jokingly added Babylon as a country in Victoria 2 via a patch. Paradox games were always bug-ridden upon release, but Paradox not only patched as many bugs as possible in numerous free patches after the initial releases of their games but also added non-trivial amounts of features and content via the free patches, and they looked down on the business practices that were becoming common in the industry. There were numerous posts from Paradox employees to this effect in their own forums, many of them in the publicly-accessible parts, though I don't know how much of their old forum content is still around today. Certainly, by 2010 Paradox had already declined in many other respects, but it's still a bit astonishing to see how decline spread to their business practices to the point that they've become just another shady publisher milking their customer base through DLC.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yeah they're not literally pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to buy DLC, but unless you're satisfied with an unfinished game that ends on a cliffhanger, then you kinda do need the DLC to get resolution. It all depends on what sort of DLC this is - are these just item packs, new side content, or will we finally get to face Kyros like we should have been able to in the Vanilla game? I consider it a dick move to require players to buy extra DLC just to get a complete game, but that's become a common practice these days.

I'm okay with not confronting Kyros, even though I wasn't too impressed about the ending. Tyranny is about the events in the Tiers. To go after Kyros, the game should expend the world map and scope. That's a sequel material, not DLC material IMO.

Flou

Arbiter
As late as 2010, Paradox was still mocking paid DLC from other game companies, e.g. Civilization V for requiring players to pay for a Babylon civ DLC, in response to which they jokingly added Babylon as a country in Victoria 2 via a patch. Paradox games were always bug-ridden upon release, but Paradox not only patched as many bugs as possible in numerous free patches after the initial releases of their games but also added non-trivial amounts of features and content via the free patches, and they looked down on the business practices that were becoming common in the industry. There were numerous posts from Paradox employees to this effect in their own forums, many of them in the publicly-accessible parts, though I don't know how much of their old forum content is still around today. Certainly, by 2010 Paradox had already declined in many other respects, but it's still a bit astonishing to see how decline spread to their business practices to the point that they've become just another shady publisher milking their customer base through DLC.

They didn't completely abandon that free content though, at least some of their games get free new content and significant updates whenever there's a DLC released. You get more with DLC, but you aren't completely left out either if you don't pay for the DLC.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
At least the free patches now occur somewhat regularly. For the original CK, the patches were in beta for years and the guy working on it did it merely as a hobby and a side project. And essential changes were gated behind the expansion paywall (Rome and CK) - today mechanical changes are mostly in the free patches.

This game wasn't the best ever, but really, why would there be fully fledged loyalist paths in the last act, when the big bad makes it clear they want everyone with any power in the Tiers dead? And also the extra moneys it would take.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
This game wasn't the best ever, but really, why would there be fully fledged loyalist paths in the last act, when the big bad makes it clear they want everyone with any power in the Tiers dead? And also the extra moneys it would take.

I want there to be an option to romance Kyros instead of having to fight and potentially kill her. The end of the game makes it clear your power is equal - maybe even greater - to hers, so even if you choose to be loyal to her, the nature of that loyalty has to change because you can't be a servant to someone who you are on par with...well, I suppose you could, but it would be weird. But being able to marry her and then together ruling over Terratus as a couple seems legit.

Killing her off would just make you alone and isolated at the top, and someone else might just take her powers and oppose you anyway. So it would seem the logical way to solidify your power is to unite with her, but as an equal partner.

But if people want to be a cuck and continue to kneel before her even though they have equal power to her, I guess it wouldn't hurt if the game provided the option to do that, but it would be kinda dumb imho.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rare mention by Chris Avellone of his early work on Tyranny: http://www.glixel.com/interviews/qa-chris-avellone-fantasy-is-not-my-happy-place-w473582

When we were originally doing Tyranny at Obsidian, part of the idea was that you could go anywhere, do anything. Because "reputation" was a power mechanic in the world, no matter what you did that involved "RPG-ing" in the world, that would raise your power level and reputation. When that happened, then the story would come to you, so it didn't matter what you did. You can just go have fun anyway you wanted to, and it would actually help the storyline advance. I try and look for mechanics like that, that are clearly reacting to you, but you're still allowed to do anything you want in the world, and you still feel powerful for it.

The improve-by-use character system fit well alongside that concept.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Paradox gonna be Paradox. If it's like Crusader Kings 2, it will cost 2 bucks.

With CK2, they actually recently gave up on separate portrait packs. They used to sell several cosmetic packs per patch separately, then they bundled them in a single pack in addition to the expansion and now they include them with the main DLC again.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They just added two more cosmetic content depots: "Portrait Pack (Males)" and "Portrait Pack (Full Size Art)".

And they are currently included in newly created "staging" branch, as they describe: "Used for testing changes soon to be released"

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh yeah, also very obvious "VX1"(Vermont Expansion One) reference.

(Yeah, I should have do this in one post.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do they really think there's enough demand/interest for an Expansion Two?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Paradoxical: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-portrait-pack-announced.1008276/

Tyranny Portrait Pack Announced!

QGaYS3c.jpg

We have some exciting things lined up for the world of Tyranny going forward!

To tease your pallet the Overlord Kyros will first bring some new faces to all the Fatebinders out there! Our new character Portrait Pack releases on Steam on April 4th at $3.99, what comes next, you will have to wait and see.

edit:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/tyranny-portrait-pack/

KjRloEl.jpg

Customize your Fatebinder with a selection of 20 new character portraits, providing new ways to portray your characters look and feel. This added portrait pack offers more options to players who wish to experience Tyranny with a Fatebinder that matches their personal vision.

The pack features:
  • 20 new in-game Fatebinder portraits
  • Artwork featuring male and female characters in a variety of outfits
  • Unwavering loyalty to Kyros

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Wait, it took them over 5 months to release some shitty cosmetic DLC?

I'm disappointed. Paradox are losing their touch.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I for one am happy that they only offer shitty cosmetic DLCs. At least I don't feel being left out when I don't purchase them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom