Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I see Commissar Draco doesn't like my post.

Seriously, this shit story is dragon age tier. Every conversation choose faction a or faction b, btw my companions are edgy and in the end you're a special snowflake after all. And the combat is mindless cooldown spam with a barren bestiary requiring very little adaptation between encounters.

In the end this game should appeal to no one, because it looks like an old school game but plays like modern garbage.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Seriously, this shit story is dragon age tier. Every conversation choose faction a or faction b, btw my companions are edgy and in the end you're a special snowflake after all. And the combat is mindless cooldown spam with a barren bestiary requiring very little adaptation between encounters.

In the end this game should appeal to no one, because it looks like an old school game but plays like modern garbage.

Its Bioware 10 years ago game so setting and dialogue are not cringe worthy aside from all this I am strong womyn NPCs... most of them you can bitch slap anyway but its not Age of Decadence dialogues, setting or quest nor DDOS combat in that we are in agreement. I ratted your post
rating_retarded.png
for calling Tyranny :obviously: turn based game when its RTWP crap. Its (((professional journalist))) level error Comrade.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I felt like the whole post was retarded but this last bit takes the cake imo. Why would you want them to use the oldest cliché in the block?
It's like saying "I really wish they have you join forces with Kyros after you find out that an ancient evil dragon has awakened and wants to destroy the whole world in Tyranny 2"

PLOT TWIST: You are the ancient evil.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the PC and kyros met then fell in love, fucked, have a kid and the kid conquered the galaxy (kyros turns into whatever sex the opposiite of your PC so they can get pregnant [ or use magical shenanigans to make same sex couple pregnant])

or kyros are 10 billions of brain rats living together and trying to enslave the whole humanity

kyros is an alien which use advanced technology that the medieval people perceive as magic

hell bovine

Arcane
I felt like the whole post was retarded but this last bit takes the cake imo. Why would you want them to use the oldest cliché in the block?
It's like saying "I really wish they have you join forces with Kyros after you find out that an ancient evil dragon has awakened and wants to destroy the whole world in Tyranny 2"

PLOT TWIST: You are the ancient evil.
It would be hilarious if those spires turned out to be ancient weapons of mass destruction and your feeble attempts at rebellion would result in flattening half of the continent.

Azarkon

Arcane
the PC and kyros met then fell in love, fucked, have a kid and the kid conquered the galaxy (kyros turns into whatever sex the opposiite of your PC so they can get pregnant [ or use magical shenanigans to make same sex couple pregnant])

or kyros are 10 billions of brain rats living together and trying to enslave the whole humanity

kyros is an alien which use advanced technology that the medieval people perceive as magic

Kyros is a survivor from an ancient civilization which built the spires and discovered that there were no gods. Kyros was the leader of a group which believed that, in the absence of gods, humans needed an absolute ruler who would provide them with laws and order.

Tyranny is what Pillars of Eternity would have been but for Sawyer.

:nofunallowed:

hell bovine

Arcane
Kyros could be simply a title, secretly inherited by succession. (I doubt they will go this route, but it would explain the he/she/it confusion or why the Overlord's personality & motives are a mystery to most) Which would make you the next Overlord-in-training.

Deleted member 7219

I don't think they should do that out of respect for Avellone who never got to do his "Revan and Exile team up to take on the True Sith" story.

Remember, it was Avellone, not Bioware, who set that up. :)

Exactly. A lot of this game felt like an inferior take on KOTOR 2 as far as I'm concerned. But they have the chance to make good on it now - what's the point of conquering the world unless it achieves a greater purpose?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

100,000 players in two weeks and a 88% Steam rating. Looks like it succeeded in capturing a decent chunk of the "liked Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Dragon Age: Origins but hated the direction Bioware went in afterwards" crowd.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron

Its Bioware 10 years ago game so setting and dialogue are not cringe worthy aside from all this I am strong womyn NPCs... most of them you can bitch slap anyway but its not Age of Decadence dialogues, setting or quest nor DDOS combat in that we are in agreement. I ratted your post
rating_retarded.png
for calling Tyranny :obviously: turn based game when its RTWP crap. Its (((professional journalist))) level error Comrade.

Ah fair enough, I deserve it for posting at night

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Swordflight gives you the option to kill Lizardfolk babies, so get in line, Obsidian. MotB gave you the option to feed children to cannibals.

Malpercio

Arcane
Serious question, does anyone enjoy % based equipment systems?

% deflection
% fire damage
% whatthefuck

STOP DOING IT

I didn't see anyone comment about the music in the game , I used to rename files in Pillars because of the annoying battle music , I have not encountered anything like that in Tyranny

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Jinn

Arcane
I found the music in Tyranny to be quite a bit worse than PoE. Just a lot of really bland background tracks that never stood out.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I commented on the music, let me quote myself -

I'd say the "atmosphere" (I hate that word) is non-existent. It's Age of Decadence-lite, basically. There was a single interesting visual, the statue weeping blood at the start. The music is chaotic to a yet unheard-of degree, the main title music is some rhythmic clusters in the brass, which sounds wrong and anachronistic, the loading screen is one motif on the natural d minor scale repeated ad nauseam, the battle music is the usual percussive nonsense (but it uses the clusters from the start, look! Cyclical composition! Yeah, no), the "ambient" music is just accompaniment without melody (like he usually does), but it's not even that, I can't explain it. It's simply long held notes. It has no "drive", no musicality even. That's simply not how music works. I hope Obsidian don't pay him too much. I feel that music is under-utilized in games, it's always the same shit, I can't believe nobody gets sued for copyright. Phew, went on a tangent there. My point is that all the elements (writing, music, art etc.) are chaotic and don't work towards some kind of unified idea/concept. It's good that it's not simply senseless brutality all the time, but they somehow managed to make it too ...normal, I guess. I can't put it into words yet. I like the hidden treasures you can find with subterfuge though.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Serious question, does anyone enjoy % based equipment systems?
The equipment system in Tyranny isn't really percentage-based. Armor values, Recovery penalties, Accuracy/Skill/ArPen bonues - almost everything is a flat number. In fact, Deflection and Precision bonuses are also flat values. Deflection and Precision themselves are percentages but the bonuses from equipment are additive, so...

axedice

Cipher
The good : The setting is fresh and I liked the C&C in the beginning and throughout the game (up until the ending), the missives were a nice touch. UI is better than Pillars, a bar-like action queue with cast/recovery timers would be great. The stronghold system is also better with different bases throughout the world with various upgrades. A lot of the characters and and dialogues are well written and consistent within the setting. The spell creation system is simple but still fun.

The Neutral : Companions are not bland but they have huge infodumps right after recruitment. Obsidian really needs adopt the Avellonian way of companion pacing. Loyalty/Fear - Favor/Wrath system is not bad on paper but some dialogues feel forced just to adjust scores. Skill based system feels stupid by the end since every athletics check is passable by a wimpy mage.

The Bad : Forced linear ending kills the game's buildup. They should've added branching endings, including staying loyal to Kyros. Tunon's dialogue when he swears fealty to you was cringeworthy, same goes for Graven Ashe. Overall the Archons were downplayed and your sudden rise to power was overplayed. You're killing Archons for Kyros left and right, then within 15 minutes you challenge his power and the two of you are at war?.. Could've worked for a character who unites the southern resistance, not for one who breaks it along with the chorus dogs to bring Kyros' peace to the tiers with iron and magic.

I think they rushed the game and skipped QA, especially in the 3rd act. Maybe playing Age of Decadence and Underrail recently has increased our expectations from Obsidian beyond reason, yet there are moments when Tyranny delivers on said expectations (Regent of Stalwart twist and resolution(s), destruction of Azure to starve Chorus) , then there are moments it feels almost Biowarian (I find you....Innocent! Now I join yuo!11). Overall I liked the game except the ending, hope Obsidian doesn't completely give away to decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom