Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Release Thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tyranny-release-thread.111973/

In an interview with Game Informer, Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian, was asked about the cancelled RPG they were doing for Microsoft (called "Stormlands" according to some sources) and revealed that it's been given new life with another publisher and is to be revealed within the coming months.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqYxXEdw8U&feature=youtu.be&t=2h32m25s

Last edited by a moderator:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Nice. Instead of getting a deal and creating something great like New Vegas 2 or Bloodlines 2, they're going to flounder around with more fantasy shit. Guess I'll check in with Obsidian again 4 years from now.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Nice. Instead of getting a deal and creating something great like New Vegas 2 or Bloodlines 2, they're going to flounder around with more fantasy shit. Guess I'll check in with Obsidian again 4 years from now.

What?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Oh, I'll clarify.

Instead of getting a deal and creating something great like New Vegas 2 or Bloodlines 2, they're going to flounder around with more fantasy shit. Guess I'll check in with Obsidian again 4 years from now.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Oh, I'll clarify.

Instead of getting a deal and creating something great like New Vegas 2 or Bloodlines 2, they're going to flounder around with more fantasy shit. Guess I'll check in with Obsidian again 4 years from now.

Still what?

A: How do we know its fantasy in that sense?
B: How would Obsidian even get to these projects. You make it sound like they had a choice. Fallout is Bethesda and even if there still was a working relationship its doubtful they would have allowed one before Faloout 4 released. And nearly 2 years ago White Wolf was still in CCP hell.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My guess is that Phage saw the word "Stormlands" and assumed that's "fantasy". Thing is:

1) We don't know if Stormlands was going to be a fantasy game.

2) This is not Stormlands. Stormlands was cancelled in 2012. This is a different game allegedly based on Stormlands that could be in an entirely different genre.

3) Stormlands sounds like fantasy? First thing that came to my mind when I read that name is "Borderlands". I guess maybe if you've been on a Game of Thrones binge you might think otherwise.

tl;dr Phage needs to go back to Prosperland.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Still what?

A: How do we know its fantasy in that sense?
B: How would Obsidian even get to these projects. You make it sound like they had a choice. Fallout is Bethesda and even if there still was a working relationship its doubtful they would have allowed one before Faloout 4 released. And nearly 2 years ago White Wolf was still in CCP hell.
My guess is that Phage saw the word "Stormlands" and assumed that's "fantasy". Thing is:

1) We don't know if Stormlands was going to be a fantasy game.

2) This is not Stormlands. Stormlands was cancelled in 2012. This is a different game allegedly based on Stormlands that could be in an entirely different genre.

3) Stormlands sounds like fantasy? First thing that came to my mind when I read that name is "Borderlands". I guess maybe if you've been on a Game of Thrones binge you might think otherwise.

tl;dr Phage needs to go back to Prosperland.

lmao. "STORMLANDS SOUNDS LIKE FANTASY?" Yes. It does. How the fuck does it not? What other genre is would feature a land of storms in a serious capacity? Also, I'm not a GOTfag, but considering if you do a google search you literally get 1000 results of Game of Thrones, I don't know how you could possibly NOT associate it with that. How do you associate that with 'borderlands' other than the lands part? I'm not claiming it was literally a GOT RPG (though Obsidian DID turn one down, as you reported on, unless you forgot - it's possible it was another potential GoT RPG) You need to have some driver updates installed or something Infinitron, I'm disappointed in your programmers.

Regardless, this doesn't change anything I've said. I stated that this means Obsidian isn't doing FNV 2 or Bloodlines 2 now. This is obviously, blatantly, neither of those projects.

To answer Durafram's question on how they'd get either project:
- It's been said by a couple Obsidian employees they'd like another shot at Fallout. NV sold very, very well. Aside from the metacritic deal gaffe, I don't see why it's such a stretch to imagine another arrangement being possible; especially since Obsidian is now in a better position to negotiate (self sufficient from Pillars of Plebternity, NV was a huge financial success)
- Paradox recently bought World of Darkness's vidya rights. Paradox published PoE. Clearly Paradox will want to use the WoD license to make a game. HMMMM.

The point is, Obsidian will be working on 'STERMLANDS' and milking PoE instead of directing the remaining talent they have towards a project that'll actually be good - like the two I mentioned. Not sure what is so hard to understand about this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
- Paradox recently bought World of Darkness's vidya rights. Paradox published PoE. Clearly Paradox will want to use the WoD license to make a game. HMMMM.

"Recently" as in two weeks ago. This new game (which again, is not Stormlands - Stormlands was cancelled) has been in development since 2014.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
"Recently" as in two weeks ago. This new game (which again, is not Stormlands - Stormlands was cancelled) has been in development since 2014.

Men, did you just delete your other post so you could make a new post to address a different point? That's some next level Infinitroning.

Anyways, I do understand the situation. You are proving my point - which is that Obsidian is now definitely NOT going to be working on either of the two projects I mentioned for quite some time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Anyways, I do understand the situation. You are proving my point - which is that Obsidian is now definitely NOT going to be working on either of the two projects I mentioned for quite some time.

Perhaps. Can't blame them for needing work in 2014, can you?

But the recent trend seems to be to announce games only when they're a relatively short time away from release, so maybe this new project gets released sooner than you think, freeing up the team.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Perhaps. Can't blame them for needing work in 2014, can you?

But the recent trend seems to be to announce games only when they're a relatively short time away from release, so maybe this new project gets released sooner than you think, freeing up the team.

No, I can't blame them. I'm just being an entitled, selfish shitface, since that's what you're supposed to do on the 'dex :smug:

Duraframe300

Arcane
lmao. "STORMLANDS SOUNDS LIKE FANTASY?" Yes. It does. How the fuck does it not? What other genre is would feature a land of storms in a serious capacity? Also, I'm not a GOTfag, but considering if you do a google search you literally get 1000 results of Game of Thrones, I don't know how you could possibly NOT associate it with that. How do you associate that with 'borderlands' other than the lands part? I'm not claiming it was literally a GOT RPG (though Obsidian DID turn one down, as you reported on, unless you forgot - it's possible it was another potential GoT RPG) You need to have some driver updates installed or something Infinitron, I'm disappointed in your programmers.

Regardless, this doesn't change anything I've said. I stated that this means Obsidian isn't doing FNV 2 or Bloodlines 2 now. This is obviously, blatantly, neither of those projects.

To answer Durafram's question on how they'd get either project:
- It's been said by a couple Obsidian employees they'd like another shot at Fallout. NV sold very, very well. Aside from the metacritic deal gaffe, I don't see why it's such a stretch to imagine another arrangement being possible; especially since Obsidian is now in a better position to negotiate (self sufficient from Pillars of Plebternity, NV was a huge financial success)

The point is, Obsidian will be working on 'STERMLANDS' and milking PoE instead of directing the remaining talent they have towards a project that'll actually be good - like the two I mentioned. Not sure what is so hard to understand about this.

Post-Apocalyptic movies and books (the desert type) come to my mind first honestly as well. Much less so fantasy.

NV didn't get Obsidian anything. They were paid for work done, did not get anything from the sales. While I don't know the deal, Armored Warfare is probably the better analogy.

Also my point was these things weren't true in January 2014. Which is when this project presumably started.

Nines

Learned
Definitely wouldn't mind if they did something based on WoD license. Maybe the PoE team could take care of that. Although I'm not sure if Paradox will like 2D format.
Stormlands is reminds me of Horizon: Zero Dawn for some reason. Dinosaurs are slowly becoming the next big thing after zombies.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Post-Apocalyptic movies and books (the desert type) come to my mind first honestly as well. Much less so fantasy.

It's pretty much just you and Infinitron on that train of thought - take a glance at the comments in the other thread from the news subforum.

NV didn't get Obsidian anything. They were paid for work done, did not get anything from the sales. While I don't know the deal, Armored W[arfare is probably the better analogy.

Also my point was these things weren't true in January 2014. Which is when this project presumably started.

? It kept their lights on. Sure, there were allegedly layoffs because they didn't get a bonus due to metacritic (these kinds of bonuses are extremely common in the industry), but to put it bluntly, that's pretty poor planning (budgeting your staff around a potential bonus). The point is, now they are in a much stronger position financially (NV is a proven financial success, history with the Bethengine, self-sufficiency from PoE)

Again, the ENTIRE POINT of my post was that there's no chance that they're going to work on Bloodlines 2 or NV2 anytime soon, as your post affirms, once more.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Again, the ENTIRE POINT of my post was that there's no chance that they're going to work on Bloodlines 2 or NV2 anytime soon, as your post affirms, once more.

Never say never.

Also

I really do not think we're the only two. Fantasy is just the go-to thought when it comes to rpgs.

Could be anything though, the only thing I'm saying that I can count way more sci-fi/post-apoc/modern stories where storms (Especially in such a context as *Stormlands* played a big role than I can pure fantasy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I imagine Stormlands is fantasy on account of

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/153226564199391232

In 11th-century Scandinavia, an enslaved man dubbed One Eye (Mads Mikkelsen) because of an old facial wound stages a violent uprising against those who imprisoned him. One Eye links up with Eirik (Ewan Stewart) and other Christian fanatics who aim to use their muscle to spread God's word. Headed for Jerusalem, One Eye and his shipmates must cope with crew infighting and attacks from the coastline. But the journey's challenges are only a harbinger of even greater brutality.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't know if that tells us anything other than that JES was writing a grim scene, but that movie sounds cool.

pippin

What's this thing people are saying the new Obsidian rpg will be an xbone exclusive? They apparently got it from some french mag.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Obsidian have locked their own faith: constantly producing derivative works based on already established and hugely popular successes of others.
For fucks sake guys, that was acceptable when the "evul publishurs" were running the show, but it this day and age it is downright cowardly and pathetic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom