Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can kill the Chorus and Verse doesn't care.
I can kill the Disfavored and Barik don't give a fuck.
I accidentally slaughtered some sages, and no reaction from Lantry.

I'm enjoying the game but what the fuck, DA2 had better reactivity than this.
They do react, but in a pathetic way. I liked the game in general, but how party members reacted and repetitive combat were problems that need fixing.

Try playing again. In my first playthrough, I killed the Disfavoured general and Barik refused to talk to me. On the second playthrough, I killed him and Barik went fucking crazy. I could choose to kill him or let him leave, but I chose to keep him bound to me as a slave instead.
I'm going to do a replay, but I will save it for next summer or something.

Malpercio

Arcane
Act 2

Man, this is really boring. The battle are literally all the same, it reminds me of DAO with less trash. Event the spell system that should be cool in theory, ends up being quite limiting because of Lore. Battle system/itemization/stronghoold system kinda feels like they designed them but really didn't test how effective they were. They just feels undercooked at best.

Act 1 was cool, but the plot basically became "Go there, get mcguffin, kill everything". There isn't much branching or really interesting questing. I can also seems to be able to pass like... every skill check with my mage character.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A little over a month after release and discussion is already practically dead.

Alpha Protocol this is not. Pillars of Eternity this is not. :smug:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I for one am waiting for them to do to Tyranny the same they did to PoE with 3.0. Make encounters more interesting, make late game not a walk in a park and so on.

Even if they don't do it I'll play it one more time at least once, on lowest difficulty level to just see how the story unfolds. Then I'll have more to talk about. I have a feeling most people are in the same state of uncertainty about the game.

Act 2

Man, this is really boring. The battle are literally all the same, it reminds me of DAO with less trash. Event the spell system that should be cool in theory, ends up being quite limiting because of Lore. Battle system/itemization/stronghoold system kinda feels like they designed them but really didn't test how effective they were. They just feels undercooked at best.

The difference DAO actually is challenging. I had troubles with some side content (Revenants, dragons) even on a second playthrough recently.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane

Pillars had many divisive elements to it - some liked the story and combat, many thought it to be shit. But there was room for discussion.

Here, most would agree that the story is okayish, and that combat is crap. Even the people who mostly liked Tyranny don't deny this. There's far less need for a discussion when there's a - more or less - agreed consensus about the game.

Lhynn

Arcane

Note that the only reason pillars of eternity is brought up till today is because of the incredibly bad design choices that went into it.
While the reason AP is brought up till today is because of the brilliant C&C system and the great characters.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Try Story Time Mode, I think that you'd enjoy the story because like you said before the combat was a little to advanced for you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Selection bias. People with good taste don't post in GRPG Discussion.

Discussions: 11,798
Parrots: 908,176
Second only to run-of-the-mill discussion. I guess it figures that the most popular board on a RPG forum would have nothing to do with RPGs or gaming.

Lhynn

Arcane
Obsidian is still the most popular developer in the codex. Doesnt mean their games are any good, or that their shit is worth talking about.

Stop arguing nonsense please.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Joni Odin von Hassenstein Probably. Most of the time there's only one possible outcome and it's forced on you even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

On the Chorus path, Renata and her followers were KoS hostile towards me even though I had Lantry with me and had been nice to the Sages in most cases.

Likewise, there was no dialogues option to resolve Gregos encounter peacefully. I had helped the Unbroken before and had Favor 3 with them. Fighting Gregos reset Favor to zero and gave me a large amount of Wrath. Adding insult to injury, the reputation change description was "you attacked Gregos." He attacked me and I did everything to prevent that, dammit!
Obsidian cannot into C&C. Sad but true.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
What would you guys recommend most for a first char (first playthrough) in Tyranny : javelin/schield&spear or monk ? I never played monk in a RPG before so I though about making a male monk but I must say the female javelin/schield&spear is tempting and quite fresh. It also seem lore friendly. I thought that using nerdcommando tank/range build I wan even raise the difficulty of my first playthough to hard (I usually like it easy).

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I thought maybe one of the build would be more fun to play. So the game is really easier than PoE...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
According to some goon, Tyranny on hard is the equivalent of PoE on easy. :M

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
I've just finished the game this weekend – and I got a question to you all – don't you think the plot structure is very similar to KOTOR or Mass Effect 1?

You have: first location (pack of quests and chars) -> find a powerful artifact (srat forge, prothean data disc, spire) -> intermediate location (jedi academy, citadel, bastard city) -> you can pick 1 out of 3 next locations (with their own quest and chars) and collect and artifact at each one -> intermediate location -> mini-boss -> final location -> final boss.

Would you agree that all the 3 games I list above follow this pattern?

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I've just finished the game this weekend – and I got a question to you all – don't you think the plot structure is very similar to KOTOR or Mass Effect 1?
You have: first location (pack of quests and chars) -> find a powerful artifact (srat forge, prothean data disc, spire) -> intermediate location (jedi academy, citadel, bastard city) -> you can pick 1 out of 3 next locations (with their own quest and chars) and collect and artifact at each one -> intermediate location -> mini-boss -> final location -> final boss.

First, it depends on your path. Mine (sided with Chorus) was more linear, I never had a choice of order of tasks, just had an opportunity to visit some other place sometimes. So I'm not sure what was mini-boss and final boss for you.

Second, this is as vague as Hero's Journey formula. And it's far-fetched. In KotOR you find Star Forged after long prologue and completing 1 of the planets, almost half into the game IIRC. And it's important as it is. In Mass Effect you find prothean data either in first 10 minutes or, if you mean something else, after specific point in a journey which can be late or early. And it's just a news flash for Shepard, it's not an important item by itself. And so on and so on.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
First, it depends on your path. Mine (sided with Chorus) was more linear, I never had a choice of order of tasks, just had an opportunity to visit some other place sometimes. So I'm not sure what was mini-boss and final boss for you.
Anarchy path is the only true path :edgy:

I still feel they are very similar in structure though I'm too lazy to compile a list of the exact parallels.

Mystary!

Arcane
I thought maybe one of the build would be more fun to play. So the game is really easier than PoE...

The fun is finding out for yourself.
One problem I found with Javelins is that they split your advancement in two, because you learn by doing, so if you fight in melee you get One-handed exp instead of Throwing. Not a big deal thou.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What would you guys recommend most for a first char (first playthrough) in Tyranny : javelin/schield&spear or monk ? I never played monk in a RPG before so I though about making a male monk but I must say the female javelin/schield&spear is tempting and quite fresh. It also seem lore friendly. I thought that using nerdcommando tank/range build I wan even raise the difficulty of my first playthough to hard (I usually like it easy).

Weapon choice doesn't matter that much, they seem pretty balanced. Only like Mystary mentioned, the problem with dual weapons like javelins and throwing daggers is the lack of focus. You will divide experience between one-handed and thrown rather then achieving max ranks in just 1 of combat skills. I'm not sure there are artifact javelins. There is one very nice spear, but it's hidden (need to revisit a previously cleared location) and available very late.
Well, going unarmed is a bit different, of course. A valid choice but then you miss on the special weapons and effects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom