Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny Previews - Gameplay Footage and Conquest Mode Details

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's stupid if resting consumes no time.

Doesn't necessarily have to be an hours-long rest. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hah, there are context-specific mouse-over pop-ups in dialogue:

CkghaPF.jpg

Definitely a new approach to writing.

Drowed

Arcane
Wikipedia text in-game. Oh, that's new (not).

But I agree, that it's way, way better than a loredump conversation out of nowhere, like those dialogs where they say things that your character should know from the beginning. That is, when they don't play the amnesia card, or when the character came from a very remote area and conveniently doesn't know anything about the place - but any gardener or garbage man has as his life's mission to teach the details of local politics to a complete stranger.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
actually, it is a pretty elegant solution on giving lore in a more meta-way. sometimes lore dump bothers me especially if you play as a character who live their whole life in that world. planescape torment and baldur's gate work when you ask basic knowledge question because you're an amnesiac and the latter lived a very sheltered life. but for example, geneforge (esp the later games) or avadon, you ask this basic questions like what is this country, who rule this city, etc just kinda breaks the immersion ( i dislike that word, but i don't have enough vocabulary to express what i feel) of the game.

it's like i asked my neigbor "hey, where's the way to the nearest market?"

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's interesting how Tolkien managed to present Middle-Earth to the world without long-winded, boring exposition dumps or appendices attached to his books which explained things. Sure, he is description-heavy and that somewhat bogs down the pacing (it also being a book is a factor), but he was creating a new world for arguably the first time in history, so that can be excused. NPCs spending paragraphs upon paragraphs explaining common in-universe knowledge, which is not only pace-stiffening and boring, breaks the much lauded "suspension of disbelief" that Coleridge was talking about all those years ago. You have to be able to weave that information into the narrative in such a way as to present it to the audience and not confuse them on the way there. I remember Kingdom of Amalur's intro going on and on about "See-lie fey" (or however it was spelled) and courts of winter and summer having some kind of conflict which wasn't explained and it could not be explained because we didn't even know what those fey things are. Kinda like going "The Smarghansks are in a terrible war with the Murskonkiks over ideological differences in their Trerkrantsk Lertravik and only the Furskalresrim and their Movtreronik Teqsum made headway in the decisive battle of Rezormerik during the Neskalpic Vetrerum." Literally nothing was said there and none of this matters to anyone, let alone being understood. Now imagine having to click on every one of those words to get whole new paragraphs upon paragraphs of explanations.

Anyway, better world presentation, please.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You just have to find the sweet spot between long winded explanation and complete silence.

Videogame is a few medium where you can get a pass of using meta knowledge to build a world (in the olden games, i remember the manuals often have lore dumps so they dont have to force it into the game) and have the choice of it being optional.

In PoE, i honestly enjoyed abit about the lore dumps, but it got old in the end of the game or when you try to do a second playtru

Weasel
Will this just be snippets of lore or will it move into handholding territory? Mentioning the historical precedents is one thing, is it necessary to then spell out that "It is highly unlikely that Ashe's Aegis will save Drastus..."? Too early to tell without seeing more of the game, but given the casualised approach to other things I know what I'd bet.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Meanwhile Torment had weird world o Planescape explained by good design, interestin characters an intriguing quests that explained setting an all its peculiarities, an that you wanted to find out about. Tyranny, fuck that lets just make a wiki full o exposition, lazy an crude MMO shit.

Sizzle

Arcane
Meanwhile Torment had weird world o Planescape explained by good design, interestin characters an intriguing quests that explained setting an all its peculiarities, an that you wanted to find out about. Tyranny, fuck that lets just make a wiki full o exposition, lazy an crude MMO shit.

Maybe, but in PST you played an amnesiac (one of the few good instances of that tired old cliche), while here you play as a war veteran who's intimately familiar with the world's lore.

In PST it makes sense (heck - the game encourages you) to ask questions most beings know the answers to. Here, asking "Who is Graven Ashe?" would make you seem retarded.

So, maybe not the best possible solution, but much better than PoE's "They don't have adra where you come from?"

Neanderthal

Arcane
Or have a tutorial/opening section where everythin like this is introduced organically through characters, items, quests an good design, Fatebinder had to find out about all this shit himself, hes livin in a Bronze Age world wi out modern communications after all. Could have battle where he was turned by Overlord, his ascension to Fatebinder position an learnin his duties, war council wi Voices, Graven an Tuna preparin to invade Tiers, audience wi Overlord or any o a hundred scenarios, but instead wi get this wiki shit.

Make world an situations interestin enough an well explained in openin an you've no need o this exposition handholdin crap.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't that what the game is already doing? The fact that the information is in a pop-up probably means that it's not strictly necessary to read it to understand what's going on. Read "Graven Ashe will protect", fight in a battle with the Disfavored and watch their health regenerate, figure it out yourself.

Mark Richard

Arcane
actually, it is a pretty elegant solution on giving lore in a more meta-way. sometimes lore dump bothers me especially if you play as a character who live their whole life in that world. planescape torment and baldur's gate work when you ask basic knowledge question because you're an amnesiac and the latter lived a very sheltered life. but for example, geneforge (esp the later games) or avadon, you ask this basic questions like what is this country, who rule this city, etc just kinda breaks the immersion

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pretty good solution and something that definetly was a criticism from everybody for PoE... gives me hope that Obsidian is learning from their mistakes
Everytime I see a video of loredumps and see Ultima I remember Spoony's epic rant on "whats a paladin"

hpstg

Savant
This looks better than I expected it to look after seeing some of the people making it. I really hope I was wrong.

Sannom

Augur
So let me get this straight: this entire game happens in the span of 8 days? Will we get to see more of Tyranny universe or we are stuck inside that one area?
It's more likely that the timer ends when you conquer the citadel that was featured in the first gameplay videos.

Will this just be snippets of lore or will it move into handholding territory?
My guess is that the red/orange tooltips are pure lore dumps whereas the blue ones (like the one above) gives you information/tips about how to handle the current situation.

Or have a tutorial/opening section where everythin like this is introduced organically through characters, items, quests an good design, Fatebinder had to find out about all this shit himself, hes livin in a Bronze Age world wi out modern communications after all. Could have battle where he was turned by Overlord, his ascension to Fatebinder position an learnin his duties, war council wi Voices, Graven an Tuna preparin to invade Tiers, audience wi Overlord or any o a hundred scenarios, but instead wi get this wiki shit.
Fuck you, I had enough of that in Dragon Age : Origins. No more Battle of Ostagar!

Morkar Left

It would be cool if the context-specific infolinks would be dependent on your abilities/skills.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Writers will get lazy and make us read the pop-ups to be able to understand what's going on. Just like quest-markers, avoiding them will not be an option. Decline I say.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm reasonably sure that the Faction system/C&C in this will make it a diamond in the rough that excels at one thing at the expense of everything else. Whether the writing is the absolute best it could be, the fact that it won't be textbook info dumps automatically means it will be good enough to get the job done.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom