Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If casuals find the battles bland, woe is me :( :(
I wonder what difficulty they aare playing at? Normal probably means you will smash everything to pieces.

Cassar

Savant
One journo which tested every difficulty level says there are massive differences between them.

tripedal

Augur
You’re often not even allowed subtle ways to undermine your faction. A late-game Disfavored quest told me I needed to fight off some foes and then repair the damage they’d done for a spell to complete. “Ah,” I thought, “a chance for me to do purposefully-shoddy repairs and foil the Disfavored’s plan.” But no, there’s no moral salvation. Clicking on the device in question, I could either fix it and finish the quest or not.

Again, it felt artificial. There’s just not enough depth to Tyranny at times, and the remaining 10 to 15 hours felt a bit like being railroaded to an inevitable conclusion—one dependent on which of the three main factions I sided with, sure, but still inevitable.

So much for C&C...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Less C&C than Age of Decadence, more than Icewind Dale.

I guess that'll morph into "More C&C than Icewind Dale" on the cover of the GOTY edition.

tripedal

Augur
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/10/tyranny-review-in-progress/

Pillars was rammed with combat – it was, in fact, the game’s biggest weakness, where tiresome skirmishes popped up incessantly and required far too much micro-management for their lack of import to what you were playing. Tyranny is just the same, just without as much other cool stuff going on in between the fights.

That momentum continues to build and build into the final hours, pointing to a very exciting conclusion that had me desperate to see it unfold. And then, just on the cusp of that climax, when all of those sacrifices and awful decisions are coming to a head, Tyranny squanders it on a cliffhanger. I head into a menu screen, make a single, inconsequential decision, and that's it—the story ends.

Last edited:

entr0py

Scholar
As journos have to finish the game quite quickly in order to write the reviews in time I believe they are playing at most on normal difficulty, while looking at pillars we know that difficulty really changes the pace/difficulty of the battles quite much, so I'm still hopeful it will be rather a challenge on higher difficulties than just a chore. And judging from the early reviews the writing and setting seems to be interesting and pretty good.... can't wait to sink my teeth into it tonight.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Less C&C than Age of Decadence, more than Icewind Dale.

I guess that'll morph into "More C&C than Icewind Dale" on the cover of the GOTY edition.
I guess if we translate it into food we get, "Less tasty than a chocolate cake but more than shit". Not really a selling point (I am not saying IWD is a shit game but C&C options in that game do equal to shit).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^Our review will not take that long.

Tyranny Reviews

While it will take three hours for the game to unlock, the first reviews for Obsidian Entertainment's Tyranny are out. The title has garnered a few positive reviews so far, though they do suggest the reception will overall be more mixed than with Pillars of Eternity.

PC Gamer found the ending abrupt and its combat dumbed down, 75/100.

That abrupt end is conflicting and frustrating. On one hand, I'm excited by the prospect of a sequel and the implications that it has for my character. On the other, the ending feels so abrupt and unsatisfying—relieving none of that pent up emotion or tension I had. It sets the stage for a final battle, but then slams the door shut on the story and slips a half-hearted summary of what happens next under it and the credits roll.

It's hard not to let an ending like that color my impressions of Tyranny. At the same time, my second playthrough has reminded me what a memorable journey it was before everything deflated in service of setting the stage for a sequel. Tyranny has fantastic ideas and its worldbuilding is unparalleled, but botches the execution, preventing it from all coming together to form a modern classic. When the story isn't pushing you to make specific decisions or bombarding you with repetitive combat, it feels like it could have rivalled the likes of Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape: Torment. It's still worth playing, but Tyranny falls far short of the excellent standard set by Pillars of Eternity.

MMORPG finds next to no flaw, on the other hand, 9/10.

I won’t touch much on the story, but Tyranny’s is a fantastic tale whose decisions are entirely up to you as the Fatebinder. Without giving specifics, I really started to feel the pressure of being the hand of an evil Tyrant when I was tasked with choosing between killing a baby because of its lineage, who also happened to be my ally’s grandchild, or trying to subvert Kyros’ law and drawing unwanted attention towards my rise in power. It’s a very heavy game, and what may seem like a simple choice at first can have truly far reaching consequences as you go on.

Tyranny is a game that must be played by any RPG fan. Some may knock its “old school” approach and style, but that’s about the only complaint that could be levied against such a wonderfully unique and deep RPG. It does everything Pillars of Eternity tried to do and it does so better. Consider Tyranny highly recommended and one of the best RPGs of the year.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun didn't finish the game but has a review-in-progress, with some very mixed thoughts. An excerpt:

Muddled? I am. There’s so much going on here, but I never really feel like I’ve got a proper grip on it. It feels like a puddle the size of the Atlantic – this vast concept, but too gossamer to sink in deep. Huge stories, but minor roles in them. Exquisite detail, but all going by too fast. And yet, pretty good with it. Just not as good as what’s come before.

GameWatcher, 9.0/10.

Overall Tyranny provides a fantastic RPG experience with solid mechanics and an interesting choice filled story that should keep players engaged throughout. Everything about the game oozes quality and while it has taken a lot from Pillars of Eternity and feels very similar, it offers a unique story that certainly sets it apart.

It’s nice to have a game where the setting isn’t about stopping the evil but instead working within the confines of that evil. Doing good deeds overtly will get you killed, using the system to your benefit is key. The game gives players a choice of who they want to be within an evil overlord’s regime and the execution of that by itself, is impressive.

GamingOnLinux, scoreless.

That said, my biggest nitpick is how the game wrapped up. It felt relatively abrupt, given the rather huge developments in the game world. Often in fiction a lot of specifics about developments will be left to the imagination of the reader so that one can fill in the blanks with what they like. This is a balancing act and one that in my full playthrough I felt was askew. Don’t get me wrong – I thoroughly enjoyed my adventure, the choices I made, and the reasons why I was making them. But even greater issues and questions that seemed to pop up in the relative background to your immediate actions, around halfway through the game, never got much closure. I fully expected a few more hours of gameplay after I did a few dramatic things in order to resolve an incoming crisis. The fact that things ended with a relative whimper may have been due to all my previous choices. However, I’m more than open to playing through the game again in hopes to see if the endings vary dramatically.

If not, the game at least sets itself up nicely for a sequel. And that’s a good thing! Despite my issues with some of the storytelling and systems, Tyranny gets a solid endorsement from me. It’s good to not have to follow a set path and it’s even better to be able to have such wildly different experiences than your friends. I certainly look forward to talking more to Liam after he gets to the ending. In the meanwhile, I’ll be starting a new game, leisurely seeing how things play out differently this time around.

GameRant, 4.5/5.

In short, this is Game of Thrones, not Lord of the Rings. Being noble is all well and good in a standard fantasy story, but Tyranny makes sure that being smart is key. This is truly where Tyranny‘s quality really shines, steering the player off the path of a perfect avatar of incorruptible will.

Of course, the game is not perfect, and some may find the odd all-or-nothing decision regarding forces to recruit jarring, or the locations within the world itself a little too devoid of scope to be a truly immersive experience. However, it’s in the large concepts, and in its gentle manipulation of the player’s trained responses, that Tyranny finds its purpose. A must-have for fans of the genre, and a worthwhile title for those after a truly different experience.

PCGamesN, 8/10.

I have to wonder if Tyranny was meant to be much larger. There’s certainly plenty of evidence to suggest that this is the case: the dearth of enemy diversity, the uneven pacing, the jarring final act, and then there’s a crafting and research system that barely has any time to develop – it feels like a lot of cuts were made. It’s especially disappointing in a game that is often genuinely exceptional.

Despite this disappointment, I can’t help but be impressed with what Tyranny does get right. Though I’ve mentioned Knights of the Old Republic II and Planescape: Torment, there isn’t really another RPG like Obsidian’s latest. It’s incredibly bold, and if you go down the darker path, often sickening. When it’s at its best – pretty much the entirety of the fantastic and thankfully quite meaty second act – it more than holds its own against the greatest PC RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian Entertainment Tyranny AMA Q&A

To promote their latest title, Tyranny, the folks at Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive engaged in an Ask Me Anything Q&A with the Reddit community yesterday. On Obsidian's part, the developers involved were CEO Feargus Urquhart, Tyranny game director Brian Heins, programmer and designer Tim Cain, and PR manager Mikey Dowling.

Predictably, many of the questions were not actually about Tyranny, with plenty of fans more interested in asking about the Fallout franchise, Alpha Protocol, Obsidian's future plans, and more.

I'm going to quote a few questions and answers, starting with the Tyranny-themed ones:

From what I understand Tyranny takes place in a era similar to the end of the Bronze Age and Pillars of Eternity was inspired by the Early Modern Period. And of course Tim worked on Arcanum back at Trokia which was inspired by the Industrial Revolution. So I'm wondering, what's it like to work on a fantasy RPG which isn't set in the Late Medieval Period like almost all fantasy RPGs tend to be? How does setting it in a different time period than RPGs typically are allow you to explore new things with stories, technology, culture, etc? Do any challenges arise from going outside familiar ground? Also is there any time period in history which is generally overlooked that you'd love to set a game in?

Brian Heins: I think the benefit of setting games in different eras is that it helps you think about stories and characters in different ways. When you think about medieval knights and maidens fair, there are certain stories that come to mind and certain ways that characters would relate to each other (nobles vs. peasants, etc.). There's also a lot of, for lack of a better term, baggage that comes from having read a ton of fantasy books, playing a ton of fantasy games that are set in that period. Taking a step back and choosing a different era lets you shake off some of the mental baggage, lets you look around and see what new ideas you can use for your stories.

There are ton of historical eras I'd love to make games in. I've mentioned in the past that I'd love to make a spy RPG in the Cold War period. I can also see interesting possibilities in the colonial American era.

Tim Cain: I loved working on a fantasy game that was not set in a medieval era. I like exploring events like the industrial revolution, the rise of capitalism, the introduction of wide spread travel, the melting pot of race and culture, and other things that are often not found in traditional fantasy.

I think a big hurdle is that most people EXPECT traditional fantasy, so you need to redirect their expectations so that they are not surprised by the new elements in your world. This can often be done with an opening cinematic to explain your world, or during character creation.

Hey guys, a question on story paths. I know there's been a large emphasis on reactivity in Tyranny. Without giving too much away, how much variance can we expect within the Disfavored/Scarlet Chorus/Rebels paths in the game? How much does siding with one or the other 'lock you in'?

Brian Heins: Each of the major quest paths through the game is a completely different set of quests. You'll travel to many of the same areas (with some unique locations), but the things you're doing there will be different based on the story path you're following. So - a lot of variance. :)

As for being 'locked in' - if you ultimately decide you don't want to work with the Disfavored, Chorus, or Rebels, you can always choose to betray your alliance and move forward as a truly independent agent. That's its own unique story path, as well.

In terms of game design, what were the biggest challenges when developing Tyranny?

Brian Heins: The biggest challenge has been our level of choice & reactivity in the game. We've mentioned before that there are 4 major quest paths through the game, which give you very different quests, NPCs you interact with, storylines, etc. Weaving all of those paths together through the various areas of the game has been a challenge.

It's taken a lot of dedicated work from our design, narrative, and QA teams to have this all come together in a way that we're proud of. It's been a lot of work, and I hope that everyone enjoys seeing the different stories as much as we've enjoyed creating them.

For Min/Max purpose, Can you Respec the Player Character & Companions ? If so, does it give us back the Points spent in Skill Trees only or Attribute Points are given back aswell ?

Brian Heins: We do not have a respec mechanic implemented for Tyranny. It's something we've discussed, but we had to focus on other features for release.

Coming from POE, what game mechanics have you decided to evolve with Tyranny to push the genre forwards? And what do you feel were POE`s biggest success?

Feargus Urquhart: The two areas that we are evolving, or just trying something different, is really with the conquest mode during character creation (you create the starting state of the world, not just your character), and Tyranny is not a class based system. That's not really an evolution for the RPG genre, but it is for Infinity Engine style games.

For PoE, I think our biggest success is that we did what we set out to do. Create a modern IE game with a great story, and whole new world. Having a model to create a game off of made this easier, but we still had to really sit down and think about what we needed to update, and what we needed to keep the same. I give Josh Sawyer, Bobby Null, Adam Brennecke, and the rest of the PoE team a huge amount of credit for walking that line really, really well.

Hi there! Tyranny's stylized artwork in its cutscenes (for instance, the map full of Kyros' banners at the start of the game) is really incredible. What decisions lead to this art style, and what aspects of the imagery did the artist(s) focus on to capture Tyranny's tone so well?

Brian Heins: Thank you so much! I just passed your comments along to the artists who worked on those. It will mean a lot to them. :)

This style evolved over the course of development. It started as we were working on implementing the Conquest (during character creation, you get to decide how your character was involved in Kyros conquest of the Tiers). We wanted some visual images that would represent the various conflicts that players could decide on.

Initially I was thinking this would be something like Pillars of Eternity's Scripted Interactions - line drawings. Brian Menze, our art lead, wanted to experiment with different styles. He had some of our concept artists work on ideas, and Lindsey Laney hit on this style that was phenomenal. We decided to create all of the Conquest imagery in that same style.

When we were looking at doing our 'story slides' - the slides you see before the game starts, at each of the Act breaks, and at the end of the game, we decided to use a very similar look to capture that same tone.

What aspect of Tyranny are you proudest of?

Feargus Urquhart: Personally, I really like the art style, and the concept that we talked about years ago with the conquest of character creation works great. That original concept was where we asked the question, "What if you didn't just create the starting point of your character, but the starting point of the world as well?"

Brian Heins: I agree with what Feargus said, and want to add the magic system. It's an idea I've had in my head for a while, and being able to see it come together in the game has been great. Watching the reactions of streamers and press as they've been exposed to the system has been fantastic.

Also, this may sound sappy, but I'm incredibly proud of all of the hard work that the developers have put into this game. The game has shaped up into something far more than I initially imagined it would be, and it's due to the team's effort and creativity.

I've heard some people being worried about the "timer" for the first act in Tyranny. Can you talk a bit about this? Is it a strict timer that will force you to quickly rush through content? Or will players still have enough time to take everything in?

Brian Heins: There is plenty of time to complete all of the content in Act 1 within the 8 day time limit of Kyros' Edict. We set the time after having our QA team members play through the game on the various difficulty modes and keeping track of how long it took them.

Whats up with that review embargo until tomorrow?

Paradox Interactive: Honestly? In this case we (Paradox) got review codes out late to journalists. This wasn't intentional, but sometimes stuff happens. And when you have an RPG, you really want people to be able to play it as much as possible before reviewing so they can gather their thought and impressions, rather than rushing it.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How are spells handled? Will I be able to see my characters in combat or are we looking at NWN2 and PoE madness?

Fairfax

Arcane
PC Gamer:

On the wrong path

Fortunately, the worldbuilding more than makes up for boring combat. It's a testament to Obsidian's vivid writing that I was invested in what was happening from the very beginning until the final credits despite glaring flaws. As good as the story can be at times, though, it also has a nasty habit of forcing me to make big decisions without understanding the implications (and then denying me a chance to change my mind). Though I chose to side with the Scarlet Chorus in the prologue, I soon grew to despise their methods, but I never had an opportunity to turn coat and switch sides.

At one point I sent an important character to meet with a certain Archon. Unbeknownst to me at the time this resulted in their sudden and brutal execution. It became clear that this Archon would repeat his warm welcome with other notable characters I encountered, but I was never given any other option than to send each to their death. Characters I cared deeply for were skewered against my will. That's frustrating because, as a Fatebinder, I'm supposed to be independent and above the Archons, not beneath them. It's not always an issue, but the pivotal moments when it crops up strip all the agency I have in the story away.

Despite this, Tyranny still has great moments that coalesce into a well-told tale of rebellion and betrayal, building a great deal of momentum heading into its electrifying final act. Just when the story couldn't get any more tense, a revelation pulls the rug out from everything I thought I knew. I won't spoil anything, but Tyranny's power fantasy is so well-realized in the latter half of the story that it changed my entire perspective in the most satisfying way.

That momentum continues to build and build into the final hours, pointing to a very exciting conclusion that had me desperate to see it unfold. And then, just on the cusp of that climax, when all of those sacrifices and awful decisions are coming to a head, Tyranny squanders it on a cliffhanger. I head into a menu screen, make a single, inconsequential decision, and that's it—the story ends.

That abrupt end is conflicting and frustrating. On one hand, I'm excited by the prospect of a sequel and the implications that it has for my character. On the other, the ending feels so abrupt and unsatisfying—relieving none of that pent up emotion or tension I had. It sets the stage for a final battle, but then slams the door shut on the story and slips a half-hearted summary of what happens next under it and the credits roll.

It's hard not to let an ending like that color my impressions of Tyranny. At the same time, my second playthrough has reminded me what a memorable journey it was before everything deflated in service of setting the stage for a sequel. Tyranny has fantastic ideas and its worldbuilding is unparalleled, but botches the execution, preventing it from all coming together to form a modern classic. When the story isn't pushing you to make specific decisions or bombarding you with repetitive combat, it feels like it could have rivalled the likes of Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape: Torment.

It's still worth playing, but Tyranny falls far short of the excellent standard set by Pillars of Eternity.

7.5/10

http://www.pcgamer.com/tyranny-review/
Interesting how he gave one of the lowest scores but praised the companions. I don't like any of them so far.
Also,
Barik, a noble Disfavored soldier trapped inside of a suit of slowly rusting armor, stands as one of the more tragic characters. Unable to remove any piece of his steel skin, he's forced to shit and piss on himself. At one point, we even had a sobering conversation about his inability to have sex or masturbate. That conversation wasn't played up for laughs, but afforded a painful glimpse into Barik's living hell.
I was going to wait until I finished the game to judge the companions, but if that's Barik's struggle, he stays just as bad.

If companions like Barik were afforded loyalty missions or more involved side stories, they could easily rival the genre's most memorable.
Why was this guy so touched by the fact Mr. Armour shits himself?

Sadly, while the skill system has all the right ingredients, they're wasted on repetitive combat that rarely offers much of a challenge. Fans who adore Pillars of Eternity for its in-depth and demanding combat will be disappointed as Tyranny pulls a Dragon Age 2 and simplifies things with middling results. Party size is limited to just four characters instead of six, and friendly fire is nonexistent—greatly reducing the need for proper positioning and strategy in combat. These problems are further compounded by poor AI. Enemy parties will gladly let you axe their feeble mages without protest, and my own companions were liable to make stupid decisions if I wasn't there to catch them.
Agreed. No friendly-fire and poor AI make combat repetitive and easy (on Hard difficulty). AI is a lot better on Hard than Normal, though, which is the difficulty this guy picked.
I like how the enemies try very hard to kill your mage(s) first, but sometimes they try too hard, to the point where they disengage often and get wrecked for it. This makes it more challenging in the first parts of the game because your party has low levels and shitty gear, but it gets much easier as you progress.

As good as the story can be at times, though, it also has a nasty habit of forcing me to make big decisions without understanding the implications (and then denying me a chance to change my mind).
The guy wanted to make all decisions knowing the consequences beforehand and be able to retcon? :retarded:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As good as the story can be at times, though, it also has a nasty habit of forcing me to make big decisions without understanding the implications (and then denying me a chance to change my mind).

Jesus christ.

:lol: Save often and in multiple slots, I guess?

People are actually trying to make games to impress these people. What a task!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom