Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't understand how you're supposed to deal with the fight in the Ascension Hall. I've replayed the game from the begining and now have a party of four (all at lvl 5). Verse, Barik and that old man. My char is some sort of dual wielding warrior.

The problem is that you are outnumbered. 7 against 4. I would like to just engage a few of them at a time but it seems impossible.

Mystary!

Arcane
I pulled them into one of the side rooms, it's far away enough that the back line loses interest. Cheesy but I wanted to progress..
Edit: I might be thinking of one of the battles leading up to the last room, which gave me much more trouble than the final fight since I could scare a couple of them into leaving in that one.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
I still don't understand how you're supposed to deal with the fight in the Ascension Hall. I've replayed the game from the begining and now have a party of four (all at lvl 5). Verse, Barik and that old man. My char is some sort of dual wielding warrior.

The problem is that you are outnumbered. 7 against 4. I would like to just engage a few of them at a time but it seems impossible.

If you immediately run to the entrance the furthest archer and mage usually stand still doing nothing while you pummel their friends.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

If you immediately run to the entrance the furthest archer and mage usually stand still doing nothing while you pummel their friends.
So that's my best bet? Guess I have to reload untill that happens. Otherwise you get killed almost instantly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Ascension Hall fight just boils down to luck in the end, at least that's how I rationalize it since I have no idea how I managed to beat it on PotD. Pretty shitty game all around (C&C doesn't redeem it), so whatevs.

Sannom

Augur

In my first playthrough, with a setup somewhat close to yours (I had the same companions but my PC was a two-handed warrior), it came down to luck and the help of the hilariously bad AI. I had managed to whittle them down to Tarkis Ari, Eb and the archer, with my PC and Verse down, leaving only Barik and Lantry. Those Vendrien idiots decided, for some reason, to gang up on Barik, leaving Lantry alone. From then on, I simply healed Barik by circling through Erase the Record, healing spells and healing potions, while he slowly (I didn't build Barik very well) destroyed Tarkis Ari. Once she was down, Eb and the archer were a formality.

The whole thing reminded me of that story Avellone once said, that it's not the written word or story that sticks with you, but those stories, in which the confluence of systems manage to create stories of your own that you remember better than anything else about the game.

On my second playthrough, with a mage focused on cone spells backed by Verse and Lantry (I decided to wlly with the Scarlet Chorus and let Barik go), it was a lot easier, as I dealt great amount of damage thanks to my PC and Lantry (who had some cone spells too). Being more familiar with the systems also helped.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You guys use all illusion buffs and heals in spell slots for everyone including Barik & Verse right? You can even cast those before combat.

Sannom

Augur
I did that after Ascension Hall, as I was set in a "I will eventually not use magic at all" mindset at the time. After I god KIS, I went for what you say.

Parabalus

Arcane
So that's my best bet? Guess I have to reload untill that happens. Otherwise you get killed almost instantly.

I could consistently do it on every attempt - make sure to pull your party back as far as possible, you can click on the far point of the map and then rotate with right click, the edge is bugged and characters can go off screen.

This is probably the hardest fight in the game (ye...lol) since you don't have access to anything real yet, but it's doable. Spamming all per rest companion abilities helps because they have 100% hit.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah that is probably the hardest fight on the game by far, everything goes easier from here
I use wizard types for these IE style games because I know the AI can handdle doing warriory stuff but I rather pick and choose my spells depending on my play-style
If you have a magic user remember to buff up your spells and select as many cone spells as you can, thankfully this game doesnt have friendly fire
As for the battle itself, first of all bluff a bit and get rid of a few enemies beforehand
Try to go for the False Pit illusion spell (it knocks down enemies and can usually pull down 2 or 3 of the lower level chars)
Focus on getting the interest of the low level melee enemies with Barik, while Verse can engage the archers and magic users
Your character can help Verse out, but if you didnt make Barik a classic "tank" you need to help there or he will be overwhelmed
Dont be shy with the potions and buffs, just as combat starts use them
As long as Barik and Lantry are alive you can win this battle, keep a very close eye on Lantry cooldowns
Finally dont be shy to use your combo abilities, use them on the lower level enemies to kill them quickly and not get overwhelmed, if you kill 2 enemies within the first 30 seconds with spells and abilities your odds are very good to win

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That Verse combo ability from Wrath is very good at this stage of the game. It deals very respectable damage around her plus gives her a strong fire DOT aura. It can kill several enemies if positioned correctly.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
I could consistently do it on every attempt - make sure to pull your party back as far as possible, you can click on the far point of the map and then rotate with right click, the edge is bugged and characters can go off screen.
And that was the way to go! I made one archer leave using Ahtletics in the convo, then I moved my whole party off screen into the corridor. One of the enemies didn't engage us so I hade a fight of four against five which I managed to beat and then there was just one guy left and he died in a gangbang.

Sannom

Augur
Yeah that is probably the hardest fight on the game by far, everything goes easier from here
I don't understand why the "teleport, explode on arrival" scouts disappeared after Act I. Thos guys were really annoying and I dreaded going against them.

Ivan

Arcane
i don't remember shit about this game. just that encounters kept boiling down to "it's THEM. get EM!"

Sannom

Augur
4 Go for a patch? The fuck, GOG?!? I know people using Galaxy had had that problem, but since when does it affect the downloadable version on the site?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm trying to play Tyranny, but writing is so bad it's... really making the game unplayable. I haven't seen this horribly written game since Fallout 3 (didn't play FO4/Skyrim). What the hell?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:avatard: http://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-US-election-launch

Tyranny's release being Trumped by US election was "a coincidence", say Obsidian

On November 9th last year, the US elected Donald Trump as their president. A day later, Obsidian released an RPG under the slogan: “Sometimes, evil wins.”

“The fate of a people does not always rest with a hero,” went Tyranny’s launch trailer. Far better than any hastily assembled election DLC, it captured the zeitgeist of gloom and terror that gripped much of the western world in the closing months of 2016.

However you feel about the election result, the resultant backlash has made clear that for many, Obsidian hit a parallel between real-world events and their game's central theme.

But how did they do it? The truth is that the studio had no election grand plan: the timing was pure luck.

“I would be amazed if you found any development team whose release date at the point of conception was actually correct,” says Obsidian’s Josh Sawyer.

“I was not part of the Tyranny team, but I know for a fact that was not when it was originally supposed to ship.”

In fact, Tyranny’s launch date got moved around before it finally settled on November 10th.

“There are so many logistical issues with launching a game that there is no way that someone would go, ‘Hey, I just looked into a crystal ball and I see there’s a very contentious American presidential election coming up. We’re gonna launch right then.’

“That just happened. It was just a coincidence.”

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
On November 9th last year, the US elected Donald Trump as their president. A day later, Obsidian released an RPG under the slogan: “Sometimes, evil wins.”
And now the Overlord is wrecking the world with Edicts...

Mareus

Magister
I just came to say that Tyranny is awesome! I haven't had this much fun playing a game since the golden years. Where PoE fell a bit short and missed the opportunity to become one of my all time classics due to in your face kickstarter content, non-opinionated party members, and superficial choices and consequences, Tyranny has succeeded - despite some obvious flaws. The amount of choices and consequences is staggering, setting is brilliant and the game keept surprising me with it's options up to the very end! Damn, I never wanted a sequel more! Things to complain about: small areas, lack of exploration, no walking option AGAIN for us roleplayers (WTF Obsidian??), no friendly fire, cooldown combat can be a bit clunky, and at times it feels like the game was a bit rushed. Everything else is however just pure genius and I would rather play a flawed gem like Tyranny, than pretty much anything else! Agree or disagree with me, I absolutely love this game! To me it is a real classic! If this game is any indicator of upcoming Obsidian and InXile games, I think I can then die happy!

duanth123

Arcane
I wonder if Obsidian is concerned about the possible legal ramifications of staggering and dizzying so many of its players with these choices. God forbid a player is, say, holding his newborn child or about to drive to the store when faced with these choice-induced fits of delirium.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I just came to say that Tyranny is awesome! I haven't had this much fun playing a game since the golden years. Where PoE fell a bit short and missed the opportunity to become one of my all time classics due to in your face kickstarter content, non-opinionated party members, and superficial choices and consequences, Tyranny has succeeded - despite some obvious flaws. The amount of choices and consequences is staggering, setting is brilliant and the game keept surprising me with it's options up to the very end! Damn, I never wanted a sequel more! Things to complain about: small areas, lack of exploration, no walking option AGAIN for us roleplayers (WTF Obsidian??), no friendly fire, cooldown combat can be a bit clunky, and at times it feels like the game was a bit rushed. Everything else is however just pure genius and I would rather play a flawed gem like Tyranny, than pretty much anything else! Agree or disagree with me, I absolutely love this game! To me it is a real classic! If this game is any indicator of upcoming Obsidian and InXile games, I think I can then die happy!

What other games did you enjoy in past?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom