Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the few things of consequence was that siding with different factions gives you combat abilities unique to that faction.
"During character creation you get to play through how your character was involved in the conquest of the world. You were part of Kyros' army, you were one of their leaders, and those early choices you make set a lot of the starting state of the game."
"We tried to find choices that have different levels of impact, some of them are very large-scale, like the changing of an entire environment, some of them are "you ran into this NPC during the conquest he's now your enemy in the game""
"There is a mix of reactivity, based on that. Mainly because with any type of game generating art is one of the most expensive things you can do, so we couldn't make every single choice result in a complete difference in the art and environments you see, but we tried to make those moments feel very distinct and very impactful when they happen."

I was right about the Iceberg of Popamole it seems:
"One of the things we saw, looking at Pillars, it wasn't actually a six player party because you have characters with allied pets and summoned creatures, so sometimes that six person party would result in a lot of characters on screen. I think one of our programmers, before Pillars launched, put together a party that was full of chanters, all of them summoning skeletons, to create a giant horde of summons to swarm the enemy, it was his own version of the Zerg rush. It was very fun to watch, but it was also a lot harder to keep track of what's going on in combat when you have that many characters performing actions all at the same time. So one of the reasons we decided to go for a four person party is that, we kinda wanted combat to feel a little more faster paced Pillars, and with going with four people in a party it's much easier to keep track of the overall battle and because we have fewer party members we can have a smaller number of enemies in the encounters you're facing. So the overall number of actors moving around on screen is less and it's much easier for players to keep track of everything that's going on and really understand what abilities their allies are using, which caster is about to get off one of the powerful spells and you have to go and stop him before he can actually issue that spell. The reduced party size really helped with the overall streamlining of combat and making it much more faster-paced and a more personal experience."

Well, I was poking fun so far, but this indeed shows great promise of being shit.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah I don't get that either, PoE is so fast that even grazing disable durations still were enough to fuck someone up severely.

Weasel
I remember early in SCL development they said they wanted "faster" combat and a 4 pc party was better for that (and for consoles which they pretended weren't happening at the time)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm not sure if there's anything worse he could have said about the combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think by "fast" he doesn't mean literally how fast it goes when unpaused and the action is rolling. He means how fast it is to play and control for somebody who IS pausing and all that. Less stuff to control means that takes less time.

----

Interview notes:

As a Fatebinder in Kyros' empire, there will be political disputes between factions that you can mediate. Sometimes the parties will be unhappy and appeal to your boss. Brian describes one quest where you can take a bribe, then refuse to follow through on what you promised and accuse the briber of bribery. :P The way evil destroys itself is a theme of the game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Did they forget you can pause the game to assess battle situation and give commands?

No, I mean. I like the combat, but it's super fast without pausing. You either kill em all or TPK in seconds.
I know, I'm referring to the guy saying people can miss spells being cast etc because there's so many characters in each battle.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
As a Fatebinder in Kyros' empire, there will be political disputes between factions that you can mediate. Sometimes the parties will be unhappy an appeal to your boss. Brian describes one quest where you can take a bribe, then refuse to follow through on what you promised and accuse the briber of bribery. :P The way evil destroys itself is a theme of the game.

Well, that sounds interesting. WHo is writing again? To see if I should really be interested or not

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"You can't 100% avoid combat, but you can avoid some smaller combats using skills you developed with your character, and in others you may not be able to avoid the entire combat, but you may be able to weaken the encounter by intimidating one or two people and causing them to run away... so definitely we want conversations and skills to really play into the difficulty level, so somebody who wants to focus more on conversational options and approaches can get an advantage in combat that may make the encounter easier for them."

That makes social skills sound more like an extension of combat rather than a gameplay tool in itself. Maybe AoD has spoiled me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The interviewer says a lot of faction missions in FO:NV were just the same mission from alternate perspectives (uh, really?). Asks if Tyranny will have the same problem. Brian kind of confirms that yes, that will happen occasionally, but they hope to make these situations feel more distinct by contextualizing your actions with different motivations. The story will feel different depending on the path you take - certain events that happen in the game's plot won't make sense until you've played a certain path or sided with a certain faction. For example, a certain faction is attacking a village - you might just think they're being mindlessly aggressive on one path, or you might get to learn the reason why on another path.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Would you say that this streamlining, this decision to make it a classless system and reduce the party size from six to four is an attempt to maybe appeal to a broader audience than Pillars of Eternity?
Yeah, I think, I mean, Pillars was very successful in showing that this type of game, the Infinity Engine style isometric RPG, there is still a large audience out there that wants to play these games, that is excited about this type of game coming back and getting a resurgence and existing again in modern gaming. But I think with Tyranny we're not going for the same level of nostalgia that Pillars was focused on with their Kickstarter... So we're trying to change a few things, see if with more faster-paced combat, a smaller party, things that mainly would appeal to a certainly broad audience, but still having that same core that people who backed Pillars and loved that game, they'll still find a lot of the same elements in Tyranny that they loved in Pillars. So, well, our hope is that next will give us, say, a broader audience [...], and in the future that broader audience will also be in other titles we make, so we'll grow the audience for this type of game over time.

:lol:

Aaand console release?
Right now we are focusing on PC. I know there is a lot of demand for console port for these games, and it's certainly something that's possible, other games have done it. It's just a good amount of work to get the controls, not just functional but actually feeling good, and feeling like it's good console experience. So that's something we'll potentially tackle later on, but at least for the initial release the game is going to be on PC, Mac and Linux.

- You can choose to play without companions, but the devs wanted to make sure you at least run into them
- Romances are out ("at least in the initial release"), but there will be interaction with the companions in a similar way to PoE
- Stronghold - it's a different system, it's a player base, has upgrades, more info to be announced later.
- Paradox are letting them work in peace, no interference. Paradox are cool dudes, passionate about IE games, yadda-yadda, "played BGII"-street cred

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Brian says you can go rogue and not pick any faction to side with - just decide to kill everybody.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Would you say that this streamlining, this decision to make it a classless system and reduce the party size from six to four is an attempt to maybe appeal to a broader audience than Pillars of Eternity?

Yeah, I think, I mean, Pillars was very successful in showing that this type of game, the Infinity Engine style isometric RPG, there is still a large audience out there that wants to play these games, that is excited about this type of game coming back and getting a resurgence and existing again in modern gaming. But I think with Tyranny we're not going for the same level of nostalgia that Pillars was focused on with their Kickstarter... So we're trying to change a few things, see if with more faster-paced combat, a smaller party, things that mainly would appeal to a certainly broad audience, but still having that same core that people who backed Pillars and loved that game, they'll still find a lot of the same elements in Tyranny that they loved in Pillars. So, well, our hope is that next will give us, say, a broader audience [...], and in the future that broader audience will also be in other titles we make, so we'll grow the audience for this type of game over time...
There it is. It's like Kikestarter started another cycle of decline for the new generations.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It seems that you can make a full-scale alliance with at most one faction. Sounds like an important plot point.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Fry

Arcane
Oh, right. I did actually read this. Senility is creeping in.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ld-where-evil-won.107576/page-17#post-4434192

A few of the programmers rotated off of PoE on to this. Tim Cain, as was already pointed out. Dan Spitzley too.

Brian Heins is the Project Director.
Matt Singh is the Lead Producer.

Matt MacLean is on it - I believe as a senior writer (maybe the lead? not sure).

Constant Gaw is on the team - senior or lead level designer maybe? Not sure.

Brian Menze is the Lead Artist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom