Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:/

I wanna try it but easy combat is a huge turn off.

Don't worry about it. And don't listen to people complaining its too easy while playing on normal or even hard. I played on PotD and found the combat pretty enjoyable. Sure, the game could use more enemy variety, the enemies are rather bullet-spongy at that difficulty level (but its good for the final parts when you have some really powerfull spells/skills) and most companion combo skills are not worth their (combined) casting time beyond the first few levels.
But I've found very decent challenge troughout the first half of the game.

The second half was easier, especially once I got Chaotic Descent+Focused Rain and, in the last parts, Bouncing 2 & 4 (though I didn't find the latter ones, I've had their locations spoiled). But frankly I expect to overcome the difficulty curve in most cRPGs I play. And I do, probably in at least 90% of the cases. Part of the cRPG power progression fun for me (and why I hate aggressive level scaling).
Plus spell creation was tons of fun troughout.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Tyranny is not a perfect game, for sure. But its a great improvement and a step in the right direction.

Sawyer could use a lot of Tyranny stuff to improve PoE2, but I can bet my soul he will not.

Sentinel

Arcane
Tyranny is not a perfect game, for sure. But its a great improvement and a step in the right direction.

Sawyer could use a lot of Tyranny stuff to improve PoE2, but I can bet my soul he will not.
Like what?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Like what?

- combo abilities;
- better companions;
- crafting (items/ food/ potions);
- training;
- useful atributes;
- rest is the stronghold is useful and dont need 327 load screens;
- spells;
- better items;
- strong rivals and NPCs;
- your decisions have impact in the world. Lord of caed nua my ass. It means nothing in PoE.

Also, my party dont ask me to rest if I dont have a huge ammount of points in atletics.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
:/

I wanna try it but easy combat is a huge turn off.

Don't worry about it. And don't listen to people complaining its too easy while playing on normal or even hard. I played on PotD and found the combat pretty enjoyable. Sure, the game could use more enemy variety, the enemies are rather bullet-spongy at that difficulty level (but its good for the final parts when you have some really powerfull spells/skills) and most companion combo skills are not worth their (combined) casting time beyond the first few levels.
But I've found very decent challenge troughout the first half of the game.

The second half was easier, especially once I got Chaotic Descent+Focused Rain and, in the last parts, Bouncing 2 & 4 (though I didn't find the latter ones, I've had their locations spoiled). But frankly I expect to overcome the difficulty curve in most cRPGs I play. And I do, probably in at least 90% of the cases. Part of the cRPG power progression fun for me (and why I hate aggressive level scaling).
Plus spell creation was tons of fun troughout.

The combat was select all + attack to win for large swathes of POTD Act 2, unless you are retarded

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
rest is the stronghold is useful and dont need 327 load screens;
your decisions have impact in the world. Lord of caed nua my ass. It means nothing in PoE.
Also, my party dont ask me to rest if I dont have a huge ammount of points in atletics.

All these issues were corrected with 3.0.

Sentinel

Arcane
- combo abilities;
true, could be interesting.
- better companions;
tyranny's companions were an absolute joke though
elaborate. all of these were in PoE
- training;
only there because of the class-less progression system.
- useful atributes;
elaborate. They were useful in PoE.
nothing to do with Tyranny. Side effect of moving to Unity 5 and more experience with the engine. Would have been implemented in PoE2 even if Tyranny didn't exist (they already talked about it at a Post-PoE PAX panel in 2015)
- spells;
there were spells in PoE
- better items;
If you mean artifact abilities that were unique, I agree.
is this a joke? Tyranny had exactly 0 challenging fights. I can remember at least 4 in PoE.
- your decisions have impact in the world. Lord of caed nua my ass. It means nothing in PoE.
They mean as much in PoE as they do in BG. Tyranny and PoE are not the same kind of game. They're not going for the same kind of goal.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
They were better than those from PoE, at least I can remembe rthem a bit.

Crafting at certain places such as towers was better than that strange all in inventory thing.

If you mean artifact abilities that were unique, I agree.
Artefact abillities weren't worth using artifact weapons, there were better weapons.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
All these issues were corrected with 3.0.

Oh, good to know that. The last time I played PoE was before TWM expansions.

- combo abilities;

I do not agree. Although outnumbered, compared to PoE, all companions of Tyranny are interesting and unique.

What are the companions of PoE that are truly unforgettable? Edér, Grieving Mother, Sagani, Durance and Pallegina. In my two playthroughs I just played with a generic group and left the companions aside.

I do not know how it is in 3.0, but even when I played, none of this was implemented. The stronghold was useless. Crafting was bizarre. In Tyranny, crafting is much more organic and integrated into the game. The Spirals, though too late, have a function and fulfill their purpose. You do not need a completely specific and unique dragon scale to upgrade an item. You can even discover new plans for new items and forge them. I understand that, while not perfect, it's a giant step compared to PoE.

- training;
only there because of the class-less progression system.

Ok, agreed.

- useful atributes;
elaborate. They were useful in PoE.

Sorry, I meant Skills.

nothing to do with Tyranny. Side effect of moving to Unity 5 and more experience with the engine. Would have been implemented in PoE2 even if Tyranny didn't exist (they already talked about it at a Post-PoE PAX panel in 2015)

Ok, agreed. Anyway, Roguey said that this was resolved in 3.0.

- spells;
there were spells in PoE

Yes. Forgetful and generic spells. Tyranny did a much better job with them.

In fact, Tyranny did such a good job that you CREATED the magic by utilizing new discoveries throughout the game. This causes the player to create a bond with them. I can even remember the name of some: Rimespike, Path of Frost, False Pit, Arid Lands ... Just brilliant!

is this a joke? Tyranny had exactly 0 challenging fights. I can remember at least 4 in PoE.

Not necessarily fights, but NPCs. Tyranny has much more memorable NPCs. Graven Ashe, Voices of Nerat, Bleden Mark, Tunon, Fifth Eye. But I agree with you: Tyranny has no memorable fight while PoE has several.

They mean as much in PoE as they do in BG. Tyranny and PoE are not the same kind of game. They're not going for the same kind of goal.

Ok, agreed.

In other news, this post here is very interesting and Sawyer could take into account: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?p=150814#p150814

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Yes. Forgetful and generic spells. Tyranny did a much better job with them.

In fact, Tyranny did such a good job that you CREATED the magic by utilizing new discoveries throughout the game. This causes the player to create a bond with them. I can even remember the name of some: Rimespike, Path of Frost, False Pit, Arid Lands ... Just brilliant!
Nigga please. Tyranny's spell crafting is extremely barebones. It's just pick your duration, spell intensity, element and AoE type (if any). The spells are just as dull as those you were given in PoE, except in PoE you didn't have to scavenge for gay runes to craft the same old spells.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I question the value of crafting in general. Concerning spells though, in Tyranny it was simply busywork trying to get your spells, after that all you did was manipulate their numbers. You could have a few quests offered to high level Wizards, where you try to invent your own spells (maybe predetermined ones, depending on what you do during the quest), like Bigby's Forceful Hand or Tenser's Transformation, or Minoletta's Missiles, or Cancelhault's I-forgot-the-name (you even meet him in WM). It would be CHARNAME's -blank-, yeah it would lead to Shitstain's Effervescence or something in someone's playthrough, but worth it. Enemy spellcasters won't have access to it since you are the only one who knows it and is justified, so it's not cheating.

Xeon

Augur
The only thing I hope is set in stone for things to take is the hyperlink stuff, that shit was amazing, getting the secret dialogue with Nerat the first time made me all giddy.

The spell system was pretty good, kinda similar to BG since you can switch and stuff more than it was in PoE which you only got to pick at level up IIRC. You can learn spell runes from scrolls. The base also had a purpose to the plot, Strongold felt like a decoration in PoE with you managing an imaginary town and no relation to the plot.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Frankly, even if I don't like RTwP combat it's obvious Tyranny's combat feels better than PoE's. Like many other gameplay or UI elements you can see the team learned from previous errors. And even if Tyranny's spell system is far from perfect it's still better than POE's with its multitude of useless, uninteresting, samey spells. Searching through my mages or even priests spells felt like a chore. The amount of fun never justified the headaches.

Sentinel

Arcane
Frankly, even if I don't like RTwP combat it's obvious Tyranny's combat feels better than PoE's. Like many other gameplay or UI elements you can see the team learned from previous errors. And even if Tyranny's spell system is far from perfect it's still better than POE's with its multitude of useless, uninteresting, samey spells. Searching through my mages or even priests spells felt like a chore. The amount of fun never justified the headaches.
I know people who liked turn-based combat have incredible shit taste but jesus christ to actually claim that Tyranny's combat is better than PoE?
I'm disappointed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom