Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Managed to ask Brian a few questions, but there was nothing really interesting.

hell bovine

Arcane
Is there a way to make the Disfavored and the Scarlet assault the Citadel together ? Until that point I haven't really sided with either of them, tried to keep my distances with both. I just don't want either of Archons to die, just yet.
do you mean act 1? then no, but no archons die at this point :?

anus_pounder

Arcane
U4FOWrT.jpg

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
badler I take it the Lead Producer considered my idea retarded, and an option to turn off the dialogue hotlinks won't be implement? :(

No. Brian and Matt liked the idea. I can't speak to why it wasn't in the first patch, but there could have been a bunch of reasons. I can check with Matt on Monday to see if it is currently on a future patch list.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
lel.
Glad I didn't buy it. Fuck Paradox.
Not that it'd make me finish the game, but still. Fuck Paradox.

I think people might be jumping to conclusions about the significance of this artbook. :M

badler Can you tell us anything about this?

There was no major content that was cut out to be held for DLC. There were a few items that weren't going to be put into the game that we talked about handing out in a DLC/expansion, but they were going to be cut regardless if we decided to use them in a future DLC or not.

As to the artbook, there was never any Act 4 or 5. At least for as long as I was on the project (April or May of this year). I know the story was changed around before I got onto the project, though, so it is possible there was an Act 4 or 5 at some point in the past.

Glaucon

Prophet
Probably already been mentioned, but the disfavored and scarlet chorus are just a rehash of the ncr and caesar's legion from F:NV.

Glaucon

Prophet
You're right, the scarlet chorus is snarkier than caesar's legion, but I chalk that up to all the great millennial talent coming up now.

Glaucon

Prophet
I'm not talking bout good vs evil, I'm talking about the whole orderly soldier types vs. the savage warriors. Also the chorus and legion armor are remarkably similar--even the weird head-dress thing which always struck me as odd looking on roman-style armor).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah but the legion is orderly.

Disfavored = heavily regimented, near-worship of their leader = Legion

Chorus = brutal methods that instill fear, assimilates conquered enemies = Legion

Sentinel

Arcane
You're the homosexual here.
They're both rehashes. The difference is, Caesar's Legion is a rehash done well. Scarlet Chorus is just a bunch of chaotic edgelords with no purpose.

Glaucon

Prophet
They're both rehashes. The difference is, Caesar's Legion is a rehash done well. Scarlet Chorus is just a bunch of chaotic edgelords with no purpose.

Aren't you just restating the obvious? It's implicit when someone says "this is just a rehash" that it's a bad one. Do you think people don't realize that most art consists of remaking/refashioning? Thankfully, even if they don't, a wise elf-kin will hop along to correct the infidel's follies.

Sentinel

Arcane

Aren't you just restating the obvious? It's implicit when someone says "this is just a rehash" that it's a bad one.
What? Rehash is re-using ideas with no improvement whatsoever. In this case, not only is there no improvement, there's the complete opposite it. It's a straight decline from Caesar's Legion to Scarlet Chorus. There is no "it's a bad one" implication in the sentence "it's just a rehash". If there is any implication is that you dislike the fact they "rehashed" it, not the "it" itself.

Do you think people don't realize that most art consists of remaking/refashioning? Thankfully, even if they don't, a wise elf-kin will hop along to correct the infidel's follies
You don't seem to be aware of it.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
There are superficial similarities between Legion and Chorus. But Legion doesn't have promotion by betrayal, psychotic leader and human wave tactics IIRC. It has emphasis on order unlike chorus.

I don't see any similarities between NCR and Disfavored. They both have professional armies, is that it? But NCR is never stated to be that good apart from some regiments, it's mostly conscripts. NCR is also a corrupt democracy/oligarchy which Disfavored aren't.

If you want some parallels that would be Sparta and Persia. Or, say, Seven Years War Russia and Prussia.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On first sight

Disfavored = NCR
CHORUS = Legion

Once you get to know about them, I don't feel that they are the same.

Combine those two factions and you have the legion.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yeah. chorus and legion are nothing alike. the only similarity is their cruelty, but their chain of command, philosophy, etc are all 180 defrees

Sentinel

Arcane
0:45 - Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you got into game dev.
4:00 - The ideas that went into this have been kicking around for a decade. How did you stumble upon the project?
5:45 - The appeal for isometric cRPGs/how it relates to publishers.
8:41 - What is it like to make an RPG where you're the bad guy?
10:07 - Tell us about the evil in South Park: Stick of Truth.
10:30 - How it compares to Tyranny's evil/How did the team balance evil in Tyranny to make it approachable and not terrible, but also not a big goof?
13:18 - As a game director, was it stressful to make horrible things seem pedestrian?
15:42 - Talk about choice design. Can you talk about the guidelines when designing a game for interesting choices and consequences?
19:08 - Dialogue system has a lot of effect on other systems. Can you talk about how that works and how you designed that?
22:13 - Level design in the game.
24:39 - Can we talk about how cool the hyperlinked text is? What is the deal with the text where you can mouse over and it reveals lore? Tell me more about that.
35:38 - The future patches/possible DLC.
38:18 - Pillars/guidelines of development that you tried to force on the team, if there were any.
42:47 - Did you modify the Unity 5 engine? Have you considered extra revenue by selling assets?
46:48 - What have you learned about your own values and how humans react to being forced to take the evil path?
50:46 - What's next for you after Tyranny? Join a different team at Obsidian?
51:41 - Talk about 6 second action rounds.
53:17 - Your twitter bio describes you as a gigantic nerd. Can you talk a little about D&D influence in video game designers?
56:36 - Infinitron asks "did you have to wrestle with memory limitations in regards to maximum number of characters on screen?"
58:10 - Bye Brian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom