Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny Spellcrafting and Dungeon Crawl Stream

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Have said it before, but fuck it..

--cheap--

Cheap when you use the specific character selection visual as if that's how your audience will feel the connection to BG et al., because here's that fucking horrid circle again, cheap when you go for the same stylistic approach and assets (albeit hued/toned a touch differently) over and over again, cheap when apparently at least your concept of innovation/pushing your studio forward is.. what? Slightly more modern inventory images/UI symbols? And cheap because when you're so fucking tight up the arse to be unable to go for something other than what you've been regurgitating for so many years? You are in d-e-c-l-i-n-e.
Am deeply sorry to see this shit. After their previous shit. Even more when apparently there's still an audience for copy-clones of the same 'ole. Honestly sorry as in spirit at least, this company had it. Once.

Irrelevant and rhetorical; do they have an in-house pancake store? An in-house burger joint maybe? You skin those two baby whales on the couch, you could feed a couple of villages for a month.

What the fuck are you talking about? The have a nice, working engine, why should they waste money on shit they have? Look how many games and how many art assets were reused with the IE games. Just recently studios started being smart enough to not use their hard worked for and expensive assets as sunk costs, which is fucking retarded to do.

Would you rather have more games or less? More reused assets equals more games. No reused assets equals much, much less games at higher prices.

Also, you don't play graphics. You play games.

I wonder why so many of you guys even post here. But I wonder more why the ones all stuck up on superficial nonsense don't just look at games you find appealing artwise since you guys don't seem very keen on playing games - just looking at them. It is weird.

Roqua

Prospernaut
I didn't watch the video because I would rather find out about a game I know I am buying while playing, but you whinny bitches make no sense. Just because the hipster bandwagon didn't swoop down to carry this game to Minecraft land doesn't mean every monkey has to pop in the thread and say same inane retarded shit that makes absolutely no sense to normal people. Are you guys having a weirdo contest to see who can come up with the most confusing whine? If so, you are doing great. If not, I encourage you all to think about copying the Japanese internet group suicide phenomenon.

Please?

Fever

Educated
The have a nice, working engine, why should they waste money on shit they have? Look how many games and how many art assets were reused with the IE games. Just recently studios started being smart enough to not use their hard worked for and expensive assets as sunk costs, which is fucking retarded to do.
[...]

Finally! Many complaints about Tyranny look like exercises in the "oh-Im-so-codexian" style rather than honest criticism.
Are some people still THAT butthurt about PoE?

While I do agree about skills' cooldowns - they suck - the rest of the game looks totally fine to me.
Reused assets? Amateurish animations? Isometric view 10 degrees out of angle? Goofy portraits? Who the fuck cares if the game turns out to be good?
Pointless whiners, it's too early to jump the hatewagon: go back to your Fallout4 cesspit in the meantime, because hating on a game for those reasons do not make you look like edgy codexians, you look like redditards.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Who the fuck cares if the game turns out to be good?
Pointless whiners, it's too early to jump the hatewagon: go back to your Fallout4 cesspit in the meantime, because hating on a game for those reasons do not make you look like edgy codexians, you look like redditards.

While I do agree about skills' cooldowns - they suck.
Reused assets? Amateurish animations? Isometric view 10 degrees out of angle? Goofy portraits?

:hero:Guess, you already said what had to be said, would just add what you forgot, there isn't friendly fire, maximum four party members, Disney Evil World and the art style sucks balls.

Weasel
And level-scaled trash mobs. I guess a few people have also criticised the writing we've seen so far, and the "puzzles".

But hey, it's "isometric" so everyone who doesn't blindly support it must be Fallout4-loving graphix whores.

Fever

Educated
DeepOcean No friendly fire is dumb, I agree, but it's fucking far from being game-breaking. Just play as if it was there if it's that important to you? People do lack imagination these days.
Party size never did make or break a game honestly, and art style is totally up to personal likings. I for one enjoy the atmosphere, and I find the art direction to be way less cartoony or Disney-style than many other hyped games around. D:OS2 seems drawn to please my son in middle school, so what? It will still be a good RPG.
I find your arguments pretty inane to justify the hate-train.

Level-scaling is somehow a necessity in a game where you follow a "free path", as they claim Tyranny to be. Otherwise, there IS a fixed path, and you only get an illusion of freedom, which often consists in facing encounters you cannot beat yet - go back to the default route - gain experience and levels - come back to win the before-unbeatable encounters. Wow, such freedom!
If Tyranny is really going to let us choose which villages/quests do first, last or ignore them, then it needs some kind of scaling.
Moreover, "level-scaling" per se isn't good or bad, because there are various ways to implement it in a game - as you should already know - so we have to at least see how it works before whining.
And you know, Zorba the Hutt, tagging all my comments about Tyranny as "butthurt" makes it look like you are the one butthurt, but whatever floats your boat, my weasel friend.

Hey, this is clearly not the next PS:T, so let's just all hate it from the get-go, complaining about retarded things like the graphics being edgy, the animations being sloppy and the writing being terribad (even if we've seen 0.1% of it). Ah, and don't forget FF, how I can play without muh friendly-fire? It's not as if I can move my guys out of a fireball's range.

Weasel
Somehow, it feels like history is repeating itself

I despised those titles with all my heart, especially Heroes7 and SCL, which I blindly supported at first.

Reminds me of that time I wasted on the SCL forums, when the warning signs became very apparent very quickly, but mentioning them would anger the fanbots who would moan about negativity and 'hate trains', and insist we should be grateful for the poor devs who had deigned to provide us with an "isometric rpg". Perhaps that's unfair though, as that was a casualised game with a 4 character party, extensive cooldown management and level scaled trash mobs. And it certainly didn't stimulate the imagination like Tyranny's awesome combo abilities will.

Sannom

Augur
I don't think Tyranny's cooldowns can be as asinine as what I've heard from the game you're mentioning. I mean, 10 minutes on a cooldown?

Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
No friendly fire is dumb, I agree, but it's fucking far from being game-breaking. Just play as if it was there if it's that important to you? People do lack imagination these days.
LIGHTNNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT1

Fever

Educated
Recalling SCL does ring a few alarms, I will give you that. Comparing Tyranny and SCL the way you do feels unfair tho.
The selling point of that shit game was the DM tool and the amazing siingle player campaign in D&D fashion. We all know how what happened in the end.
Story and characters in SCL were especially bad, generic and cringeworthy to play with. I believe - this is the key word - that story and characterization are exactly the departments where Obsidian can shine, making an interesting, replayable rpg. This is all that matters in the end (other than being isometric ofc), despite friendly fire and portraits.

About mechanics, they are clearly experimenting in between of the Pillars chapters, I think they also said so themselves.
Yes, they took some false steps, but nothing so terrible to deserve this hostility by supposed lovers of the genre.
I'm not enthusiastic about 4-men-party, cooldowns and no FF, but I can live with it as long as the game (story-narration-characters) is solid.

Finally, level-scaling had no sense in SCL because the campaign was awfully linear. Tyranny is said to feature a lot of freedom in players choices and quests order. I would say that story and replayability are their selling points, so let's judge them on those, not on petty graphics or nit-picking mechanics. If they fail to deliver, I'll be the first to jump their throats - what can change the nature of a fanboy? - but I suggest you save your poison for now.

Roqua

Prospernaut
The have a nice, working engine, why should they waste money on shit they have? Look how many games and how many art assets were reused with the IE games. Just recently studios started being smart enough to not use their hard worked for and expensive assets as sunk costs, which is fucking retarded to do.
[...]

Finally! Many complaints about Tyranny look like exercises in the "oh-Im-so-codexian" style rather than honest criticism.
Are some people still THAT butthurt about PoE?

While I do agree about skills' cooldowns - they suck - the rest of the game looks totally fine to me.
Reused assets? Amateurish animations? Isometric view 10 degrees out of angle? Goofy portraits? Who the fuck cares if the game turns out to be good?

Could it be? Another normal person with non-retard centric tastes and logic? God bless you, sir. Please don't let the monkeys chase you off or shout you down. If you continue to be normal you are in for one big long retard fight here, but it is better than letting these fucking retard savages control the narrative with no opposition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom