Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Tyranny gets New Game+ patch and Event Pack DLC, Bastard's Wound expansion coming later this year

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Tyranny; Tyranny: Bastard's Wound; Tyranny: Tales from the Tiers

Back in March we learned that Obsidian were working on DLC for Tyranny, their 2016 RPG set-in-a-world-where-evil-won. Soon after that the game received a piddling portrait pack, with the promise of more significant content later on. Tyranny was a no-show at PDXCON last month, but Paradox management reassured us that something was on the way. Today that something has arrived. First of all, the game has received a significant new patch adding a New Game+ mode among many other changes. Second, there's a new DLC called Tales of the Tiers. Paradox are calling it an "Event Pack" and it claims to add new world map events, new quests and new dialogue to the game. Third, a full-blown Tyranny expansion pack called Bastard's Wound will be coming out later this year. It's set in a hidden enclave where refugees from Kyros' war are hiding, and will flesh out the game's notoriously barebones companions. Here's Paradox's press release about these new releases, which includes a short teaser trailer for the expansion:

New Area, Stories, and Characters Coming Soon in "Bastard's Wound"; Expanded Game Content Available Now in "Tales from the Tiers"

STOCKHOLM - June 13, 2017 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games for good and evil players alike, today announced new content for Tyranny, the award-winning role-playing game (RPG) developed by Obsidian Entertainment. Tyranny: Bastard’s Wound will launch later this year on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs, and will offer players a new major quest line set in the mysterious illegal settlement of Bastard’s Wound. Read more about the upcoming expansion here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/tyranny-bastards-wound

In addition, for players who can’t wait to experience new content, a new Event Pack has been released today, titled “Tales from the Tiers,” featuring new world events and expanded quests for the original Tyranny. Tales from the Tiers is available now; find it here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/tyranny-tales-from-the-tiers

Tyranny, an original RPG from Obsidian Entertainment, takes place in the fantasy realm of the Tiers, where evil has conquered the known world and it’s up to the player to decide what is right or wrong as a Fatebinder - to mercilessly enforce the law or recklessly flout it. During this quest, the player will encounter Bastard’s Wound, a settlement and refuge from the dark, war-torn world, established in secret as a haven for those fleeing the wrath of Kyros the Overlord. The player must decide what is to become of the inhabitants as they mete out Kyros’ justice.

Featuring new characters and storylines, Bastard’s Wound takes a closer look at the race of the Beastmen, the fate of the refugee settlements, and all-new companion quests featuring three of Tyranny’s most memorable party members: Verse, Barik, and Lantry. Bastard’s Wound will also arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending.

What’s more, players can explore new content starting today with a series of hidden stories from the world of Tyranny in Tales from the Tiers, a new Event Pack available now. The Event Pack features the untold stories of the many inhabitants of the hazardous, war-torn Tiers, including rebels, merchants, servants of Kyros, and even dangerous creatures. With new random encounter events, new quests, and new interactions with iconic Tyranny characters, Tales from the Tiers will allow players to experience a new facet of the game’s rich and compelling story.

For more information on Tyranny, please visit https://www.paradoxplaza.com/tyranny

The Tales from the Tiers event pack is available on Steam and GOG for $7. The base game is currently on sale with a 50% discount on both sites, and the Bastard's Wound expansion already has a Steam page as well. The full changelog for the new patch is available here. This is Tyranny's attempt at a comeback. Does it stand a chance?

• Participation Award x 7
    • Brofist x 4
    • Shit x 3
    • Excited! x 3
    • meh x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Nope, not a chance... no one is playing this, and those that did have seen it for the mediocre experience that no expansion pack will save.

Another thing about this so called expansion. It really pisses me off that Obsidian continues with these types of expansions that dont expand the story and just add more shit to the mid game, a proper expansion continues where the game left off, like throne of bhaal, it provides closure if there was none, it provides continuity, i for one will never buy another expansion from obsidian if it means i need to restart the game again or continue from an earlier save.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Historically, base game expansions are more common than "sequel expansions". Thrones of Bhaal and Masks of the Betrayer are the exception to the rule. It's interesting how many people didn't know they disliked normal expansions until PoE had one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    • [citation needed] x 10
    • Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    I already hated them back in BG1. Threw the pacing of the game way off.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. eric__s ass lover Developer

eric__s
    Parrots:
    Did I read somewhere that there's going to be another expansion after Bastard's Wounds, or am I thinking of something else?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    Depends how you define it. Expansion gameplay elements being introduced in base game is normal but I don't remember having the expansion campaign shoved in the middle of the base campaign before playing Gothic 2 NOTR.

Also I think they took too long to release this. DLC is for when interest is dying not when it's dead.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. yes plz Arcane

yes plz
    Parrots:
    I was going to say that the only thing that might make me interested in giving this another go is if they added in a new route where you can stay loyal to Tunon and Kyros (or however you spell their names), which didn't seem likely but according to the Steam page:

^ Top  
  8. LilSassy Novice

LilSassy
    Parrots:
    I feel like they looked at a list of things that were complained about and then just picked randomly from the middle of it instead of what was most complained about.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Matt with a full stop at the end Arcane Patron

Matt with a full stop at the end
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Glad to see Tyranny is getting new content, but I think a significant post-ending expansion is needed.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  10. Maxie Scholar

Maxie
    Parrots:
    haha they want like 6 bucks for extra map encounters

• Funny Funny x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. Ezeekiel Educated

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    New game + ? Oh boy oh boy, who wouldn't want to replay tyranny... :roll:

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Wonderdog Neckbeard Shitlord's alt

Wonderdog
    Parrots:
    It's a finish the game patch really.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Ulfhednar Novice

Ulfhednar
    Parrots:
    Considering the size of most of Tyranny's maps, that sounds about right.

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Its paradox, what did you expect? These fuckers charge even more for sprite packs.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I don't care where they throw the expansion pack in, but putting them after endgame just seems easier for the devs. POE's problem was it had a broken XP/progression curve, but that was broken before WM came in anyway.

Anyway, eh. Tyranny. Who needs more of that?

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Zed Only played through AoD once

Zed
    Parrots:
    Lazy trailer. Probably the last we'll see of Tyranny.

I hope they leave RTwP to the Pillars franchise and try some other RPG archetypes.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Apan Savant Patron

Apan
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I will replay this for sure! Dunno if I'm gonna start immediately or wait for the second expansion

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again imweasel Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    Why?

^ Top  
  19. Matt with a full stop at the end Arcane Patron

Matt with a full stop at the end
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Because it is a good game. With at least 3 replays worth of replayability. And now it is getting more content.

• hopw roewur ne x 6
    • Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. GloomFrost Savant

GloomFrost
    Parrots:
    Thanx but no thanx. Maybe if they fixed combat and added another whole chapter with a proper ending (not just world map encounters) i would consider it. However why replay tranny if i can do something more interesting and exciting like cleaning my toilet or doing laundry. Obsidian should just forget about it and concentrate on POE2.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ormagöden Arcane Patron

Ormagöden
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Did anyone play the DLC that's already released? is it post-ending content or just random bits sprinkled into the main game?

Not starting another playthrough :M

^ Top  
  22. I'm With Her SausageInYourFace for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I liked the setting but the combat was mind numbing. Not sure if want.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Crispy The Sum of All Evils Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    I'll play the DLC.

Playing Tyranny was like eating Nacho Cheese Doritos. They're kind of boring, they're not very good for you, but they taste okay. You know there are much better things you can eat, but when you've got nothing else at the moment you might as well.

The only thing is that with Tyranny there's no orange cheese-like dust to lick off your fingers afterwords.

• Agree x 3
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. luj1 Learned

luj1
    Parrots:
    thats terribly rude of you, why don't you let cuckitron perform his daily shilling quota

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. mediocrepoet Prophet Patron

mediocrepoet
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity
    That trailer is impressively boring.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)