Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny gets New Game+ patch and Event Pack DLC, Bastard's Wound expansion coming later this year

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Tyranny; Tyranny: Bastard's Wound; Tyranny: Tales from the Tiers

Back in March we learned that Obsidian were working on DLC for Tyranny, their 2016 RPG set-in-a-world-where-evil-won. Soon after that the game received a piddling portrait pack, with the promise of more significant content later on. Tyranny was a no-show at PDXCON last month, but Paradox management reassured us that something was on the way. Today that something has arrived. First of all, the game has received a significant new patch adding a New Game+ mode among many other changes. Second, there's a new DLC called Tales of the Tiers. Paradox are calling it an "Event Pack" and it claims to add new world map events, new quests and new dialogue to the game. Third, a full-blown Tyranny expansion pack called Bastard's Wound will be coming out later this year. It's set in a hidden enclave where refugees from Kyros' war are hiding, and will flesh out the game's notoriously barebones companions. Here's Paradox's press release about these new releases, which includes a short teaser trailer for the expansion:

New Area, Stories, and Characters Coming Soon in "Bastard's Wound"; Expanded Game Content Available Now in "Tales from the Tiers"

STOCKHOLM - June 13, 2017 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games for good and evil players alike, today announced new content for Tyranny, the award-winning role-playing game (RPG) developed by Obsidian Entertainment. Tyranny: Bastard’s Wound will launch later this year on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs, and will offer players a new major quest line set in the mysterious illegal settlement of Bastard’s Wound. Read more about the upcoming expansion here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/tyranny-bastards-wound

In addition, for players who can’t wait to experience new content, a new Event Pack has been released today, titled “Tales from the Tiers,” featuring new world events and expanded quests for the original Tyranny. Tales from the Tiers is available now; find it here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/tyranny-tales-from-the-tiers

Tyranny, an original RPG from Obsidian Entertainment, takes place in the fantasy realm of the Tiers, where evil has conquered the known world and it’s up to the player to decide what is right or wrong as a Fatebinder - to mercilessly enforce the law or recklessly flout it. During this quest, the player will encounter Bastard’s Wound, a settlement and refuge from the dark, war-torn world, established in secret as a haven for those fleeing the wrath of Kyros the Overlord. The player must decide what is to become of the inhabitants as they mete out Kyros’ justice.

Featuring new characters and storylines, Bastard’s Wound takes a closer look at the race of the Beastmen, the fate of the refugee settlements, and all-new companion quests featuring three of Tyranny’s most memorable party members: Verse, Barik, and Lantry. Bastard’s Wound will also arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending.

What’s more, players can explore new content starting today with a series of hidden stories from the world of Tyranny in Tales from the Tiers, a new Event Pack available now. The Event Pack features the untold stories of the many inhabitants of the hazardous, war-torn Tiers, including rebels, merchants, servants of Kyros, and even dangerous creatures. With new random encounter events, new quests, and new interactions with iconic Tyranny characters, Tales from the Tiers will allow players to experience a new facet of the game’s rich and compelling story.

For more information on Tyranny, please visit https://www.paradoxplaza.com/tyranny

The Tales from the Tiers event pack is available on Steam and GOG for $7. The base game is currently on sale with a 50% discount on both sites, and the Bastard's Wound expansion already has a Steam page as well. The full changelog for the new patch is available here. This is Tyranny's attempt at a comeback. Does it stand a chance?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Nope, not a chance... no one is playing this, and those that did have seen it for the mediocre experience that no expansion pack will save.

Another thing about this so called expansion. It really pisses me off that Obsidian continues with these types of expansions that dont expand the story and just add more shit to the mid game, a proper expansion continues where the game left off, like throne of bhaal, it provides closure if there was none, it provides continuity, i for one will never buy another expansion from obsidian if it means i need to restart the game again or continue from an earlier save.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Historically, base game expansions are more common than "sequel expansions". Thrones of Bhaal and Masks of the Betrayer are the exception to the rule. It's interesting how many people didn't know they disliked normal expansions until PoE had one.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Did I read somewhere that there's going to be another expansion after Bastard's Wounds, or am I thinking of something else?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Historically, base game expansions are more common than "sequel expansions". Thrones of Bhaal and Masks of the Betrayer are the exception to the rule. It's interesting how few people didn't know they disliked normal expansions until PoE had one.
Depends how you define it. Expansion gameplay elements being introduced in base game is normal but I don't remember having the expansion campaign shoved in the middle of the base campaign before playing Gothic 2 NOTR.

Also I think they took too long to release this. DLC is for when interest is dying not when it's dead.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was going to say that the only thing that might make me interested in giving this another go is if they added in a new route where you can stay loyal to Tunon and Kyros (or however you spell their names), which didn't seem likely but according to the Steam page:
Loyalty and Service: Bastard’s Wound will arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice-acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending. What fate awaits those who remain truly loyal to Kyros?

LilSassy

Novice
I feel like they looked at a list of things that were complained about and then just picked randomly from the middle of it instead of what was most complained about.

Deleted member 7219

Glad to see Tyranny is getting new content, but I think a significant post-ending expansion is needed.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Nope, not a chance... no one is playing this, and those that did have seen it for the mediocre experience that no expansion pack will save.

Another thing about this so called expansion. It really pisses me off that Obsidian continues with these types of expansions that dont expand the story and just add more shit to the mid game, a proper expansion continues where the game left off, like throne of bhaal, it provides closure if there was none, it provides continuity, i for one will never buy another expansion from obsidian if it means i need to restart the game again or continue from an earlier save.

It's a finish the game patch really.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't care where they throw the expansion pack in, but putting them after endgame just seems easier for the devs. POE's problem was it had a broken XP/progression curve, but that was broken before WM came in anyway.

Anyway, eh. Tyranny. Who needs more of that?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Lazy trailer. Probably the last we'll see of Tyranny.

I hope they leave RTwP to the Pillars franchise and try some other RPG archetypes.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Thanx but no thanx. Maybe if they fixed combat and added another whole chapter with a proper ending (not just world map encounters) i would consider it. However why replay tranny if i can do something more interesting and exciting like cleaning my toilet or doing laundry. Obsidian should just forget about it and concentrate on POE2.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Did anyone play the DLC that's already released? is it post-ending content or just random bits sprinkled into the main game?

Not starting another playthrough :M

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'll play the DLC.

Playing Tyranny was like eating Nacho Cheese Doritos. They're kind of boring, they're not very good for you, but they taste okay. You know there are much better things you can eat, but when you've got nothing else at the moment you might as well.

The only thing is that with Tyranny there's no orange cheese-like dust to lick off your fingers afterwords.

Au Ellai

Educated
I actually liked Tyranny. I mean, not enough to actually finish it as the combat was shit and the "omg you're a super god thing go collect stronghold towers now" hook to the story ruined what was actually a pretty rad storyline, but the setting and lore and all that was fuckin' awesome. I wish the game was a completely different game, but in the same world/setting/area. Also, that one companion that was consistently getting high off of his inks was pretty cool, and the conversation where you take all the different drugs and have the crazy dialogue options was pretty memorable, even if many of the other companions were lame. Hell, even though I liked that guy he still wasn't memorable enough for me to remember his name. I love the setting but hate the game but like the game because it lets me explore the setting. I guess at the end of the day that's still pretty dumb though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom