Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Latro

Arcane
So Kyros is all-powerful and ebil, but he words his edicts in an extremely convenient way?

So in reality Kyros isn't evil, in the world of Trannt #bureaucracywins

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think their branding is pretty good - Tyranny as a name no so much, but the art style of their key visuals is very recognizable. And it has shown up on both GoG and Steam where I get most of my news about game anyway (those I happen to discover accidentally, which is - of course not the case for this game).
Feargus Urquhart has been involved in some of the worst product-naming I've ever seen recently! First "Fig", then "Tyranny"? How do you want people to find you if you name your products like that?

Wait, Feargus is involved in Fig?

:negative:
Isn't he on the advisory board?

Sannom

Augur
Not sure what you mean by unspoiled (unbiased?), but thanks. :salute:
Well, no, I meant "unspoiled" as in "apparently marketing-free". Most of the stuff you pointed out, the Conquest Mode, the naming thing in the Scarlet Chorus, aren't news to most of use here, I think.

Depending on the location you choose in the last portion of Conquest Mode, you're given an Edict to destroy everything in your path, and Kyros doesn't say anything about saving people, killing innocents or even your own. You're given the choice to kill everyone right away (Disfavored) or warn people about the Edict (Scarlet Chorus).
Spoilers. And I mean it, you may not know what it refers to yet.
Actually, it's not just you, two more Edicts were declared in the last year of the campaign, and you declare one of them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think their branding is pretty good - Tyranny as a name no so much, but the art style of their key visuals is very recognizable. And it has shown up on both GoG and Steam where I get most of my news about game anyway (those I happen to discover accidentally, which is - of course not the case for this game).
Feargus Urquhart has been involved in some of the worst product-naming I've ever seen recently! First "Fig", then "Tyranny"? How do you want people to find you if you name your products like that?

Wait, Feargus is involved in Fig?

:negative:
Isn't he on the advisory board?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ew-equity-based-crowdfunding-platform.102204/

Fairfax

Arcane
Fairfax which difficulty level you playing on? I recall reading/hearing that the edict time limit varies based on dificulty level.
Hard. Wish I went POTD, but the game doesn't let you change it to POTD mid-game.

So Kyros is all-powerful and ebil, but he words his edicts in an extremely convenient way?

So in reality Kyros isn't evil, in the world of Trannt #bureaucracywins
Not just that, they have various durations as well:
ynQQuSu.png

Well, no, I meant "unspoiled" as in "apparently marketing-free". Most of the stuff you pointed out, the Conquest Mode, the naming thing in the Scarlet Chorus, aren't news to most of use here, I think.
Oh, right. Yeah, I didn't know much going in, only the basic premise and some of the companions.

Depending on the location you choose in the last portion of Conquest Mode, you're given an Edict to destroy everything in your path, and Kyros doesn't say anything about saving people, killing innocents or even your own. You're given the choice to kill everyone right away (Disfavored) or warn people about the Edict (Scarlet Chorus).
Spoilers. And I mean it, you may not know what it refers to yet.
Actually, it's not just you, two more Edicts were declared in the last year of the campaign, and you declare one of them.
Yeah, I know, just an example.

3 Edicts were using during the conquest (at least in my game, but I think it's universal, just your involvement that changes): Fire, Stone and Storms.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Kyros has the power to create Edicts, which are basically scrolls with Kyros' orders that hold immense power and are activated once read out loud. He/she/it is immortal and can destroy a country at will with those, which is so ridiculously overpowered that it makes me wonder why they bother doing a normal military invasion in the first place.

What will he do, nuke the whole world then rule the ashes? Obviously Kyros wants to try to get people to obey first, that's why he sends you and says that either make them obey or it will get nuked, nuking is the last resort.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Techraptor streamer is playing the game past the embargo cut-off point here.

I do not have a Twitch account, so I post here in the earnest hopes that someone may report him to the authorities.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
He has apologized and is now deleting the video. Another blow to Tyranny's efforts at online penetration.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Fairfax do the weapons types still have unique modifiers like PoE or is the only difference the damage type?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I'd call a flop sub 400k honestly. 400k-500k I reckon they'll see it as "genre is fine, can consistently pitch at the 600k mark like Pillars of Eternity, just don't fucking release it at Christmas. Isometric games are a good call overall becauyse they pay their development costs and this thing will give us an unbelievable amount of residuals on Steam when we sell the game of the year edition for 20 dollars 15 years down the track and get strong residual sales like Morrowind does"

600k plus will be "huh maybe Christmas isn't such a bad idea,"

Some of the AAA titles had strugle gathering 200k in a month. So, Tyranny should be BG2: Shadows of Amn killer to achieve such financial success.

Did anybody saw today good video presentation how spell combos work ?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
For comparison's sake, Deus Ex: MD moved 370k units through Steam in its first 3 months. It's not a great comparison because MD is a multiplatform game, but I would not expect Tyranny to beat that number.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And speed, reach, -5 DR, higher damage compared to other weapons in its category, etc.

Fairfax

Arcane
No special modifiers mentioned in the wiki, and nothing in weapon descriptions either. This is what my current weapon's description looks like:
NMVfPSy.png

Very similar to PoE, nothing specific about the weapon type other than damage type. The attack skills (One-Handed Weapons in this case) go up as you use these weapons, but the game also has NPCs that can "train" specific skills if you pay them. You can only do it 5 times per level and it also increases your overall XP bar.
There are specific talents for each weapon type as well:
cmNIMIi.png

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some of the AAA titles had strugle gathering 200k in a month. So, Tyranny should be BG2: Shadows of Amn killer to achieve such financial success.

Did anybody saw today good video presentation how spell combos work ?

By 400k I mean 400k total. We can't know how fast it will sell through, it could steadily dribble htrough for months and hold up strong because PC gamers are bored in January and February.

It's about the total in the end, the game makers are patient, we can't predict whether it'll be strong early and it doesn't matter so much to them. If they have to push it with steam sales though that matters, but not so much, if they can move units then they know they can move units at any time of the year because there are peopel who like the game and are part of their market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom